• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gladys (Sally) Lunn

Claribel

master brummie
When I was a youngster my mother told me that she had a famous cousin named Sally Lunn and that she was an athlete. I Googled Sally Lunn and all that I got was a famous tea shop in York. Well I have since found out that her real name was Gladys Lunn and she was famous but nobody remembers her. This is what I have found out. She was born 1st June1908 and died in 1988. She was a member of Birchfield Harriers, and in 1931, 16th May she held the womens world record for 1,000 metres in 3 minutes 4.2 seconds. At the British Empire Games in 1934 in London she won a Gold Medal for 880yds and a Gold for the Javelin. Then in the British Empire Games in Sydney Australia she won Bronze for the Javelin. I think she must have done a lot more. I'm just sorry that I didnt know more about her while she was alive. Does any other forum member know anything else?

hi claribel
which branch of the birchfield harriers club did she run for birmingham or else here
if you contact the athletic board or make contact at the birmingham alexander athletic association at perry barr birmngham
and the general secretary may be help you out there and tell you what else she acheived on track as they keep all the history of all the club
as all others do of past and present dy athletes they keep there rcords on records that i do know in those days birchfield harriers across the country was in those days the top club to run for but sadly in later years they slowly got left behind during the sixtys astonian

the website is birchfieldharriers.net, there is a contact address and phone no, or e-mail contacts at the bottom of the page.
They were really helpful when my daughter needed info about sports in the early 1900s.
Sue

claribel - what an interesting person to have in your family tree. That is a great photo that ladylinda has found - was Gladys born in Birmingham?

Pollypops. My mother told me about her but I never met her, its a good chance that we are related but I dont really know. My mother was Harriet Ellen Lunn, and she was born in Winson Green 4th March 1908.
claribel - what an interesting person to have in your family tree. That is a great photo that ladylinda has found - was Gladys born in Birmingham?

I do hope that you can find some more information out about her - it would be great if she was a Brummie.

I do hope that you can find some more information out about her - it would be great if she was a Brummie.
Hi Pollypops, I have traced her to be have lived in Peel Street Winson Green and yes she was born in Birmingham in 1908, could someone please have a look for me please I'm not very good at finding results, Thanks

1911 census lists the Lunn family at 160 Winson Street.

LUNN, JosiahHeadM391872LabourerWorkinton Cumbe Rland
LUNN, FannyWifeF391872Smethwick Staff
LUNN, WilliamSonM191892Carr Maker AssistantSmethwick Staff
LUNN, JosiahSonM171894LabourerSmethwick Staff
LUNN, JessieDaughterF151896Capstan HandSmethwick Staff
LUNN, FrankSonM121899SchoolSmethwick Staff
LUNN, AlfredSonM101901SchoolSmethwick Staff
LUNN, ArthurSonM81903SchoolSmethwick Staff
LUNN, EarnestSonM51906SchoolSmethwick Staff
LUNN, HarrietDaughterF31908SchoolBirmingham
LUNN, KathleenDaughterF11910Smethwick Staffs
LUNN, JamesSonM0 (2 MONTHS)1911Birmingham

NameRelationCondition /
Yrs marriedSexAgeBirth YearOccupation Where born
Married
Married21 years
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single
Single

Hope this is of use.

Janice

Thanks Janice, Harriet was my mother and Gladys was her cousin as she was the daughter of the brother of Josiah Snr.
1911 census lists the Lunn family at 160 Winson Street.

LUNN, Josiah
Head
M
Labourer
Workinton Cumbe Rland
LUNN, Fanny
Wife
F
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, William
Son
M
Carr Maker Assistant
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Josiah
Son
M
Labourer
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Jessie
Daughter
F
Capstan Hand
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Frank
Son
M
School
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Alfred
Son
M
School
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Arthur
Son
M
School
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Earnest
Son
M
School
Smethwick Staff
LUNN, Harriet
Daughter
F
School
Birmingham
LUNN, Kathleen
Daughter
F
Smethwick Staffs
LUNN, James
Son
M
0 (2 MONTHS)
Birmingham

Hope this is of use.

