• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Goddards (Toy?) Store Coventry 1950s

OurKidsKid

Brummie babby
Hello,

I'm from Australia so please excuse my ignorance in relation to Birmingham/Coventry. My mother was born in Birmingham and then in 1948, her family moved to Coventry when my grandfather got a job at the Danish Bacon Company. It's the reason I associate both places together ... so if this isn't the forum for asking a question about Coventry, please let me know.

My grandparents migrated to Australia in 1955 and in my grandmother's diary (which I've just received) she wrote that she "finished work at Goddards" a few weeks before they were to leave (in early March '55). My mother has just told me that she (my mum) also worked in the office there (as a 15 year old) until they came to Australia.

When I asked Mum about Goddards she said that it was a toy shop. I guess she'd know, given she worked there, but I can't find any information about it doing a Google search.

Does anyone know anything about Goddards in Coventry in the 1950s? Any information is most appreciated ... and again, if there is a more appropriate place to ask this question, please let me know.

Regards,
Sharon

hi sharon although this forum is about the history of birmingham given your family connection with birmingham hopefully one or two of of members maybe able to help you with some info on goddards shop...fingers crossed

lyn

Back