• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Boys

A reminder from 2009 outside the now demolished House of Sport / ex Register Office. They have been in storage since last year (I think).

Boulton, Watt & Murdoch by William Bloye.

Willian Bloye started working on this in the early 1950s He used men, dressed in the period correct costumes as models. I even got to model in clay, the figures. as a project in 1951 before I went in RAF

For those in Birmingham, or who plan to visit in September, there is a small exhibition on the work of William Bloye running at the Gunmakers Arms Sept 3rd-29th. Possibly a good place to relax after visiting one of the Heritage Week happenings

William Bloye and the Art Deco building of Birmingham

· Hosted by Gunmakers Arms

Kevin's exhibition celebrates the neglected work of William Bloye and the Art Deco building of Birmingham. William Bloye was Birmingham's unofficial civic sculptor.

His work can be seen all over Birmingham adorning everything from Art Deco gems to Pubs and even a supermarket! William James Bloye ARBSA (8 July 1890 – 6 June 1975) William Bloye studied, and later, taught at the Birmingham School of Art (his training was interrupted by World War I when he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps from 1915 to 1917. He also studied stone-carving and letter cutting under Eric Gill around 1921. In 1925 he became a member of the Birmingham Civic Society, His studio was at 111, Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath, Birmingham where a blue plaque now marks the spot. As Birmingham's unofficial civic sculptor he worked on virtually all public commissions including libraries, hospitals and the University. He often carved bas-relief plaques, typically for public houses in Birmingham, and decorated many buildings by the architect Holland W. Hobbiss.

Bennetts hill, one of the cavings, done by his workers, including me, a mere apprentice. I worked at the studio, in an old two-story Victorian house, that was on Golden Hillock Rd. There was a roundabout, that the motorbike testers from BSA raced around, Mr. Bloye his personal studio, was in the back of the property, Mr. Bloye had many different projects. that we worked on. repairing plaster cornices on old stately homes from bomb damage. Painting train time posters. Carving inscriptions at Lodge Hill Cemetary are a few that I worked on, for the three years, I was there until I went in RAF age 18. I may be the oldest that is still alive, that worked for him

Attachments

• Sculptor 001.jpg
    Sculptor 001.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 20
Would anyone have a photo of the House, on Golden Hillock Rd That Mr. Bloyes studio was in, that I worked at in the 1950s???

i am no expert on plinths but it just looks like a brick wall to me:D although looking at what the boys are sitting on on post 101 it could be a plinth after all

If I look at the back view of the "boys" as shown in #61 it looks similar in design to the "plinth" in #108. I wondered if it was going to be capped in some way with stone before the "boys" were positioned.

Pretty sure they will use the original plinth. If it's at the Birmingham Museum Collection Centre, may check it out if I go on Sunday on one of those heritage buses.

Then again the original Robert Peel plinth was left in Calthorpe Park and they put him on a modern one!

A reminder from 2009 outside the now demolished House of Sport / ex Register Office. They have been in storage since last year (I think).

Boulton, Watt & Murdoch by William Bloye.

I remember just after one New Years Eve in the mid 60's , the central figure of this monument was seen holding a park drive packet, struck me as funny at the time

This one survives in the Birmingham Museum Collection Centre which you can see on an Open Day tomorrow! Also my Raymond Mason.

"A Tragedy in the North. Winter, Rain and Tears"
depicts a scene after a mining disaster in the north of France.
It is made from epoxy resin and painted with acrylic.

Back