• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Golden Hillock Road School

I have received a few comments about my School Leaving Certificate, delighted to say, all nice, but I have been giving more thought about those days.

Golden Hillock Road School was surrounded by industry, and my school friends, who left school that December, went straight into work, mainly factories, or railway. (Trust me to start work in a music store!).

I left school, and the following day I commenced work in the music store, aged 15 and two months. It was immediately prior to Christmas, and all that I did was make tea, and sweep up, but I was surrounded by customers and musical instruments. I thought I was in heaven.

In 1948 the UK was still recovering from a world war, but we were still a world power in industry, and Birmingham was at the heart of it.

B.S.A; I.C.I; Fisher & Ludlow; Rover; Singer; James; Austin; Serck; Bakelite; Lucas; Dunlop; l..M.S & G.W.R sheds, and marshalling yards; Hercules & Royal Enfield; Cadburys; Castle Bromwich Aircraft factory, and hundreds of other industries, business', shops, 60 or so cinemas. Everyone could find employment. The evening newspapers would be full with 'Situations Vacant' adverts.

To be out of work, or not having a roof over your head, was by choice. One could walk out of a job on the Friday, and start work elsewhere on the Monday. This would have been true of many cities around the U.K.

Sadly, nearly all of the mentioned brand names, now lost, in the mist of time, or overseas competition.

It is an illustration of how Birmingham, and the world has changed.

Give me my Golden Hillock School Leaving Certificate, and that era, over any modern qualification.

Arguably, todays youth has greater worldly opportunities, but whatever their background/qualifications, they also have the huge worry of holding a job down, and keeping a roof over their head. I now have children, and adult working grandchildren, all with excellent college/university qualifications. No job, or profession, can now be called 'A job for life' .

Of course, if one has never known it, one does not miss it.

Eddie

Last edited:
I have received a few comments about my School Leaving Certificate, delighted to say, all nice, but I have been giving more thought about those days.

Golden Hillock Road School was surrounded by industry, and my school friends, who left school that December, went straight into work, mainly factories, or railway. (Trust me to start work in a music store!).

I left school, and the following day I commenced work in the music store, aged 15 and two months. It was immediately prior to Christmas, and all that I did was make tea, and sweep up, but I was surrounded by customers and musical instruments. I thought I was in heaven.

In 1948 the UK was still recovering from a world war, but we were still a world power in industry, and Birmingham was at the heart of it.

B.S.A; I.C.I; Fisher & Ludlow; Rover; Singer; James; Austin; Serck; Bakelite; Lucas; Dunlop; l..M.S & G.W.R sheds, and marshalling yards; Hercules & Royal Enfield; Cadburys; Castle Bromwich Aircraft factory, and hundreds of other industries, business', shops, 60 or so cinemas. Everyone could find employment. The evening newspapers would be full with 'Situations Vacant' adverts.

To be out of work, or not having a roof over your head, was by choice. One could walk out of a job on the Friday, and start work elsewhere on the Monday. This would have been true of many cities around the U.K.

Sadly, nearly all of the mentioned brand names, now lost, in the mist of time, or overseas competition.

It is an illustration of how Birmingham, and the world has changed.

Give me my Golden Hillock School Leaving Certificate, and that era, over any modern qualification.

Arguably, todays youth has greater worldly opportunities, but whatever their background/qualifications, they also have the huge worry of holding a job down, and keeping a roof over their head. I now have children, and adult working grandchildren, all with excellent college/university qualifications. No job, or profession, can now be called 'A job for life' .

Of course, if one has never known it, one does not miss it.

Eddie

Whilst browsing the site I came across a ref. to Golden Hillock Road School and a leaving cert. It reminded me that I have one from 1934, it belonged to my late Uncle, when he died in 2015 I decided that rather than throw away the many pieces of paperwork that he had kept over the years I would keep them. Not sure what the "standard completed" figure means though, anybody got any ideas?

Attachments

• Leaving cert..jpg
    Leaving cert..jpg
    526 KB · Views: 14
Hi, I am trying to trace member's of my family who I believe lived in Golden Hillock Road between 1920's & 1950's, my grandfather was George Birch but
that is the only name I have, does anyone recall a Birch family?

Regards
Pete Hayward

Eddie Haynes, Norfolk Brummie that I know went to the school, I am deeply sorry to report, passed away a few months ago. He was a lifelong friend of mine and is sorely missed., John Crump

Attachments

• England Sept 2015 040.JPG
    England Sept 2015 040.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 28
My father and aunt attended this school in the 1920s, here is a photo of my dad in the school football team around 1924, he is the one on the bottom far right.View attachment 46150
Hi .. my dad & his brothers were at the school right through the 20's? They all lived just around the corner in Medley road. He went on to work at the BSA before being called up for war service in 39? Just wondering of your pic is of a group? My aunt is still living in the same family home to this day..

My father and aunt attended this school in the 1920s, here is a photo of my dad in the school football team around 1924, he is the one on the bottom far right.View attachment 46150

hi john is there any chance you could re post your photograph please as we cant seem to view it for some reason

cheers

ly

Hi, I am trying to trace member's of my family who I believe lived in Golden Hillock Road between 1920's & 1950's, my grandfather was George Birch but

Regards
Pete Hayward
Hi Pete, my family lived in Sparkhill and Sparkbrook between 1911 and 1958. There was an uncle named George who eventually moved to Tyndale road, Tyseley. He worked at the SERCK radiator if I recall correctly.

Was your father in charge of the Lifeboys; I remember the leader before we went up to the Boys Brigade.

The teachers I remember were Miss Pargeter; Mr Frankish

Mr Barnett; Miss Venables; the Head, Miss Burwood.

