• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golby

A

autumnfairy

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for information on the Golby family.

Some of the streets that may be relevant are: Fenton Street, Kings Road, Hospital Street, Franklin Street and possibly a few others.

The names that I have are:

George & Sarah A C Golby

children:

Elsie,  Ernest, Jemima Florence (known as Florence), Elizabeth, Frederick, Thomas, Alfred, Betty, George

If you know any information or can even supply snippets of information or pictures I would be so grateful

Kind Regards & Best Wishes to all     :)
Susan.

:angel: Welcome Susan , sure someone will be able to help, but what years are you looking for in connection with these names?

thanks for the welcome Chris and the year prompt as I had forgot about this, :eek:

the years could be anywhere between 1900 and 1970 at a rough estimate

:angel: Susan here are some that could be your family from the FreeBMD site :

Marriages Mar 1905
GOLBY George Henry Birmingham
6d 38
SMITH Sarah Ann C .‚.. Birmingham
6d 38

Surname.‚.. .‚.. .‚..First name(s).‚.. .‚.. .‚..District.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚...‚.. .‚..Vol.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. Page.‚..

Births Jun 1907
GOLBY Elsie .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚...‚.. .‚...‚.. Aston.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..6d 410

Births Mar 1909
GOLBY Ernest .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚.. Birmingham.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..6d 15

Births Jun 1910
GOLBY Jemima Florence.‚...‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. Birmingham.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..6d 24

The Marriage seems right and so does Jemima's birth. However there are other birth's with the same names as you posted, but these seemed the most likely you could check for yourself at:
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Hope this is of help to you

GOOD MORNING AUTUM, I HAVE COME ACROSS A FAMILY CALLED GOLBY , AND THEY ARE OF A JEWISH RELIGION, AND THE LADY ATTENDS THE JEWISH SYNOGOGE WHICH IS THE MAIN ONE IN BIRMINGHAM AND ITS ON THE PERSHORE ROAD EDGBASTON B,HAM . IF YOU WRITE OR PHONE THE OFFICE ,THERE THEY MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU , CO,S I THINK SHE RUNS FUNCTIONS THERE FOR THEM I SUGGEST YOU WRITE OR TELEPHONE TO AND ASKED FOR A MR OR MRS LEN JACOBS, WHO ARE THE PRESIDIENTS , OR ASKED FOR MR SAMMY COHEN , WHOM HIS THE SECRETARY THERE SAM HIS A NICE CHAP GETTING ON ABIT BUT A VERY NICE GUY , AND HIS WIFE HIS TOO , AND IAM PRETTY SURE HE WILL HELP YOU , I DO KNOW THERE HIS A FAMILY OF GOLBY,S WHOM ATTEND, OR USED TO ATTEND GOOD LUCK , AND BEST WISHES [ SALAMIE] WICH MEANS IN JEWISH TERMS WELCOME .

thank you for your reply and information.

The Golby family I am researching have mostly died, there are a few about who are children from the main names listed and I have contact with them.

your thoughtfulness in posting this information is appreciated and who knows it may be of help to me further along the track :)

Back