• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook

NigelP

I'm interested in knowing when Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook was bombed during the Second World War. I've come across a photo on nos 9 & 11 which was produced by a jobbing photographer from Cardiff who sold 5 prints to the householder sometime in the 1920s. I know the early numbers in the street were flattened but I haven't been able to identify on what date this was. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 18
Below is a map which c 1950, which shows that 9, and 11 were still there then

map c1950 gladstone st showing nos 9 and 11.jpg

plus according to the BARRA site the road was hit in 1940 back of100 had quite a few injuries...

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
VaughanAgnes Boyd12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook34CivilianView
VaughanConrad12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook3CivilianView
VaughanGeorge12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook38CivilianView
VaughanJane12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook8CivilianView
VaughanNoreen12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook10CivilianView
VaughanThora12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook0CivilianView
WelchJames12/12/1940Back 100 Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook23Civilian

Sorry. Actually it's not even Gladstone Road, but Street !!. But, as the CORRECT map below shows, the statement was true, even if not the map

map c1950 gladstone road ashowing nos 9,11.jpg

Sorry. Actually it's not even Gladstone Road, but Street !!. But, as the CORRECT map below shows, the statement was true, even if not the map

View attachment 149272
Interesting. Thanks. So they did survive the war only to be swept away in a post war redevelopment - modern maps show number 25 as being the lowest numbered Victorian house left. I wonder if they were standing but bomb damaged and ready for the wrecking ball anyway?

Map here shows bombs dropped on 19th & 20th November 1940 on Gladstone Road

bombing Gladstone Road 19-20 NOV 1940.JPGbirmingham bombing 19-20 Nov 1940 small heath bordesley sparkhill areas.jpg

Last edited:
The 1960 and 1965 e rolls for Gladstone Road (Sparkbrook Ward) list people at number 1 and then number 9, 11 and so on. 1952 map does not show a number 1?
Those are the last I can access online.

Last edited:
Interestingly on the 1939 e roll the record starts at number 9 so no idea where number 1 came from.
Just a thought, was number 1 the start of the new houses?

Last edited:
Interestingly on the 1939 e roll the record starts at number 9 so no idea where number 1 came from.
Just a thought, was number 1 the start of the new houses?
The 1939 Register does have an entry for number 1 but it's blank and there is a V next to the number, vacant?

My great grand parents lived within the area shown by RobT, on the corner of Medlicott Rd. and Abbotsford Rd., amazingly the house is still there today(GoogleMap) makes you appreciate what a lottery it was for our relatives to live at that time.

Back