• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Boys

Didn't find Boulton, Watt & Murdoch statue at the Museum Collections Centre last Sunday, but spotted this in the Warehouse!

William Bloye - Birmingham Civic Society - The City Beautiful.

Golden Boys are scheduled to reappear according to Chris Rice from a excellent Monday lecture on James Watt last December.

To be honest when I first saw the trees I could only see three, It was only when I looked from the Library I saw that there were four, they may be more to be planted at the moment it is like a building site, they (the builders) have started to get the ground ready on the other side of the road to prepare for the trees to be planted

Should be three trees! I will tell Mr Bloye when I see him.

This how they did look when I left in 1957 for the USA I think the City should remove the gold and bring them back to the original finish. By the way I had to laff when Mr Bloye was working on them The three male models in full costume would be out back of the studio smoking fags and joking around. Is anyone else, who is a member of this group, that worked for Mr Bloye, the same time I did 1948 (Age 15) to 1951 (when I went in the RAF) I would love to swap stories. Of course, I was the youngest there then, so most are probably long gone now

Attachments

• brum 001.jpg
    brum 001.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 27
Empty plinth seen in Centenary Square near Broad Street. This is to the right of Symphony Hall. Hopefully William's Bloye's plinth will come back as well as the statue of Boulton, Watt & Murdoch. Assume it will face Broad Street, although the section with the Tram Stop will be classed as Centenary Square.

Didn't find Boulton, Watt & Murdoch statue at the Museum Collections Centre last Sunday, but spotted this in the Warehouse!

William Bloye - Birmingham Civic Society - The City Beautiful.

Been told statues usually packed away in crates, did you by any chance ask staff there.

No. I may have seen some crates, but if they were sealed wouldn't know what was in them. So will have to wait until the sculptures are back in the streets / squares. In this case waiting to see Boulton, Watt & Murdoch back again in Centenary Square. How much more months to wait I don't know?

I only saw the old Thomas Attwood statue in an open crate, still vandalised (I posted about that last year on another thread).

Been told statues usually packed away in crates, did you by any chance ask staff there.
When Mr Bloye recast the Queen Vic statue, it was installed on the plinth, I got the job of carving the inscription.The statue was missing some parts at first.

It may be some time till the Golden Boys appear on their new Plinth in the square, apparently they will move to their new plinth when the work on the glass frontage to the ICC is finished the work on the frontage will be to close to the plinth and they do not wish to damage the Golden Boys, how true this I have no idea? I am only relating what I was told

Back