• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Girl With Hoop

Hula Hoop. flared jeans and Duffel ( the name of the Belgian town where the type originated but - for some reason - called duffle in Britain) coat maybe dates this as early 1960's. She is living the part it seems. :D,
Actually we have a couple of these plastic hoops here, but in recent times were used in restraining plants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula_hoop

Inclined to say it's later 60s (maybe even early 70s) as she's wearing 'loon pants'.

Oh the joys of hula hoops. I remember our local sweet shop having them tied up outside the shop. Can't remember how much they were but they were really good value for money. (And a healthy thing to do). Some were smooth and some had ridges. They were always bright, primary colours. And they're still around today. Viv.

I am inclined to say late 60’s, maybe early 70’s too. The loon pants caught my eye as well. I bought some in 1971, my word, looking back they were dire, I had two different contrasting colours.

I was also looking at the PVC plastic waste pipe on the house. They were lead, then late 50-s 60’s became copper. PVC plastic started to creep in late 60’s early 70’s

Certainly mine would have been late 50s. I went to my dad's factory on Cuckoo Bridge (two buses) where he had made it for me.

I find it hard to believe that this is later than the 1950`s. Surely people didn`t live in such terrible conditions in the 60`s? I can`t remember such slums as in the photo? I spent most of my time in Erdington, Aston & Lozells. In the early 60`s I had to live with my sister in Lozells for a while & i thought that not having a bathroom was terrible but it was far from a slum as in that photo.

The net curtains remind me of some my mom had and they were definitely bought in the late 1960s. I remember this well because previously she'd had those glamorous Hollywood (!) cross-over nets edged with frills and tie backs in the 1950s. Viv.

I find it hard to believe that this is later than the 1950`s. Surely people didn`t live in such terrible conditions in the 60`s? I can`t remember such slums as in the photo? I spent most of my time in Erdington, Aston & Lozells. In the early 60`s I had to live with my sister in Lozells for a while & i thought that not having a bathroom was terrible but it was far from a slum as in that photo.
Smudger - I can't speak from personal experience but (and I think this might have been posted before) have a look at this Birmingham Mail article about the conditions in the 1960s https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...irmingham-streets-poverty-1960s-poor-11800488

smudger i lived in lozells from 58 to 72 eldest of 6 and that sort of housing was well around into at least the middle 70s even in parts of that area...i should know as myself and my family were not moved from our poorly built house until 1972 and i know of people who were still living in my old street in the 80s having said that i would not have swapped a min of my time there for all the tea in china although it would have been our mom and dad that bore the stresses of the hardship of material things...love was never an issue..a lot depends on the areas you lived in...some areas where these photographs were taken were pretty grim and dire places to live in..after many years of fighting for better houses and conditions folk just gave up in the end..a lot had no fight left in them as their houses were so bad no amount of trying could make them look any better....as there seems to be doubt on the date of some of these photos postie did give us some information about bob moore the photographer also when and roughly where these photos were taken which you could have missed when he posted the first photograph so i have copied and pasted it below

lyn

Bob Moore was born in Birmingham in 1940 and has lived all his life in and

around the city.

Many of the photos are from the 1960s and many of the buildings and streets photographed from this time have now disappeared from the face of Birmingham, the majority seem to have been for the general benefit of the citizens of the city.

If we are not very careful however, nostalgia can be an uneasy bedfellow. It can easily influence ones memory. It is too easy to forget that, in truth, this was a time of real poverty and hardship in the inner city area.

Dedicated to all the friendly and co-operative people of Birmingham he photographed.

I have a collection of black and white photos taken by Bob during the sixties, unfortunately they

are not named locations although some have been discovered by some clever detective work.

Bob did say that they were taken in the inner city areas, mainly Balsall Heath, Highgate,Ladywood and areas in that general direction.

