• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gillotts Graham Street

O

O.C.

Great few pictures that have been recorded the pen nib making in Birmingham at Gillotts

There was a pen manufacturer in Watery Lane Bordesely. used to read their motto on the wall.

Macniven & Cameron Ltd
«They came as a boon and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen»
The company has a printing works on Blair Street, Edinburgh and the Waverley pen Works, Watery Lane, Bordesley, Birmingham. Its famous pens include Pickwick, Owl, Waverley, Phaeton, Nile, Hindoo and Commercial. The Waverley pen had a turned up point rather than a convex point. This took the extreme point of the pen off the paper and made writing smoother.

Thanks for that Brummie nick
Joseph Gillott started off making pen nibs at home and has his business improved he moved to premises in Church Street then into a yard of Newhall Street and finally in to a Purpose built factory in Graham Street called the Victoria Works and by 1860 he was making over 98.000gross of nibs and pens a week and each nib had the Gillots name embossed on them He was know as the pen maker of the World
Picture from the Graphic in 1874 shows the Prince of Wales visit to the factory

Did you know that Sir Josiah Mason made a fortune from his pen nibs, he was the first to split the nib which allowed the ink to run properly. O0

Over 100 factories making nibs at one time postie, here are Gillotts nibs

Off the top, without checking anywhere, I seem to remember that Gillott's built a new factory in Dudley in the mid-1950s. I did a vacation job for Osborne's the architects in Colmore Row in 1954, when I seem to remember a design was being worked up.
Peter

All of those pictures bought back memories Graham, The processes at least. When I worked for British Pens Ltd, they were still making nibs of all shapes and sizes. It was amazing just how many processes a humble pen nib went through, and how precise they all had to be. We used to make lino cutters and scalpul blades as well. Do you have any historical data on British Pens ? When I was there, the MD was Mr Brian Thomas Study-Hooper and the works manager was Mr Powell.

For anyone living locally I would recommend a visit to The Pen Room,
Unit 3, The Argent Centre, 60 Frederick Street. It is really interesting and explores the history of the pen making trade from the early quill to steel nib and fountain pen. It is also "hands on" - you can try to make your own writing nib using the original hand presses and try to write with a quill.

Joseph Gillott was living in Berry Hall on the 1881 census.

Dwelling: Berry Hall
Census Place: Solihull, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341735 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3082 Folio 52 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Joseph GILLOTT M 54 M Birmm, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Steel Pin Maker Employs 376 Persons
Maria GILLOTT M 49 F Walsall, Stafford, England
Rel: Wife
Florence M. GILLOTT U 25 F Solihull, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Alfred E. GILLOTT 14 M Solihull, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Ethel S. GILLOTT 11 F Solihull, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Sarah MALE U 30 F Somerset, England
Rel: Attendant
Occ: Childresn Attendant (Dom)
Emma CLARKE U 29 F Hereford, England
Rel: Cook
Occ: Cook (Dom)
Julia E. BURFORD U 26 F Worcester, England
Rel: Pr Maid
Occ: Parlour Maid
Isabella DUNN U 19 F Worcester, England
Rel: Housemaid
Occ: Housemaid
Mary WILKINS U 19 F Warwick, England
Rel: Housemaid
Occ: Housemaid
Mary JOINER W 49 F Warwick, England

Nice one Brummie,Maria Gillotts maiden name was Mitchell and by the time Joseph Gillott made his fortune he had a mansion in the South of England and a large estate in Rotten Park, where a road is named after him, for all his wealth his favorite pub was the Hen and Chickens in New Street and from their he use to go to the Theatre Royal, he died in 1872

He bought 10 pictures from Turner for £500 One was sold by Agnews in 2002 for £2.4 million. He left over one million pounds on his death.

Thanks for that kenh, in the next road down to Graham St was Charlotte St another pen nib  Company

I believe the gates of Berry Hall had pen nibs on them Is the hall still there and does it have these features on the gates

Be intresting to find out kenh.
Another couple of Birmingham Pen factories also H.Hewitt which I have not got a pic of at the moment

Joseph Gillott born Sheffield 1799 died January 5th 1872 buried section E nos 374-375. Key Hill Cemetery Hockley.

I will post a map in the cemeteries posts.

Gillot, Berry Hall, Knowle

Berry Hall, Knowle was a virtual ruin back in the 1980's. It is quite hard to get to. I would not expect the gates to be there anymore. I believe the whole estate was sold off in early 1900's. I remember exploring it before I ever knew about Gillott and his pens

Gillott, Berry Hall, Knowle

Some more info about the home of Gillott.

Gillott senior who started the pen nib business lived in the Edgbaston area and is buried at Key Hill.

I believe it was his son - also Joseph - who took over the business and had Berry Hall built in 1874. It was designed by J A Chatwin. It had its own gas generating plant and the wrought iron gates (poss on Marsh Lane) included his intial and trade mark. The extensive grounds included peach and nectarine houses and a vinery. The estate has been intersected by the Solihull By Pass built mid 1970's.

He died in 1903 and his son sold the estate off (including many properties in the local area) on 6 June 1904.

Later owners included Maurice Davis, an art dealer;
A business man from Sutton Coldfield; and a London Property agent. Names of last two unknown.

There were planning applications in 1957, 1959 and 1980 to turn it into a hotel but they were refused. I am not sure what has happened since the 1980's.

Pic attached

Steve

Back