• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately not Lyn, it would be somewhere in southern England with the U.S, army parked up waiting for D day.
I had previously posted the pic in the D Day thread
The BBC would probably use that photo to show that the roads have 'always' been full of traffic! They do like re-writing history.

My memories of skipping include girls being given fancy wooden-handled, ball bearing mounted (why?) ropes soon discarded in favour of cheap plastic washing line 'because it was faster'.

As previously noted mass street play by children is a rarity, in part because children are held captive in the home and only let out with siblings rather than being free to wander 'all day'.

Great Photo there. Wife and I only talking about skipping in the road and all the clever things some kids seem to do. Certainly could not do it today

Firecans as a 'street game' definitely gone out of fashion ... ;)
Firecans ...
Every September in the 1940's the 'firecan season' started. We would find tin cans and pierce lots of holes in them and fix long wire loops to our cans so they could be swung overhead. Small sticks and pieces of coal were put in the cans and set alight. The cans were then vigorously swung over and over and the rush of air got a real good blaze going as we tried to make our cans glow hotter than anyone else. Occasionally a wire loop would break with the can flying off and everyone would have to dodge the mass of hot coals scattered everywhere. I don't remember any of our parents stopping us but there were no shiny cars parked in our road in those days. The season only lasted about a week, we probably got tired of hot coals dropping on us. Thinking back it all seems daft - maybe it was the war affecting us !

The modern days kids and a few adults use wirewool now.
Reminds me of early days learning my craft in an electronics training workshop. An asbestos mat (it was a long time ago, they are out of fashion now) used for soldering practice on the bench, with a ball of wire wool on top. Charge a big capacitor up and then dip the terminals into the wool. Impressive spark and a glowing ball of wire wool.
Thinks, :imp: I have a ball of wire wool in the shed, and a concrete floor. And a capacitor. Hmmmm. Julie might be impressed. Or she might confiscate the capacitor.
Andrew.

Sitting on my patio yesterday, I was noticing the chestnut tree that hangs over one of my fences. There are lots of "conkers" on it and I couldn't help thinking about the fact that conker season for us kids in Aston meant going down the Bristol Rd to collect them. I have no idea if there were any closer by, but that was the way it was.
Dave A

"Proper" prams have gone out of fashion. I don't like these modern ones which are just carseats on a wheeled frame. the babies don't seem to have room to wriggle about and stretch. I had a second-hand pram but it was nice, in Summer there was a lovely canopy which I re-covered and there was a basket underneath for shopping. We had a wooden playpen too.
rosie.

Ok if shops are near, but not for going on bus. Someone came on the bus I as on the other day with one if the smaller versions and it was a pain to all concerned.

I used to walk everywhere then Mike (Can't anymore!).
The grandchildren had those buggies that look like deckchairs, easly folded, they are out of fashion too.
rosie.

Sitting on my patio yesterday, I was noticing the chestnut tree that hangs over one of my fences. There are lots of "conkers" on it and I couldn't help thinking about the fact that conker season for us kids in Aston meant going down the Bristol Rd to collect them. I have no idea if there were any closer by, but that was the way it was.
Dave A
We used to go to Handsworth Park, however the keepers frowned when we threw stuff at the trees to knock them down.

"Proper" prams have gone out of fashion. I don't like these modern ones which are just carseats on a wheeled frame. the babies don't seem to have room to wriggle about and stretch. I had a second-hand pram but it was nice, in Summer there was a lovely canopy which I re-covered and there was a basket underneath for shopping. We had a wooden playpen too.
rosie.
Rosie, back in the day every everyone walked and did not have cars. We also did not have that plastic that are used today. My pram was a Pedigree (I think) brand I recall it being passed throughout our family.

i loved the secret compartment in the bottom. and when the prams were no longer usable, off with the wheels and and onto a gowie
The 'secret' compartment cover could be left out allowing older children to sit up in the pram. The hood supports could be used to string a row of coloured objects on a piece of elastic. Mothers were able to face and talk to the child while walking, (nowadays talking to the back of the child's head while chatting on the mobile!). The pram could sit in the corner of a room while the mother was ironing or baking with the child and mother able to see each other, the springing of the pram meant that it could be easily bounced to calm a fretting baby, useful if mum's hands were wet or dirty. The size of the pram kept the mothers off the buses and got them walking, no bare midriffed 'elephants' in those days! The expression 'tossing toys out of the pram' makes sense when considering the capacity of one of these machines compared to modern 'buggies'.

Two prams of the type which have gone out of fashion show in the old photo and other items but it was 70 years ago ... :)
In the 1950s a mother and daughter push their prams across Wordsworth Rd at the junction with Coventry Rd.
index.php

Today the buildings on the left still exist although somewhat changed.
index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back