With a bit of luck some of the faces or places may be recognised..
index.php

postie, Jul 6, 2018EditHistoryDeleteIP
#1Like+ QuoteReply

Last edited:
Smudger - I can't speak from personal experience but (and I think this might have been posted before) have a look at this Birmingham Mail article about the conditions in the 1960s https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...irmingham-streets-poverty-1960s-poor-11800488
I must have lived a sheltered life, for i never encountered any slums. The nearest thing to `slum` was my lovely sisters house with no bathroom & a loo at the bottom of the garden. I seem to remember they got moved to a high rise flat in Newtown. The house where i lived in Erdington was a large 4 bed house, with bathroom & toilet. I lived there till i was `disowned` at the age of 17 & went to live with my sister in Lozells. Unsettling times but i`m glad i experienced them. Made me realise, you don`t know what you`ve got till you lose it.

I can see why Lyn speaks well of her Lozells home. Home, after all, is where the heart is and if it is a loving and happy place then many so called deprivations fade into the background.
Some members of my fathers family moved ( I do not know when but believe it to be just prior to WW2) from Spring Hill to a new house in Warstock. Lovely new place, green, open fields close by etc. etc. They hated it! All their true friends were still in B1. They moved back to B1, Monument Road.
I have always lived in a modern house, with all mod cons. However I spent a couple of years in an old cottage, without mods cons. My recently wed bride and I were very happy. Actually after 55 years we still are. :D

I worked in housing repairs for many years in Birmingham. I certainly remember in the late 70’s early 80's a lot of people living in what we would now call appalling conditions.

I honestly don’t know how some managed and how they prioritised their children over everything else.

smudger i lived in lozells from 58 to 72 eldest of 6 and that sort of housing was well around into at least the middle 70s even in parts of that area...i should know as myself and my family were not moved from our poorly built house until 1972 and i know of people who were still living in my old street in the 80s having said that i would not have swapped a min of my time there for all the tea in china although it would have been our mom and dad that bore the stresses of the hardship of material things...love was never an issue..a lot depends on the areas you lived in...some areas where these photographs were taken were pretty grim and dire places to live in..after many years of fighting for better houses and conditions folk just gave up in the end..a lot had no fight left in them as their houses were so bad no amount of trying could make them look any better....as there seems to be doubt on the date of some of these photos postie did give us some information about bob moore the photographer also when and roughly where these photos were taken which you could have missed when he posted the first photograph so i have copied and pasted it below

lyn

around the city.

Many of the photos are from the 1960s and many of the buildings and streets photographed from this time have now disappeared from the face of Birmingham, the majority seem to have been for the general benefit of the citizens of the city.

If we are not very careful however, nostalgia can be an uneasy bedfellow. It can easily influence ones memory. It is too easy to forget that, in truth, this was a time of real poverty and hardship in the inner city area.

Dedicated to all the friendly and co-operative people of Birmingham he photographed.

I have a collection of black and white photos taken by Bob during the sixties, unfortunately they

are not named locations although some have been discovered by some clever detective work.

Bob did say that they were taken in the inner city areas, mainly Balsall Heath, Highgate,Ladywood and areas in that general direction.

index.php

#1Like+ QuoteReply
I recognise 2 of my cousins.

hello oneofsixteen how wonderful that 2 of yours cousins are on that photos :) if you dont min me asking could you point them out please

lyn

The girl at the back (tallest) is the twin to 'Ballerina Girl' Ballerina Girl was Lorraine & her twin at the back of pic was called Wendy, When I said two I was thinking of the twin ha ha no hope for me, If poss i'd like to put up some more pics (if I can manage it) taken the same time 1964.

lyn

around the city.

index.php

#1Like+ QuoteReply
Thi was defo Ladywood. x

The girl at the back (tallest) is the twin to 'Ballerina Girl' Ballerina Girl was Lorraine & her twin at the back of pic was called Wendy, When I said two I was thinking of the twin ha ha no hope for me, If poss i'd like to put up some more pics (if I can manage it) taken the same time 1964.
hello oneofsixteen how wonderful that 2 of yours cousins are on that photos :) if you dont mind me asking could you point them out please

lyn
errrr when I said the girl at the back I didn't mean the one far back slightly out of focus I was referring to the girl attached to the group but the tallest1 (bet I've made it more confusing now. x

Back