• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glovers Road shops

Ivy butler

Anyone remember the grocers on the corner of Glovers Road, there was a butchers on the other corner. I’m creating a recipe book in memory of my Nan who lived at 347 Cooksey Road. I went to Jenkins St school in the 50s and my brother went to Oakley Road. Such happy days

Anyone remember the grocers on the corner of Glovers Road, there was a butchers on the other corner. I’m creating a recipe book in memory of my Nan who lived at 347 Cooksey Road. I went to Jenkins St school in the 50s and my brother went to Oakley Road. Such happy days
Ivy,
Yes, the grocers shop on the corner of Glovers Road was Belchers and the butchers shop was Harold Corbetts shop.
I lived at 356 Cooksey Road, so your Nan must have lived next door to Tommy Tyers greengrocers and one of your relatives drove a mobile workshop for Maturi's who went out sharpening cutlery for hotels, shops, etc.
Boomy

Ivy,
Yes, the grocers shop on the corner of Glovers Road was Belchers and the butchers shop was Harold Corbetts shop.
I lived at 356 Cooksey Road, so your Nan must have lived next door to Tommy Tyers greengrocers and one of your relatives drove a mobile workshop for Maturi's who went out sharpening cutlery for hotels, shops, etc.
Boomy
Hi Boomy Belchers, that’s it!!!!! I used to run round there for Nan to get butter wrapped in blue paper. My Nan and Grandad actually owned the shop that Tommy Tyers rented. My uncle Cyril Butler was the one who worked for Maturi’s in the van. There was also a little bakers nearby wasn’t there.

Thank you!

Hi Boomy Belchers, that’s it!!!!! I used to run round there for Nan to get butter wrapped in blue paper. My Nan and Grandad actually owned the shop that Tommy Tyers rented. My uncle Cyril Butler was the one who worked for Maturi’s in the van. There was also a little bakers nearby wasn’t there.

Thank you!
Ivy,
Mrs Holden's shop sold bread and milk (but not much else!), but perhaps you are thinking of Mrs Jones' shop at the corner of Cooksey Road and Oakley Road, opposite the school. She used to bake rock cakes and jam tarts, etc. Graham Edmunds took over this shop years later for motorbike repairs.
I have written and published seven books myself, including the one illustrated here which may be of interest to you. Its only sold through the Symphony Hall Gift Shop, Broad Street, but if you would like a complimentary copy perhaps the Moderator can put us in touch via email?
Boomy (Norman)

Attachments

• bc 6.jpg
    bc 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Ivy,
Mrs Holden's shop sold bread and milk (but not much else!), but perhaps you are thinking of Mrs Jones' shop at the corner of Cooksey Road and Oakley Road, opposite the school. She used to bake rock cakes and jam tarts, etc. Graham Edmunds took over this shop years later for motorbike repairs.
I have written and published seven books myself, including the one illustrated here which may be of interest to you. Its only sold through the Symphony Hall Gift Shop, Broad Street, but if you would like a complimentary copy perhaps the Moderator can put us in touch via email?
Boomy (Norman)
Hi Norman

My uncle by marriage, Jack Hone (Married to Evelyn Butler) worked at a butchers called Corbett in I think Yardley. I would love a copy of your book and will reciprocate when I’ve finished my Nanny B recipe book. I’m new to this forum so could you kindly arrange please. Thank you so much

Hi Norman

My uncle by marriage, Jack Hone (Married to Evelyn Butler) worked at a butchers called Corbett in I think Yardley. I would love a copy of your book and will reciprocate when I’ve finished my Nanny B recipe book. I’m new to this forum so could you kindly arrange please. Thank you so much
Ivy,
Harold Corbett left Small Heath and opened a butchers shop on the corner of Steyning Road and Coventry Road, Yardley, so that is where your uncle worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Norman I also went to Oakley Road school and at the same time as yourself I believe I was in killer Evans class until 1954 and I am still in touch with some of our old pupils. I have an photo of VE day which you may even be on. regards Barrynewdan2 001.jpg

Hi Norman I also went to Oakley Road school and at the same time as yourself I believe I was in killer Evans class until 1954 and I am still in touch with some of our old pupils. I have an photo of VE day which you may even be on. regards BarryView attachment 143531
Barry,
Yes, I have this picture in my little book, and my brother Barrie is first kid from left, cousin Gill next, and me peering over the head of girl sitting at the head of the table. Mom is third from right beside Mrs Delaney.
I went to Oakley Road School, but only till 1953 and then went to Bordesley Green Tech.
I think our form mistress was Miss Hughes who emigrated to Lebanon if I remember correctly.
Saw a lad called John Talbot a few times after leaving Oakley Road, but nobody else.
Best wishes,
Norman (Boomy)

Hi Norman I was glad to see you were on the photo I was given it by my lifelong friend Alan Danter he is third from the right with older brother John behind him their mother Floss is standing half way on the left with the glass`s and bow in her hair, Tom Tyers was their uncle so I knew him also. So you were in Miss Hughs class WOW how we must envied you she was a stunner for us 15 year old especially when Badmington was on in the school hall with Mr Williams at the other end.
Regards Barry.

HI Robt thanks for that now I can see them in all what I would think is their best clothes for such a great occasion .
Regards barry

Back