• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

golden hillock road shops

bhatti

master brummie
any one have any photos of a patch between small heath railway station and cooksey road waverley rd junction,there were all kinds of shops in this few hundred yards

thankyou very much Professori,very nice. i can recognize the 4th picture the roundabout junction of cooksey rd,glovers rd wordsworth rd and waverley rd.but it will take a bit of time recognize the others although they are from round the corner from where i once used to live bolton rd

thankyou very much Professori,very nice. i can recognize the 4th picture the roundabout junction of cooksey rd,glovers rd wordsworth rd and waverley rd.but it will take a bit of time recognize the others although they are from round the corner from where i once used to live bolton rd

Photos 1 & 2 looks to be the junction of Golden Hillock Rd and Coventry Rd looking either way. Photo 3 was in fact between Bolton Road and Cooksey Rd and that piece of the road disappeared when they were building the new bypass.

Photo four is definitely the Golden Hillock Road roundabout looking toward the Coventry Road, with the entrance gates to Small Heath Park just out of view to the right.

Eddie

Photos 1 & 2 looks to be the junction of Golden Hillock Rd and Coventry Rd looking either way. Photo 3 was in fact between Bolton Road and Cooksey Rd and that piece of the road disappeared when they were building the new bypass.
from bolton rd corner there was iron mongers papershop and mybe bakery too looking towards coventry rd on the left and drapers across the road

I worked for the sculptor, William Bloye at an old house on Golden Hillock Rd seems like there was a roundabout there that the BSA bike testers rode bikes around, left groves in the road. Also Billy Gameson had a bike shop there, this was in the 1950s. John Crump Parker Colorado USA

This is a listing from the 1955 edition of Kelly's Directory which would be around the time of the photo.

here are Glovers & Cooksey Rd

91 Ideal Stores, wine & spirit mers
95 Parr Mrs. Ellen
99 Barnett Wm
101 Currow Mrs. Catherine
103 Ormondroyd Albt.E
111 Bloye Wm. sculptor
113 & 113A, Hickin F. M.sighwriter
113B, Hayfield Norman,fried fish dlr
115 Crown Steam Bakeries(Birmingham) Ltd
119 Bricusse Oedric, who,newsagt
121/121a, Station Fireplace Supplies Ltd
123 Jill's Cafe, dining rms
123A, Midland Patent Hinge Supply Ltd.
125 Raybould'Mrs.Florence,fruitr
127 Enterprise Joinery & Timber Supply Co.shop & office fitters
129 Astley Harry, hairdrssr
131 Ledbrook's, newsagts
133 Shotton Harry Ltd.pawnbrokers

here is Bolton Rd

A couple more photos of the area of Golden Hillock Rd from Bolton Rd to Cooksey Rd, these two photos and the last one were taken around 1956-57, the first photo shows the corner of Bolton Rd.

Attachments

• Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd 1956 (2).JPG
    Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd 1956 (2).JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd  - Byron Rd.JPG
    Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd - Byron Rd.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 70
Phil:

its been a hundred years or more since I was last there, but on posting #9. the first photograph, to me, looks as if it is taken looking towards Bolton Road, on the right, and the second photograph appears to have been taken from the crossroads at Bolton Road and Byron Road, with Bolton Road on the left. The central bollards were at those crossroads.

Eddie

Eddie

That is more or less what I said, the first one shows the corner of Bolton Rd and the second one although I don't say it looks toward Cooksey Rd, so your memory can't be that bad.

Thanks Phil for that memory assurance. Much appreciated.

Having left Golden Hillock Road Seniors at the end of 1948, my memory of the area is a little hazy. The father of one of my school chums was the caretaker at the school on Byron Road. Cannot remember the name of the school, and another school chum, who lived on Bolton Road, lost his younger brother when a wall, in Bolton Road, collapsed on him.

My apology. I have slightly moved away from 'shops'.

It was a long time ago now.

Eddie

Eddie

The School off Byron Rd was called Waverley Grammar in my day, it's still there today but has gone through several reincarnations today it is known as Small Heath School.

SAVE0344.2.jpgSAVE0343.jpgSAVE0342.2.jpgSAVE0338.1.jpgSAVE0337.2.jpg

Here are a few more of Glovers Rd and Small Heath Park from the winter of 1982 when we used to have seasons and snow-anyone remember?

111 William Bloye the sculptor I worked for, This was an old house Mt Bloyr had his studio in the back of the property. NOW does anyone remember the bike shop at 112 Golden Hillock Rd. Billy Gameson owned the shop and I did a lot of business with him. John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

Ref: Post #18.

In 1947, my friend and I would dash out of the Seniors, at Golden hillock Road School at mid day, run up the hill past the B.S.A, and Armoury Road, seen of the right of the photo, to catch sight of the mid day Birmingham London Express out of Snow Hill station, which always passed through Small Heath station around 12.10.

What I find interesting about this photo is, if you look closely, there is a man looking over the bridge parapet, down onto the London main line.

Also, just before the Sydenham Public House, and on the same side, was a café, where many of the B.S.A. workers would go into at lunch time. This was owned, and ran, by Mr & Mrs Edwards. Gordon, their son, was a great friend. The café shown, on the corner of Armoury Road, was also very popular with the workers.

All disappeared, I assume.

Eddie.

Ref: Post #18:

Was Kenways office in Moor Street, between Albert Street & the bottom of Dale End. I do know that there was a small brewery there, and the name rings a faint bell from nearly seventy years ago? All disappeared now, of course.

Eddie

Back