• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GOING TO THE CIRCUS

Radiorails

master brummie
The word CIRCUS crops up many times in BHF threads often with different meanings.
There are quite a few roadways named ' something' circus.
However, references to a circus with animals - as well as fleas - together with performing artists are scattered in threads such as Bingley Hall, Big Top, old street photos and places as well as surname enquiries. Others mentioned are within this Fun Fair thread - which seemed to be the only place I could make this post.
This fragmentation is probably due to their being no specific circus thread.

In 1768, it appears Philip Astley formed the first show, which came to be known as a circus in London. A Blue Plaque can be seen at the location. But Chipperfield (according to wiki) claims a longer period of 300 years in the business. Modern viewpoints have resulted in far less animals being involved today but it is still a great time for youngsters to witness the acts put on for their enjoyment.
http://www.circopedia.org/SHORT_HISTORY_OF_THE_CIRCUS

There was a time when a televised circus seemed to be broadcast every bank holiday.

I recall a circus at Bingley Hall where someone poured water into a desk drawer which later proved to be empty. My memory of a proper circus was Chipperfields performing at Hay Mills in the recreation ground. They had a big gun mounted on a lorry.

My Nana lived in a small town in Cumberland and I remember at least two times being there and seeing the circus coming from miles away, the countryside there being very flat. It was small compared to Chipperfields and for me the star act was a pony that could count with his hoof.

We could buy our own Corgi Circus but it never appealed to me.

Torbay, being a busy place and holiday resort, has an annual three or four day visit of a circus during the high summer. Well attended it seems, but very zealous poster promotion lets people know, far and wide, with some advertisers getting concessionary tickets.

Torbay, being a busy place and holiday resort, has an annual three or four day visit of a circus during the high summer. Well attended it seems, but very zealous poster promotion lets people know, far and wide, with some advertisers getting concessionary tickets.
its the same here.alan the shops that put the advert in the window, get free admin....

There was a circus building (long time ago, possibly late 1700/early 1800s) but can’t find the details. Anyone recall it being mentioned on BHF ? The building - not the circus - intrigued me. Think it was somewhere around the Bull Ring area. Viv.

1778 seems to be a map that shows the market area and former Shambles area became known as the Bull Ring. It took another two hundred years to alter the name it seems. To avoid unpleasant facts I will not elaborate on the area at the time.
Postie Vivienne mentioned the 1700/early 1800's. The Big Top was later - courtesy of the Luftwaffe. :)

After much searching this is the circus I was thinking of in my earlier post. It seems to have been a permanent amphitheatre which later became a church. Info from Showells Dictionary. Viv.
C4142068-B0B3-42E6-B4F7-A3C13EB6538C.jpeg

ok folks we have now had a tidy up of this thread and deleted off topic posts...we have also altered the title of thread so that members can recall their visits to the circus and where they were so if members could keep posts on topic please...i myself cant ever remember going to one but somewhere in the back of my mind i am sure mom and dad took me to stand on lichfield road aston to watch the elephants go by...where they were going or coming from i have no idea but maybe some members would know..this would probably be in the late 50s early 60s...thread is now open again

lyn

ok folks we have now had a tidy up of this thread and deleted off topic posts...we have also altered the title of thread so that members can recall their visits to the circus and where they were so if members could keep posts on topic please...i myself cant ever remember going to one but somewhere in the back of my mind i am sure mom and dad took me to stand on lichfield road aston to watch the elephants go by...where they were going or coming from i have no idea but maybe some members would know..this would probably be in the late 50s early 60s...thread is now open again

lyn
yer you have got my little grey cells working.i think you are right.i vaguely remember that.lyn

1580212633106.png.I never new there was a zippo circus.....................2019 swanshurst park

Last edited:
There is one thread already devoted to the circus at Sparkbrook

one of the things I loved when we went to a circus was the huge machines, the Foden trucks. the generators,etc,what mechanics. and sparkies there were.

After much searching this is the circus I was thinking of in my earlier post. It seems to have been a permanent amphitheatre which later became a church. Info from Showells Dictionary. Viv.
View attachment 141049
Astley, mentioned in the link of one my earlier posts was probably one of a few, if the only one maybe, in the circus business.

A question for those who were young in the 1960's.
What was the name of this tv cartoon and that of the circus owner that featured as the bad guy in it? ;)
1580215414040.png

Billy Smarts Circus used to come to the car park of Perry Barr dog track (which was where One Stop is now) every year.
If you were walking past you often saw Billy Smart himself around by the caravans, he was a large man who used to wear a big cowboy type hat!

Some of the children of the circus performers used to attend Birchfield Road Juniors with us while the circus was on site.

Back