When I left I went to Moseley Grammar School.

Best wishes

Trevor Rawlings
I remember your name and Robin Searles. I think we may have been in the same class. I also had Mrs Harrison in the wooden building. I remember her teaching us to tell the time, I was there between 1952-58. I remember teachers, Burwood, pargetter, Josuah, Harrison. I went on then to Yardley Grammar.

Regards
Pete Hayward
Hi.. I had an uncle (Albert William Brown) who married a Doris Ada Birch on 5th August 1929 and who lived at 96 Warwick St with her family. Her father's name was William Herbert Birch and was employed as a Carter. Warwick street is only a short distance from Golden hillock road so could very well be related? Hope this helps .. Good luck ...

Hello folks. Does anyone remember a teacher called Barry Bowker from the 1970's and 80's. He was head of lower school and had a back injury caused by someone pulling a chair out from under him when he was sitting down as a young man.

I was a Golden Hillock pupil about 1961-65 and I well remember the formidable Mr Travers who taught English. I believe he was the one with a selection of canes, one of which he called "whistling willy". Mr Matthews the music teacher was equally cane-happy, and he once caned me for idly picking at a splinter in a chair while listening to some classical music he was playing us. I think the charge was vandalism! There was also Mr Minton, the science teacher and an ex-RAF man, and also old Mr Marsden who taught woodwork. I forget the art teacher's name, but he was an easy-going younger man who wore the classic leather patches on the elbows of his jacket.

Regards, Ray T
Yep remember the for mentioned teachers well do you remember The Head Mr Bloxom, PE Mr Scott, Metal Work Mr Timmins, and YES THE DAYS BEFORE SCHOOL UNIFORM !!!!!!

Attachments

• SCHOOL.jpg
    SCHOOL.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 10
Yep remember the for mentioned teachers well do you remember The Head Mr Bloxom, PE Mr Scott, Metal Work Mr Timmins, and YES THE DAYS BEFORE SCHOOL UNIFORM !!!!!!
Was it Mr Timmins? or Mr Timms? He was the Metalwork Teacher during my time at Golden Hillock (1963-68), Hated metalwork, so boring, so when the opportunity came in I swopped for Art lessons. Was useless at Art but preferred it to Metalwork! Then I spent my working life (50 years) working with nothing else! I also remember Mr Bloxham (Head) Mr Simpkins (Deputy Head) Mr Matthews (Music) Mr Scott (PE) Mr Oddy (Woodwork) Mr Briscoe (Woodwork & 5th Form Tutor) Mr Minton (Science) Mr Travers (Maths & 4th Form Tutor) Mr Bowker (History) Mr Davis (First Form Tutor) etc

You may be right I could not be 100% correct with the spelling. I was also involved when it changed from a boys school to comprehensive in fact that's where I MEET MY WIFE ALL THEM YEARS AGO

You may be right I could not be 100% correct with the spelling. I was also involved when it changed from a boys school to comprehensive in fact that's where I MEET MY WIFE ALL THEM YEARS AGO
The school went comprehensive in September 1968. We used to watch the new buildings going up from the top floor of the 'New' block! As we were leaving the school was supposed to be entering a bright new future.

May 1968 - Class 5 outside the main entrance to the Senior School - Mr Simpkins (Deputy Head) on the left hand side
& Mr Briscow (form Tutor) on the right hand side
1656341455981.jpeg

When I was their Mr Briscow was the Woodwork Teacher
Yes, he took us for woodwork in the first year in a room on the top floor of the 'New block'. Later years was with Mr Oddy in the separate woodwork/metalwork block.
I take it that your moniker means your birth year? If so, you could have been in the same year as my brother Steve. I do have a class photograph of that year that I could put up?
Dave

Yes I remember the woodwork room on the top floor well. My first teacher was Mr Flowers and I remember Mr Oddy (with his dog) and Mr Timmins as the Metalwork Teacher. I also remember when the new metalwork / woodwork block opened with Briscow and Oddy and the ground floor and Timmins and Dennis Watts on the first floor. When the school changed to comprehensive that's when I meet my now wife. The Teacher centre was Mr Timmins and I am second row from the top and second one in from the left and my name was Paul Whitehead

Attachments

• SCHOOL.jpg
    SCHOOL.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 13
A little bit before my time Viv, but I believe that was the teachers staff room window behind them where teachers used to spy on pupils in the play-ground!

Dave
Yes, Dave, I think the group are standing in front of the teachers' staff room. I remember that window as the one Mr Matthews the music teacher glared at me through right after I'd slung a snowball that hit his car, maybe 1963-64. Matthews was one of the cane-happy teachers and I got sore hands for that.

You are correct the windows in the back ground was the staff room.Travers and Mathews (music teacher) were experts at giving the stick as I recall but who remembers Mr Langley he was an expert a chalk and blackboard rubber throwing !!!! and Mr Bowker cannot remember what he was good at :)

Hello folks. Does anyone remember a teacher called Barry Bowker from the 1970's and 80's. He was head of lower school and had a back injury caused by someone pulling a chair out from under him when he was sitting down as a young man.
Hi yes i remember him he wrote a book B. M. Bowker, Golden Hillock Boys, 1910 to 1960

Hi, Tim. What fascinating memories of those woodworking classes. I've always remembered the woodwork teacher when I was at Golden Hillock in the early 60s as old Mr Marsden. Could that have been your Mr Marslake? Or was my Mr Marsden really Marslake? Anybody else remember either name?

Ray T.
Mr Marsden is correct, he tried to teach me from 1954 to 1958, poor but lovely man.

Back