• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Glass Blowers/Glass Makers

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello There, not really sure if you can help me with this query..but here goes...

GLASS MAKERS. I have a family called KEIGHTLEY/KITELEY who from the 1850's
are all down as GLASS MAKERS. They lived in the ASTON area. Their names and
birhdates are as follows.
EDWARD KEIGHTLEY1793
JOHN KEIGHTLEY 1817
WILLIAM KEIGHTLEY 1820
SAMUEL KEIGHTLEY 1826 [ according to the 1861 census SAMUEL employed 3 men]
WILLIAM KEIGHTLEY 1852.

Many thanks Margaret :)

my 2x & 3x Gt Grandfathers were both Glassblowers in the B. Ham area, they were Samuel & John Sanders, on 1851 census Samuel was 15 & john was 58

my grandad was a glass blower in Aston his name was Arthur E Herrick and his son |(my uncle was also one ) called Ronald Herrick
I have been told with pride by my dad, that granddad blew for the King. I don't know if the king was visiting Birmingham or whether he visited the King !!?
Julie Herrick

Glass Makers

Am looking for infomation on Glass Makers in Charlotte Street/George Street called BEDFORD. Isaac Hawker BEDFORD`S mother, Sarah, was from the HAWKER family who started up glass making in the mid- 18th century. Please contact if you have any HAWKERS or BEDFORDS in Birmingham particularly early to mid 19th century. Also interested in BROUGHTON family tree members

Broughton family

Hi thought I would reply as my mom was a Broughton and I am tracing this family at moment too. I notice you are looking for James the author. I only have a James on one of my many pieces info.
1925 Moseley & Kings Heath Surname Russell First name: James Broughton House No. Allotments Street Vicarage Rd.... maybe a start....

Back