Janice

just found this thread. I work with the archives at Birchfield Harriers and we have many pictures of Gladys (Sally) Lunn as well as one of her old javelins! She was an inspirational figure in the Ladies' section in the 1920's and 1930's.
She features in the exhibition of famous Birchfield athletes which you can view on the first floor of the Alexander Stadium. There is no charge for viewing this exhibition.

Hi, just thought I would share this in case you ever read this link for any updates.
I knew gladys lunn, she lived above my gran when I was a teenager and she was the loveliest woman. I was a swimmer and she was very much into her golf by this time, because we both liked sports, she showed me her medals and sports programmes. Gladys always looked out for my gran she was a very special lady who loved to do her garden

Hi. I'm a scriptwriter from the Czech Republic. I'm working on a documentary about women in sports in times of 1930-1934. Gladys Lunn was an athlete and she ran the 800 m race at Women World Games in London in 1934. There is a possible connection between her and the Czech athlete I'm writing about. Therefore, I have some (maybe) surprising information for you, @Claribel. And also, I would really appreciate if I could get any more info about her life, @Kerry69. All we have is her records and results from the races. We would appreciate to have more.

Hi, just thought I would share this in case you ever read this link for any updates.
I knew gladys lunn, she lived above my gran when I was a teenager and she was the loveliest woman. I was a swimmer and she was very much into her golf by this time, because we both liked sports, she showed me her medals and sports programmes. Gladys always looked out for my gran she was a very special lady who loved to do her garden
Hi. I'm a scriptwriter from the Czech Republic. I'm working on a documentary about women in sports in times of 1930-1934. Gladys Lunn was an athlete and she ran the 800 m race at Women World Games in London in 1934. There is a possible connection between her and the Czech athlete I'm writing about. I would really appreciate if I could get any more info about her life, @Kerry69. All we have is her records and results from the races. We would appreciate to have more.

just found this thread. I work with the archives at Birchfield Harriers and we have many pictures of Gladys (Sally) Lunn as well as one of her old javelins! She was an inspirational figure in the Ladies' section in the 1920's and 1930's.
She features in the exhibition of famous Birchfield athletes which you can view on the first floor of the Alexander Stadium. There is no charge for viewing this exhibition.
Hi. I'm a scriptwriter from the Czech Republic. I'm working on a documentary about women in sports in times of 1930-1934. Gladys Lunn was an athlete and she ran the 800 m race at Women World Games in London in 1934. Is there any chance I could see any of those photos online? Google is not helping much. Are there any sources about her life? Not only sport career? Thank you.

When I was a youngster my mother told me that she had a famous cousin named Sally Lunn and that she was an athlete. I Googled Sally Lunn and all that I got was a famous tea shop in York. Well I have since found out that her real name was Gladys Lunn and she was famous but nobody remembers her. This is what I have found out. She was born 1st June1908 and died in 1988. She was a member of Birchfield Harriers, and in 1931, 16th May she held the womens world record for 1,000 metres in 3 minutes 4.2 seconds. At the British Empire Games in 1934 in London she won a Gold Medal for 880yds and a Gold for the Javelin. Then in the British Empire Games in Sydney Australia she won Bronze for the Javelin. I think she must have done a lot more. I'm just sorry that I didnt know more about her while she was alive. Does any other forum member know anything else?
Hi Calabriel. I'm a scriptwriter from the Czech Republic. I'm working on a documentary about women in sports in 1930-1934. Gladys "Sally" Lunn was an athlete and she ran the 800 m race at Women World Games in London in 1934. There is a possible connection between her and the Czech athlete I'm writing about. Therefore, I have some (maybe) surprising information for you, @Claribel. If interested, please get in touch.

Back