• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

goldingay family

L

lynn winterton

hi
looking for any info on the goldingay family, all i have is ada goldingay married george wright, there were 8 children, jack george bill,lily florence,ada nancy and amy. she originally lived in heath mill lane,deritend :)

hi dave
sorry no blucks or blook known in my family as far as i know.

Hi Lynn.
do you have any idea of timescale.
1881 has Ada Goldingay.
parents John James Edwards Goldingay / Elizabeth Mills
married 19th june 1865 St. Phillips
John b.1843 parents George Goldingay/ Mary Ann Edwards
married 6th October 1836 St. Phillips
Census entry.
Household Record 1881 British Census

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
John GOLDINGAY Head M Male 36 Aston, Warwick, England Warehouse Man
Elizabeth GOLDINGAY Wife M Female 33 Aston, Warwick, England
William GOLDINGAY Son Male 13 Aston, Warwick, England Scholar
Florance GOLDINGAY Daur Female 9 Aston, Warwick, England Scholar
Fredrick GOLDINGAY Son Male 7 Aston, Warwick, England Scholar
Alice GOLDINGAY Daur Female 5 Aston, Warwick, England Scholar
Ada GOLDINGAY Daur Female 3 Aston, Warwick, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 157 Clifton Road
Census Place Aston, Warwick, England

Hi,
I have the Goldingay's in my family. 'Aunty' Ada was my last real contact, and I saw her last a couple of years before she died in 1991.

I have vague details a couple of generations before but not as far back as the dates you list.

I worked with a man named Goldingay at BSA Tools factory, Kitts Green, Birmingham circa 1949-1959, sorry i can`t remember his first name, he lived with his wife & family in the Sheldon, Kitts Green area. Len.

I worked with a man named Goldingay at BSA Tools factory, Kitts Green, Birmingham circa 1949-1959, sorry i can`t remember his first name, he lived with his wife & family in the Sheldon, Kitts Green area. Len.

Hi all,

I remember an Alan Goldingay who worked as a salesman at R. White's
Soft Drinks in the late 60's/early 70s. I would think he was in his
twenties then, and he was very tall, - I recall he told me he
was 6' 6 1/2" tall.

Kind regards

Dave

Llyn one of my teachers was a Mrs Goldingay and she was living until quite recently somewhere in New Oscott Sutton Coldfield. Unusual name isn't it. She was a Miss M Byatt before her marriage. Jean.

I remember Alan Goldingay from Erdington Parish Church in the l950's. He may have been a bell ringer. He was very tall.

A family of goldingays used to live in nigel road washwood heath area about 1955. They were a tall familly. People i remember are alan , and i think his brother was roger and their sister valerie reg morris

I used to work with a lad called Jim Goldingay, late sixties early seventies. He was early twenties and worked for Kennings Tyre services. Seem to remember that he originally came from Birmingham but moved to the Tamworth area.

I did my early GEC Apprentiship with a GEORGE GOLDINGAY back in the mid 1950s ,Went Berrners St ELEC LAB from Aston Tec;

Last edited:
Hi George Goldingay, did work in the Big shop as an apprentice, when he came out of his, i believe he continue in the Big Shop at the GEC Witton, he later left and went to work at Sutton Coldfield College.

He was married and used to live in Court Lane Erdington.

I seem to remember both he and his family had a connection with a church in either Somerset Rd. or Jarvis Rd. off Court Lane but O could be wrong?.

Sadly George died a few years ago, I must say a nicer chap you could n't wish to meet.

Ray

I was at school with a Sheila Goldingay.My mother worked with a relative of hers.This would have been in the 50s I think.Sheila would have been at cockshut Hill school,leaving in 1952.Margaret

I was at school with a Sheila Goldingay.My mother worked with a relative of hers.This would have been in the 50s I think.Sheila would have been at cockshut Hill school,leaving in 1952.Margaret
Sheila could have been the daughter of the man i worked with the 50`s yrs you have given tie up with the years i knew him. Len.

Hi ada was my great great nan and lil was my great nan :) were currently searching all this out so anymore info on the goldingay family would be great

hi
looking for any info on the goldingay family, all i have is ada goldingay married george wright, there were 8 children, jack george bill,lily florence,ada nancy and amy. she originally lived in heath mill lane,deritend :)

Hi Lynn Lily was my nan, ada my great grandmother her parents were John and Gemma goldingay, I would be interested if you have got any further on this as only just started this tree, I can tell you that ada, s husband George died in ww1 16 May 1915 aged 36 at the battle of festubert. Will post more findings as I go along :)

I went to Saltley Grammar School, Belchers Lane, Bordesley Green, with a lad called David Goldingay, he would have been born in around 1957 as he was slightly older than me.

Hi I went to school with a Christopher Goldingay he had a brother named Brian and 2 sisters the one was named Ann cant remember the other one they lived in Devon St Nechells

More info on Alan Goldingay born 1943-2007. The Alan I knew did work at one time for R.Whites pops. I was engaged to him for three years from age 18/21. He was 6' 5" that I remember, I was 5' 2'. He lived in Washwood Heath/Saltley area. Cannot remember the road now. He was my first boyfriend. I remember him having an older sister and brother. His mother was a lovely lady. I encouraged him to learn to drive so he could get a better job and save to get married,(not to be as it so happens) then found him the job at R.Whites.
I discovered from the Ancestry site that he sadly died in 2007 and the picture posted there of the girl holding a baby, in the photo, alongside Alan is me. I remember being godmother to a baby, but cannot remember who it was as it is many years ago. I have many photos, these must have been taken in 1964/5

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 41
Hi Jel,

My wife and I were talking about tall people today, and Alan came up in the conversation.
Bearing in mind that it is at least 43 years since I last saw him, and 6 1/2 years since my posting to this thread,
you could have knocked me over with a feather when the first thing I saw when I opened my eMail tonight
was the alert to your posting.
I remember Alan as a really nice chap, and I am sorry to hear of his untimely departure.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Jel,

My wife and I were talking about tall people today, and Alan came up in the conversation.
Bearing in mind that it is at least 43 years since I last saw him, and 6 1/2 years since my posting to this thread,
you could have knocked me over with a feather when the first thing I saw when I opened my eMail tonight
I remember Alan as a really nice chap, and I am sorry to hear of his untimely departure.

Kind regards
Dave
Glad you saw the post. Yes, although I had no further contact after we parted, (50 years ago) cannot believe where time has gone, it was still a shock to see he passed in 2007. Cheers, all the best.

Hi Jel,

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave are you David goldingay went to school with Stephen cherry

Hi,

No sorry I'm not that David.
I worked at R Whites in Western Road from 1966 - 73, and Alan was a salesman during that time

Kind regards
Dave
Ahh didn’t think so but worth a try. Thanks for advising I have family in Canada. I just lovenit there

My great grandfather Walter Starkey lived with Charles and Mary Goldengay and family in 1871. He was a Nurse Child, age 2. They lived in Kingsbury Road Aston.

Used to go to school with a lad named Goldingay till1955 At Lea Village.We lived in Glebe Farm by Howden Place.He lived in Bushbury RD

Last edited:
Back