• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toasting forks ... I remember toasting slices of bread on open fires and trying hard not to drop a slice in the ashes before handing it to mom for buttering.

Then we had a small gas fire without a guard and toasting with a fork became easier and more even.

Later we bought a gas cooker with a grill and and soon upgraded to an electric toaster and toasting forks just became part of my childhood memories. :)
Toast in front of an open fire with real tub butter has never been bettered.

Our toasting fork was a common brass one with, I think, a decorative ship on top and only 3 prongs. And of course toasters were a rare thing at one time and were unreliable. I had a great aunt who lived in Lozells who died in a house fire because of a faulty toaster. I think this must have been around the 1950s. The sad thing is, my dad was travelling on the bus and saw the fire at the house and knew it was his aunts house because her enormous sewing machine was in the window. Fortunately the safety measures now on electrical goods are better than back then.

Viv.
mine was a metal coat hanger bent and twisted to shape:grinning:

you have just taken me back to my childhood days living in villa street terence..toast done on an open coal fire....happy days

lyn
As my mother died when I was 3, I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandmother. My father had 4 allotments. I still grow my own shallots and pickle them. Late October and the first week in November I would sit in front of the open fire peeling shallots and filling the galvanised bath with them. Granny Lines lived to be 88 and I remember her what we’re call corned beef legs this was caused by standing in front of the open fire with her dress at the rear held up to get warmed up in winter.

As my mother died when I was 3, I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandmother. My father had 4 allotments. I still grow my own shallots and pickle them. Late October and the first week in November I would sit in front of the open fire peeling shallots and filling the galvanised bath with them. Granny Lines lived to be 88 and I remember her what we’re call corned beef legs this was caused by standing in front of the open fire with her dress at the rear held up to get warmed up in winter.
Filling the galvanised bath? - how many bottles did you fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back