• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You folk are now digging deep and bringing back memories. Dinnefords, Beecham's pills, Gripe water. What about Fennings fever Cure, Yak!!!
Being in the RAF I was a true Brylcreem boy, and still am. Though very little hair now, if I don't use it I look as though I'm taking off. Now in a red plastic container and has become more difficult to get. Now made by Unilever

You folk are now digging deep and bringing back memories. Dinnefords, Beecham's pills, Gripe water. What about Fennings fever Cure, Yak!!!
Being in the RAF I was a true Brylcreem boy, and still am. Though very little hair now, if I don't use it I look as though I'm taking off. Now in a red plastic container and has become more difficult to get. Now made by Unilever
Johnny, I went back to Brylcreem after about 55 years! I a black tube in the US made by Combe available on Amazon!

Far more important Pete, the original proper liquid stuff contained morphine (or perhaps very originally it was opium). I gather much more dilute now, but it certainly helped settle my stomach 50myears ago
true all the old stuff has gone now,look at kaolin and morphine brill stuff back then.

Far more important Pete, the original proper liquid stuff contained morphine (or perhaps very originally it was opium). I gather much more dilute now, but it certainly helped settle my stomach 50myears ago
Mike, I think our stomachs were a little tougher 50 years ago but as long as it works!

true all the old stuff has gone now,look at kaolin and morphine brill stuff back then.
The best part of 50 years ago I was in digs in London. After a while I had a tummy upset and the doctor prescribed such a mixture. My landlady said she would put the bottle in her kitchen cupboard, "so it would be handy for meal times".
Imagine my feelings when I went to said cupboard and found four other identical bottles made out to previous lodgers!

I suspect that the real problem was that the landlady had a gas fridge which worked fine in the winter but not so well in the summer.

Anyone remember “Famel,” cough syrup, best thing ever for bronchitis or chesty coughs. it was removed from production by the EU, because it contained a coal tar based ingredient. One product that’s still around and that I use on a daily basand have done for sixty years is “Vosene“ hair shampoo, You remember the ads Vosene leaves your hair squeaky clean! That originally contained a coal tar smell, it does not now. Although the manufacturers claim it to be the original formula. It cost 7d in a little sachet.

I remember Dinnifords gripe water, there was always a bottle in the cupboard at moms. That distinctive taste, was it Caraway orJuniper? I found a Swedish or Danish Schnapps with the same taste as Dinnifords, that was called Maltesa Aquavita, (apologies spelling may be wrong) it did have the Maltese Cross as part of the logo. it was excellent served in a glass covered in ice crystals and drunk VERY COLD. worked just as like Dinnifords. Memories, ahhh!

Last edited:
Anyone remember “Famel,” cough syrup, best thing ever for bronchitis or chesty coughs. it was removed from production by the EU, because it contained a coal tar based ingredient.
Famel pastilles always used to work for me .... I suppose it was the Creosote in them!
I've got this tin which once contained Famel Pastilles, have not seen any for ages so I think they have faded away. The pic shows that one of the ingredients was Creosote ! I'm not sure, but I think Creosote has faded away.
Famel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back