• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Give us yer donny

l never heard my father swear he always said l can cuss as good as the next bloke but never in front of a women...my mother had to be really upset to say dame and blast under her breath so l guess l lived a very sheltered live...untill l met my inlaws that's when l really had an education...the young people of today have no idea what they sound like when they cuss ..l am the one who is shocked and when l bring it to their attention they really don't see whats wrong....by the way l only bring it up to my kids and g/kids so they know they have to leave their potty mouth at the front door.

Brenda,that's good to hear.Im 80 and can honestly say that I have never ever Sworn in front of my Wife or Children even after working with some choice people.My father never swore at all.But my mother used to,but never understood what she said because she swore in ITALIAN.But she would say YOU MAK A ME .MAD

Brenda,that's good to hear.Im 80 and can honestly say that I have never ever Sworn in front of my Wife or Children even after working with some choice people.My father never swore at all.But my mother used to,but never understood what she said because she swore in ITALIAN.But she would say YOU MAK A ME .MAD
Especially for you, note no swearing. ;)

“Donny” derives from an old Norman-French expression, which I think I might have written something about, elsewhere on this site; but I can’t now recall the exact meaning ... sighs, it comes to us all ...

My mother use to use the word Fandangle .I remember her using this word (which I believe means useless ornament) when the mobile phones came out the ones that looked like a black brick she would say ^another useless Fandangle^ How wrong she was ^bless her^.

Robert don't know we're she got it from.But this was in the 50s.She was the forewoman in the Sausage house atMarsh & Baxters and worked with a lot of Scottish women

Do any of you Brum dwellers hear it now?

I haven't heard it for years, but then I do live in Wales. (where they have 'babi' - pronounced 'babby', and 'becwys' - pronounced 'bek-oose', meaning 'bakery' and many other Brum/Black Country type words)

How about ' napper' for 'head'. The old folks used to say 'mind your napper', when we walked near the table edge as little children.
I suppose it's not so surprising there are a lot of expressions in common between us and the Welsh is it?

My mum used to say it to me - usually in winter she would say 'are your donnies cold?' or giving me gloves/mittens she would say 'these will keep your donnies warm'

My dad always referred to hands as donnies, as did I and my sisters when we were kids.

Last edited:
I still say give us your donny to my grandkids, and I say babby, but my daughter keeps correcting me saying its baby.
My Nan never called me anything but Bab, right up to her death in my mid-thirties. When I was a kid I used to wonder if she actually knew my name, but I still loved it.

Back