• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glass eyes. Asort of remedy.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Found these in an old book of mine. Herbert and Anne Oldfield moved from 71 Hurst Sstreet into one of the back to back houses of Court 15 in th 1860's. Anne had Herbert had ten children. Tight squeeze I think. Lovely family photo. He not only made glass eyes but was a bead and glass toymaker along with his son. He also made glass eyes for stuffed animals and toys. Jean.

What a great photo Jean. Makes you wonder how all the larger families fitted into the small homes. There weren't bunk beds in those days. My Father's family was nine altogether. I think it was boys in one bedroom and girls in another. Top to toe in double beds sometimes. Thanks for posting the photo.
The backdrop looks to me like Purcell and Betts photo studio in Witton from other photos I have.

Wonderful photo Jean ,, how nice to have such great Family heirlooms,,
Yes,, thats what they are,,Priceless & irreplacable,, Lovely,,,
Yo Jennyann, in the 3 tier back to backs,, the Parents had 1st floor bedroom
& the Brothers/Sisters shared the 2nd floor bedroom,,usually with a curtain down the centre,
Quite cosy !!! considering the rooms measured 11 foot square,,

ps One of the Bk/Bk houses on the Hurst Street Historical Site contains a "Glass eye" workshop with samples "to view",,oops

ps2, My Dad had a glass eye,, he used to leave it by his pint in the pub to keep guard over his pint
so nobody nicked his beer, he also used to give it to me to polish it for him,
Aaah just reminiscing,, & keeping my eye on your lovely posts,, Cheers JohnY

You may be right Jennyanne about the studio. I lived by Witton and I'm sure thats where we had a lot of our twins photo's done. Going to sort some out and have a look at the background. Jean.

John. Love that one about your dads beer. Pete remembers someone from years ago who used to wash his glass eye in his beer. Yuk. We went to a show where Freddy Fingers Lee was performing. His trick was to stand on his head and play the piano. The next thing he would remove his glass eye swill it round his glass put it back in and then drink his beer. Have you looked at the photo in where is it?. TTFN. Jean.

Jean i worked at Metro-Cammell with a Bert Oldfield and the people in the photo were his great grand parents,Bert and his brother had an invitation to the house,when it was all finished,sadly Bert passed away recently he was 61 R I P

Jean i worked at Metro-Cammell with a Bert Oldfield and the people in the photo were his great grand parents,Bert and his brother had an invitation to the house,when it was all finished,sadly Bert passed away recently he was 61 R I P
hi ya mossy,
my dad and my uncle both worked at the met,
horace and dougy greaves, both drove overhead cranes,
did you know them?
regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
Found these in an old book of mine. Herbert and Anne Oldfield moved from 71 Hurst Sstreet into one of the back to back houses of Court 15 in th 1860's. Anne had Herbert had ten children. Tight squeeze I think. Lovely family photo. He not only made glass eyes but was a bead and glass toymaker along with his son. He also made glass eyes for stuffed animals and toys. Jean.

Hi Jean,

I am unable to see this photo and would love to use it for my research project for the National Trust! Would you be able to post it again or send it to me?

Thanks.

Wonderful photo Jean ,, how nice to have such great Family heirlooms,,
Yes,, thats what they are,,Priceless & irreplacable,, Lovely,,,
Yo Jennyann, in the 3 tier back to backs,, the Parents had 1st floor bedroom
& the Brothers/Sisters shared the 2nd floor bedroom,,usually with a curtain down the centre,
Quite cosy !!! considering the rooms measured 11 foot square,,

ps One of the Bk/Bk houses on the Hurst Street Historical Site contains a "Glass eye" workshop with samples "to view",,oops

ps2, My Dad had a glass eye,, he used to leave it by his pint in the pub to keep guard over his pint
so nobody nicked his beer, he also used to give it to me to polish it for him,
Aaah just reminiscing,, & keeping my eye on your lovely posts,, Cheers JohnY
that reminded me of the sons of katy elder with the glass eye

Back