• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gladys Maud Downing

nimrod1947

master brummie
Hi,
Found the name of this person on a census form with James Downing head of the family and Gladys labelled grand daughter. She is obviously grand daughter of James but cannot find out who she is the daughter of. No trace in other census forms or electoral registers, almost like she disappeared. Would be eternally grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Have you tried birth or baptisms records? Assume James had sons - hence why she is downing or is she illegitimate daughter of daughter? Hope that makes sense.

Have you tried birth or baptisms records? Assume James had sons - hence why she is downing or is she illegitimate daughter of daughter? Hope that makes sense.
Tried all those because of the date of birth around 1908 no mothers maiden name on births that are close and no baptism records coming up that are near

i cant find her on the 1911...what is james wife name and what address do you have please..i take it she is in birmingham

lyn

i cant find her on the 1911...what is james wife name and what address do you have please..i take it she is in birmingham

lyn
James Downings wife is Phoebe Hannah Downing nee Bellingham and no address on census form but James is a Boatman, Gladys Maud Hilda Downing to give her a full name is aged 3 years.

thanks jan no wonder i could not find them in birmingham :D

hi nimrod just picking up on what you said about not finding a close match for mothers maiden name on the birth records...you wont find one as the mothers maiden names for the online birth records started in 1911 so 3 years after gladys was born...

lyn

I think she is Gladys Maud Hilda Smith the daughter of Sydney Smith and Ellen Downing (James' eldest daughter).

Laziness or confusion when filling in the census.

James Downings wife is Phoebe Hannah Downing nee Bellingham and no address on census form but James is a Boatman, Gladys Maud Hilda Downing to give her a full name is aged 3 years.

hi nimrod there is an address on the census of 74 furnace parade..tipton

thanks jan no wonder i could not find them in birmingham :D

hi nimrod just picking up on what you said about not finding a close match for mothers maiden name on the birth records...you wont find one as the mothers maiden names for the online birth records started in 1911 so 3 years after gladys was born...

lyn
Lyn - they do show up on GRO well before 1911 - not sure why.

I think she is Gladys Maud Hilda Smith the daughter of Sydney Smith and Ellen Downing (James' eldest daughter).

Laziness or confusion when filling in the census.

thats strange as on the 1911 it says 14 children born only 7 living there are 7 children listed for james on the census but none of them are named ellen...unless i have missed something

Born 12 Nov 1885, baptised Tipton 6 Dec 1885 daughter of James and Phoebe.

She might have died between marrying and 1911.

So did I and also Sydney Smith to a Downing. Drew a blank. Perhaps they did not actually marry?

Back