• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far more important Pete, the original proper liquid stuff contained morphine (or perhaps very originally it was opium). I gather much more dilute now, but it certainly helped settle my stomach 50myears ago
true all the old stuff has gone now,look at kaolin and morphine brill stuff back then.

Far more important Pete, the original proper liquid stuff contained morphine (or perhaps very originally it was opium). I gather much more dilute now, but it certainly helped settle my stomach 50myears ago
Mike, I think our stomachs were a little tougher 50 years ago but as long as it works!

true all the old stuff has gone now,look at kaolin and morphine brill stuff back then.
The best part of 50 years ago I was in digs in London. After a while I had a tummy upset and the doctor prescribed such a mixture. My landlady said she would put the bottle in her kitchen cupboard, "so it would be handy for meal times".
Imagine my feelings when I went to said cupboard and found four other identical bottles made out to previous lodgers!

I suspect that the real problem was that the landlady had a gas fridge which worked fine in the winter but not so well in the summer.

Anyone remember “Famel,” cough syrup, best thing ever for bronchitis or chesty coughs. it was removed from production by the EU, because it contained a coal tar based ingredient. One product that’s still around and that I use on a daily basand have done for sixty years is “Vosene“ hair shampoo, You remember the ads Vosene leaves your hair squeaky clean! That originally contained a coal tar smell, it does not now. Although the manufacturers claim it to be the original formula. It cost 7d in a little sachet.

I remember Dinnifords gripe water, there was always a bottle in the cupboard at moms. That distinctive taste, was it Caraway orJuniper? I found a Swedish or Danish Schnapps with the same taste as Dinnifords, that was called Maltesa Aquavita, (apologies spelling may be wrong) it did have the Maltese Cross as part of the logo. it was excellent served in a glass covered in ice crystals and drunk VERY COLD. worked just as like Dinnifords. Memories, ahhh!

Last edited:
Anyone remember “Famel,” cough syrup, best thing ever for bronchitis or chesty coughs. it was removed from production by the EU, because it contained a coal tar based ingredient.
Famel pastilles always used to work for me .... I suppose it was the Creosote in them!
I've got this tin which once contained Famel Pastilles, have not seen any for ages so I think they have faded away. The pic shows that one of the ingredients was Creosote ! I'm not sure, but I think Creosote has faded away.
Famel.jpg

yes asda but dont taste the same now
The one time I tried it I spit it out, but perhaps thta was not the original. Looking at
asda website they list their own D & B but it says unavailable. They also list Fentimans, which may be more like the original, and lists many
Ingredients:
Carbonated Water, Fermented Ginger Root Extract (Water, Glucose Syrup, Ginger Root, Pear Juice Concentrate, Yeast), Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Pear Juice Concentrate, Caramel (E150a), Herbal Infusions (Dandelion Root, Burdock Root), Natural Flavourings
Should add though thst the one time I tasted Fentimans Ginger beer I thought it was not very nice and would never buy it again (for taste reasons apart from the ridiculous price)

Is there still Dandelion & Burdock pop? Used to love that!
There certainly is! Fentimans from the big supermarkets. Good stuff. Well I like it with a drop of dark rum. Again you can make your own given access to burdock. Loads grow by me, but these days I'm not in the city. Mom made this a few times. Much more often we made lemon barley water, or lemonade or set up a ginger beer plant.

Derek

Last edited:
Unfortunately not Lyn, it would be somewhere in southern England with the U.S, army parked up waiting for D day.
I had previously posted the pic in the D Day thread
I was a youngster at the time and Mom and dad had many brothers in the army and were worried, we listened all the time to the 'wireless' for news, but we all seemed glad. Later in the war my nan had a large map of Europe on her lounge wall and on it she pinned red flags showing progress from the east and union flags and stars and stripes moving from the west. We followed news of Monty and Ike and Joe Stalin who were our heroes at that time. There was an american army base near where I lived and I met my first 'yanks' as we called them, and also met and spoke to german PoWs who were temporarily held nearby. The picture below although not Brum, somehow reminds me of those times - they were parked and waiting - the kids played skipping ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back