• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gloucester Docks 1995

Wow, Eric. They're great. Love the way you capture reflections. Thanks for re-posting. Viv.

yet again wonderful paintings eric...ive been to gloucester docks a couple of times..well worth a visit

lyn

Excellent paintings Eric, and of course Gloucester docks is one of my favourite places

Im with you viv ,wow, wonderful paintings eric. Lyn ,we visited the docks allmost 30 years ago my 3 daughters were all young still at school we had a boat trip along the river and all in all had a lovely day. Then a couple years ago on our way home from Devon we took a detour and visited the docks again. we were handed a flyer advertising the various boat trips and on the front was a picture of a happy family enjoying a trip aboard one of the boats. Guess who the happy family was yes it was us all those years previous

For anyone who intends to go to the docks watch out for the trap the council set for drivers, there's a bridge across the canal which they've made into a buses only lane, the warnings for it are lost in a forest of signage and easy to miss.
If you do miss them and cross the bridge in your car a £60 fine will arrive in the post together with photos of your error.
The council took over £300,000 in under six months with this devious plot.

I believe the black boat (which was a training ship and as sailed round the world) was turned into a floating restaurant, it is about 30 years since I visited with my wife, there was a museum there with tins, packaging with old labels, forget the name of it. I was commissioned by a Gloucester gallery to do a series of 4 paintings of the docks, I'm, afraid I have no visual record of the other 2 but they were similar in content, the gallery said they were all bought by one person, an American tourist. Eric

2 more paintings I am replacing which were 'hacked'View attachment 117973 View attachment 117974
Love these paintings, my daughter now lives in a new build apartment block just up from this view, beyond the barge arm and next to the inlet with the small swing bridge that goes to the inner marina. The Opies collection of labels has moved from here as has the old antique centre. The reason for this post Eric is have you any objection, providing I can do it, to me copying them on to photographic paper and framing them for my daughter and her husband? That is unless you have done your own copies in which case, yes I will buy one. Anyone coming to Gloucester on a Sunday, if you cannot park on the on street metered pay parking with the GO motif which are free on Sunday, if you can get in, use the Council offices carpark at the bottom of Southgate Street which cost £2 all day on a Sunday.
Bob D.

Eric, I am worse than useless with your type of art but of course that does not prevent me from admiring your wonderful pictures. I have tried painting with numbers but I was rubbish at that as well.

Bob Davis, I have said before, although most of them were sold years ago the copyright remains with me and I don't care who downloads them and what they do with them. There was a print run on the 1st one, but that was many years ago and the few copies the gallery sent me were given to relatives so go ahead download copies. Bob, did you know that most Art shops sell Bockingford water colour paper specifically for printers which gives a realistic result. Its called Bockingford INKJET double sided A4 water colour paper in packs of 20 sheets. Eric

Bob Davis, I have said before, although most of them were sold years ago the copyright remains with me and I don't care who downloads them and what they do with them. There was a print run on the 1st one, but that was many years ago and the few copies the gallery sent me were given to relatives so go ahead download copies. Bob, did you know that most Art shops sell Bockingford water colour paper specifically for printers which gives a realistic result. Its called Bockingford INKJET double sided A4 water colour paper in packs of 20 sheets. Eric
Eric
Many thanks, I did not know about the special paper, I will find some tomorrow. As a postcard collector who has had a book published, I found out all about copyright and am now very careful about what I download and have published. I will let you know if the copying is successful.
Many thanks
Bob D

Bob, I have a pack with 11 sheets in which I have no use for. IM me your address and I will post them to you. They seem to work on some printers better than others. Copyright doesn't bother me, I have seen obvious copies of my paintings in exhibitions, I take it as a compliment. Eric

Back