• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gladstone Terrace Handsworth

lowe1965

proper brummie kid
Can anyone tell me how to find 7 Gladstone Terrace Handsworth listed on a birth cert of 1897 its not listed in any of today maps or A to Z
or could it of been a row of houses set back from the road.

Thanks Lowie

i think its louise road as on the electoral rolls of 1912 there are people listed for gladstone terrace, louise road, soho ward

In the 1897 kellys list of streets at the beginning, it lists a “gladstone terrace , Handsworth, barrel Lane”. However examination of later kellys shows that between 1897 and 1899 Barrell Lane changed its name to Louise Road. This road has since been cut off from soho Rd and an extra bent bit added. Attached is a 1913 map with the terrace I think is Gladstone (from the number of houses in it) in red. The added bent bit I refer to looks as if it runs approximately where Gladstone terrace was.
Mike

gladstone_terrace__louise_rd_c_1913_1913.jpg

Thank you very much for that I'm goning to have a drive over today to have look around.

Thanks Again Lowie

Mike,
i have just looked at the map you posted with referance to gladstone terrace,barrel lane handsworth.
Opposite barrel lane across handsworth main road is baker street,in baker street a building is marked "cinema" this is the first referance i have seen naming that building as a cinema, i was told many years ago that that was what it was,even told it was the first cinema in birmingham.
Could you do me a big favour please and show me more of baker street also where baker street joins dawson road,i lived just around the corner in dawson road.
Alan (help the aged)

This must be the building that years ago ie in the 30's was a dance hall my mom's friend used to frequent this and had wonderful memories. Kind regards.

alan
Here is the map for Dawson road, plus kellys for thw same (about) year
mike

map_c_1904_Dawson_road.jpg

Thanks to all for the info, drove over this afternoon on the way to my moms and theres about 6 houses left in the first part of Louise road the lefthand bend that we assume was Gladstone Terrace has gone unfortunatly and not that long ago as theres a new biulding underway in that spot. If only I'd started this tree 12 months ago.

Thanks Lowie

Lowie
Don't be too downheearted. they might be building a new building, b ut the old gladstone terrace wasn't knocked down last year. If you download google earth (not google maps) you can go back to the image of a few years ago. below is the one for 1999. No gladstone terrace
Mike

Mikejee

Thanks for that, I suppose your used to the let downs by now but I have to be honest to date the history after facts I thought I had seems to be falling apart around me and even today after a visit to the reg office it got even more confusing for me.
anyway off to the central Lib in the morning to check some dates my Grandad gave me about his time in the Cottage Homes Marston Green.

Thanks again for all the help Lowie

I have just seen this thread re Gladstone Terrace.
My friends used to live there in the early 1960's Gladstone terrace was the top terrace on the left when going up louis Road from Victoria Road.

The terrace opposite was Bright Terrace. There was a gap from the top of Louise road, leading to Soho Road. There was a pub on the right of this gap, on Soho Road called The Barrell.

The terraces were knocked down (part of slum clearence) in the late 1960's I can't remember the exact year.

They were little two up, two down houses, with a shared toilet in the yard. But I have many happy memories of seeing my friends there in the early 60's.

If my memory serves me right,a lad I was in the Scouts with lived in one of those terrace's (Harry Segar) married a girl from there too

Think that I remember a young lad called Brian Segar. He lived at one of the highernumbers in Gladstone Terrace, I can't remember if he had any siblings.

I can confirm Harry Seager lived in Gladstone Terrace and there were four other brothers. Bob, John, Derek & Brian. (They are all alive and well.)
I lived next door in number 14, the last house in the terrace.
They are all my cousins, as our Mother's were Sisters.
I left Handsworth in 1962 and believe the terraces didn't come down until around five years later. Wonderful memories of a lovely childhood.

I am currently sat in Doncaster with my Grandmother, Joyce SADLER (now SMITH) who is now 93 years old and fully corpus mantas so she tells me. My older sister sent me this link as she knew that granny had lived on Gladstone Terrace way back in the 1920's right through to 1939 when she joined the forces. However her parents remained in there home at no 9 Gladstone Terrace for the rest of there lives. Granny's father was called Henry James SADLER and mother Lucy SADLER and I am told Henry was a permanent fixture at the bar of the Barrel Public House, always sat in the same spot. There were three rows of terraced houses at that location with two TERRACE names GLADSTONE Terrace and BIGHT Terrace they had toilets at the ends of the street and wash houses half way up between no's 5 and 7. Granny remembers the SEAGAR's and funny enough our surname is SAGAR but no connection. She says Mrs GLAVES lived at no 7 next door to her and another resident was Eileen BENTLEY and her sister PAT SADLER lived at no 3 or 5 BRIGHT Terrace with her Grandmother Helen WOODWARD.

Back