• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GOB STOPPERS

wallyb71

master brummie
Does anyone remember Gob Stoppers ?? It was a hard candy ball about half the size of a golf ball. Anyway when I was about 5 years old we lived in Erdington up this yard and it so happened one day I was sucking on a Gob Stopper and it slipped down my throat and got stuck and I couldn't breath. Me Mom grabbed me under her arm and went running down the yard to the neighbors shouting, "Me babies choking, me babies choking". Well all that shaking up when she was running made the Gob Stopper pop out and when we got to the neighbors I was o.k. and I went on living and now I'm 76.

Oh!! Happy Memories of days of yor.

Yes I remember them well. Thats probably where I got my big mouth from. Apart from the sugar they kept your interest as they had different coloured concentric layers

I used to love em , but occasionally one would get swallowed a bit too soon .

:D Sheila, Actually kids can still buy Gobstoppers here really big ones 8) - One of my grandsons always has one - it is put in a cup in the fridge over night - not left laying around his bedroom somewhere like mine used to be :roll: - I'm sure the dust added to the flavour though :lol: :lol:

Back