• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Glassworks in Hockley?

mossg

master brummie
Hello All,

My G.Grandfather lived in Hospital St,Hockley & at the time of the 1881 census his occupation was a Glass cutter.
I saw quite recently that there was a public house in Hospital St called the Glasscutters Arms.

Does anyone know if there was a glassworks in the area?

Maurice.

Moss sorry i couldn't help more but i am sure someone will be able to on the forum good luck:):)

Maurice
there are no glassworks listed in the 1880 or 1883 kellys for the immediate area of Hospital st. There are , however a number of glasscutters, who seem to be sepparate, listed in the jewellery quarter and two, thomas Danks and thomas rowley, both listed at 22 Frankfort St. i can't seem to find the glasscutters Arms in the directories (havrn't looked at every one) , so not sure if it is close to Frankfort St.
Mike

Mike,
I read in Pauline Mannions book,"Pubs in Summer Lane&Hockley between the wars"that the pub was on the east side of Hospital St, between Tower St&Brearley St.

Moss.

would anyone know of a place that made triple x glass in brum,

Thanks for your replies.The reason i first posted this question was that between the wars, there was a pub called "The Glasscutters" in Hospital Street,my family had glasscutters in their household on each census from 1861 to 1901 and they lived in Upper Hospital Street during this period.
Maybe the pub name was just coincidence.
Moss.

Do you mean a 'pub' or a glass works. There was Pearce and Cutler glassworks on the corner of Moreton St and Pope St.

Back