• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one of those cars, the weight of the stripes would have slowed it down. (I really coveted the 1600E, which mine certainly wasn't. I did have a pair of Lucas square eights on the front though) . Sue looks like she may be sat on a beaded seat cover.
Andrew.
The green go-faster stripes were to make it look like the Lotus version. I think they had a V6 engine, Webber carbs, high lift camshaft etc. Of course, people spray painted them on. I have a pal who did it. He was always claiming his was a “proper” Lotus version, till one day I sneaked up on him when he had the bonnet open.

What Birmingham products have gone/went out of fashion ? I actually like this one as it looks quite scientific. I bet kids of the 1880s loved to study it ! Was probably more humane (and alcoholic) than it’s replacement, the fly paper. Viv.

View attachment 154358
Brylcreem was a Birmingham made product which has gone out of fashion. Me Dad Les Bracey used copious amounts of it in the 1950's and 60's along with another men's hair product Brilliantine. I suppose the modern day equivalent is hair wax or fixer. What do other Brummie blokes on here think? Do you remember using it yourselves? I certainly didn't use it and have never used any hair products at all! Keith Bracey born 1958 just at the peak of Brylcreem use! By the way does anyone know where in Birmingham it was made and what the name of the Birmingham company that made it was? I would imagine Brylcreem to be a brand name and it was probably made by a chemical or pharmaceutical company? Keith Bracey

Brylcreem was a Birmingham made product which has gone out of fashion. Me Dad Les Bracey used copious amounts of it in the 1950's and 60's along with another men's hair product Brilliantine. I suppose the modern day equivalent is hair wax or fixer. What do other Brummie blokes on here think? Do you remember using it yourselves? I certainly didn't use it and have never used any hair products at all! Keith Bracey born 1958 just at the peak of Brylcreem use! By the way does anyone know where in Birmingham it was made and what the name of the Birmingham company that made it was? I would imagine Brylcreem to be a brand name and it was probably made by a chemical or pharmaceutical company? Keith Bracey
Brylcreem I think it must have started a long time ago as my father and all my uncles used it, all had a parting down the middle of the head. It seemed to suit the old man as he had a natural wave in his hair. Created in 1928 by County Chemical Company in Bradford Street Birmingham. Those that had straight hair it used to stick to their head and made them look like a member of Sparks the group. Now made by Unilever I think.

The green go-faster stripes were to make it look like the Lotus version. I think they had a V6 engine, Webber carbs, high lift camshaft etc. Of course, people spray painted them on. I have a pal who did it. He was always claiming his was a “proper” Lotus version, till one day I sneaked up on him when he had the bonnet open.
a 1500 block with a lotus head twin webber 40 dcoe carbs. i had a lotus mk 1

Brylcreem I think it must have started a long time ago as my father and all my uncles used it, all had a parting down the middle of the head. It seemed to suit the old man as he had a natural wave in his hair. Created in 1928 by County Chemical Company in Bradford Street Birmingham. Those that had straight hair it used to stick to their head and made them look like a member of Sparks the group. Now made by Unilever I think.
When I lived in Birmingham Brylcream came in a jar. Now in the US it’s in a tube and seems to be making somewhat of a comeback with the older generation. On the tube is says Combe Corporation in NY that maybe just for the US.
I recently started to use it as my hair tends to get dry after years of being oily for so many years. I only use a little dab compared to three fingers full! I tried all of the fancy conditioners my wife uses but the Brycleam works best and is about $4.50 a tube from Amazon. I hope they hang in for a few more years, maybe I need to buy a few extra tubes :)

The men with combovers would sick it down with Brylcreem

Thanks Pete, I thought is was some sort of go faster mod. They were quite nippy for the time. I wonder what the consumption was?
they were a very good engine.. my self i did not think the body was as good or as strong as a 1500 GT.or 1600E ver.

Setting lotion. Doubt many ladies still use it, maybe a few older and wiser ladies still do. I expect the setting lotion of yesterday (like Armani) will have been replaced by ‘fixing’ products such as ‘putty’. Must admit I’m fascinated by all the modern-day products. All we had in the 60s/70s was setting lotion, hairspray and home perms (doubt home perm kits are nowadays much in use either). Viv.

Most of us lads used Brylcreem back in the forties and fifties.
There was a story once that the company was overrun with export orders from some African country and sent out a rep to find out why, he found they were eating it as a delicacy.
The Beechams company was local to us in Coleford, the made and sold Carter's little liver pills, an old boy customer of mine said they made his pee bright green. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back