• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gladstone Street Aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mike could i have a map please showing no 1 gladstone st in brackets on the census it says (ely place)

also any photos of this street would be appreciated as i dont have any...just found another rellie living here in 1881

many thanks

hi lynn
Yes i recall glastone street Aston when as a kid i used to knock about down there and on church lane with all the lads
and we used to wait for the villa fans or the away teams and when they parked there cars up we used to try and out do each other
to asked the car divers we will look after your car mate it was for money for a tanner or half a crown as time and the monutary dcimalisation
but i may add that on here way back ten year or just short of that period this forum done gladstone street
and we had a map and a picture of that street with the shop in it and a couple of terraces and a batch of the old houses
and of the old lady whom used to make the toffee apples and put them in here front window of her house selling them for a 1 penny
all us kids used to knock her door and get one and she soon sold out but always had them when she made mor
and yes i knew lots of kids down and around there all from upper thomas street school and i used to court a girl named susan down in gladstone street
then one day she died whilst young but unfortunately some one hi jacked the site and every think was taken and lost
still i think our good old mike may be able to pull out a rabbit or two best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan;;;;

Lyn
Cannot find a reference to Ely Place. Am having some difficulty in determining no 1 as I feel that there has been some renumbering and rebuilding. I will need to get down to it properly when I get home next week. You can see what I mean about numbering from the c1951 map below. I can't seem to correlate that with the c1889 map, but, as I say , will do next week.
the only photo (sort of) is one of mine from the 69-73 thread, where the cafe is on the corner with church lane, and Gladstone St runs behind it

map_c_1951_west_end_gladstone_St.jpg

4B__jnction_Gladstone_st_church_lane.jpg

ok mike thanks for that...there is no rush...it could be that ely place is just one of those name plaques you see on the front of houses in which case you most likey wont be able to find it

thanks also aston lad i will try and find the youtube film...

lyn

Last edited:
cant seem to locate the youtube clip of gladstone st...will have another go when ive got more time later on

cheers

lyn

Lyn

All I have is these three really bad photos of Gladstone Street, that look as if they were taken from a film clip. I would suppose they were taken sometime before Mike's photo as some of the houses are still standing and it doesn't look like the block of flats had been built.

Attachments

• Aston Gladstone St 3.JPG
    Aston Gladstone St 3.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Aston Gladstone St 1.JPG
    Aston Gladstone St 1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Aston Gladstone St 2.JPG
    Aston Gladstone St 2.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 49
phil your photos were taken from the film clip on post 8...great little clip

lyn

Yes Lyn, I said I thought that they looked like they may have come from a film clip, now we know that is true.

My mother was born at 11 back of 21 in1938 . I know the family were bombed out and rehoused in Erdington.
Looking at the above map from 1951 (post#30 I'm guessing her address was the blank square on right hand side/bottom.

hi lynn
Yes i recall glastone street Aston when as a kid i used to knock about down there and on church lane with all the lads
and we used to wait for the villa fans or the away teams and when they parked there cars up we used to try and out do each other
to asked the car divers we will look after your car mate it was for money for a tanner or half a crown as time and the monutary dcimalisation
but i may add that on here way back ten year or just short of that period this forum done gladstone street
and we had a map and a picture of that street with the shop in it and a couple of terraces and a batch of the old houses
and of the old lady whom used to make the toffee apples and put them in here front window of her house selling them for a 1 penny
all us kids used to knock her door and get one and she soon sold out but always had them when she made mor
and yes i knew lots of kids down and around there all from upper thomas street school and i used to court a girl named susan down in gladstone street
then one day she died whilst young but unfortunately some one hi jacked the site and every think was taken and lost
still i think our good old mike may be able to pull out a rabbit or two best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan;;;;
Every chance that the old lady you mention selling toffee apples was my Gran, Olive Brown, she lived at 22 Gladstone Street, we lived there with my Gran until 1951. We moved when I was 6 but Gran lived there until 1960 when she died. My Aunty and Uncle lived in the houses at the back of 22/24 in the courtyard.

Last edited:
Every chance that the old lady you mention selling toffee apples was my Gran, Olive Brown, she lived at 22 Gladstone Street, we lived there with my Gran until 1951. We moved when I was 6 but Gran lived there until 1960 when she died. My Aunty, Uncle lived in the houses at the back of 22/24 in the courtyard.
hi brian have you got the address correct...should that be 2/24..if you are not sure if you give me your aunt and uncles name i can check it up for you

lyn

Does it mean the houses at the back of 22 and 24? Rather than the number of the back house.
You would know better than me if that was possible.

Does it mean the houses at the back of 22 and 24? Rather than the number of the back house.
You would know better than me if that was possible.
jan number 24 would be the front house..no 22 the number of the house at the back of no 24..it just seemed a lot of houses at the back to me but without a map cant be sure

On the 1939 register Olive Brown was at No. 22. Back of 22 & 24 also shown.

Attachments

• gladstone-st-#22.jpg
    gladstone-st-#22.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think it's just one of those inconsistences with back houses, sometimes listed at the back of the house they're behind and sometimes listed behind one of the houses at the 'back' entrance.

Yes, Josephine Hipkins, wrongly listed as Joyce in 1957 I think.

hi brian have you got the address correct...should that be 2/24..if you are not sure if you give me your aunt and uncles name i can check it up for you

lyn
Hi Lyn, my Gran lived in number 22 on Gladstone Street and my Aunt and Uncle lived at the back of the court yard which was accessed by way of the entry alongside number 22. They lived in the house behind the communal wash/loundry building, their name was Hipkins. My Gran lived lived in number 22 from about 1928 till 1960. My Gran made toffee apples and bread pudding to sell to neighbours, when we visited her she would give us toffee apples or bread pudding what ever she had just made. She also used to save the parking space outside her house for a Villa fan who came to the home matches on a Saturday afternoon, probably for a couple of bob.
Brian

Last edited:
Back