• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Girls' Brigade And Air Cadets - Girls Venture Corps

Beck14GB

Looking for past members to share their memories of their time in The 14th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade/Girls' Brigade at The People's Chapel, Great King Street, Hockley. Also a linked company in Kingstanding, John Bunyan Hall.

I think this is who you mean. Second row down, third from the right my sister Rene Ingram. Directly below her with the two stripes, her friend Peggy. I would guess taken in the mid 40s

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister was in the GLB, in the 1960's, but they usually met in Smith St School.
My elder Brothers were in the 1st A Boys brigade at the People Chapel, and I was in the Life Boys there, and moved away just as I would have 'gone up' to the Seniors.

Brian

Thanks Brian.
I had heard that they met in Smith St school but I don't have much more information at the moment. Officers names, photos and general memories of what went on at GLB are what I would like to try and find out about.

Beck

Michael
Are you sure this is Girls' life Brigade? I don't recognise the uniform from the few photos I have seen.

Beck

There was always a connection between the Peoples Chapel and Kingstanding - I think kingstanding was founded as an outreach 'Mission' in the days of Sir Donald Finnemore.
I know the Boys Brigade always have a march on Remembrance Sunday from the New Peoples Chapel in great King St followed by a light lunch and get together where they have loads of old photo's on display of the Company and of previous camps, etc. My 2 elder brothers usually go. I have visited, but never 'went up' into the mainCompany because we had moved soi went to Glebe farm.
I'm unsure if the GLB join in on the occasion.
May be worth looking at the Chapel's website?

Brian

robb these are great pics especially the first one as you can just make out the joseph lucas factory...

cheers

lyn

I hadn't realised. My sister was in the GLB but must have moved to something else later. I will phone her and find out what it was. Does any one have any idea?

No, it is the Girls Training Corps. The Girls Venture Corps was formed from the GTC and the Women's Junior Air Corps in 1964. That photo of my sister in the GTC was taken about 1945

There was always a connection between the Peoples Chapel and Kingstanding - I think kingstanding was founded as an outreach 'Mission' in the days of Sir Donald Finnemore.
I know the Boys Brigade always have a march on Remembrance Sunday from the New Peoples Chapel in great King St followed by a light lunch and get together where they have loads of old photo's on display of the Company and of previous camps, etc. My 2 elder brothers usually go. I have visited, but never 'went up' into the mainCompany because we had moved soi went to Glebe farm.
I'm unsure if the GLB join in on the occasion.
May be worth looking at the Chapel's website?

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I have current contact as I am the captain of the 14th Girls' brigade but we are trying to gather information for history for the GB 90th and also the BB 100th. The GB have very little information up to 1969 when it closed before reopening in 1975. We have contact with a few passed members but want to try and make contact with many more to get as much information as we can. Would love to know names of officers over the years etc. I am aware of a link with Kingstanding but not sure whether the company ran under a different number.

Becky

My mother was in the glb in the 1920's or maybe earlier she was a captain at one point i remember
her saying, i have quite a few photo's and also my dad was in the blb as it was then and donald finnemore
married them at the peoples chapel in 1927, he was known to us as judge finnemore. We used to go to all the christmas parties
they had in the chapel.

Back