• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

gilks family

polly kettle

knowlegable brummie
looking for gilks family from1881 onwards .they lived in and around nechells .my great grand father william clarence gilks married louisa hunt .as louisa gilks she had a shop in wharton st nechells and i also believe one in long acre.

Re: desendents of gilks family

Hi

The name Gilks rings a bell but only because my old solicitor was once in partnership with a solicitor named Gilks based near to the Law Courts in Birmingham. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hi, Just wondering if you are related to Emma Higley who Married Thomas Kettle 22-1-1873 as I have a few Kettles in my family tree.

Dear Baggie chris,I have no record of your Kettles in my family tree.My fathers family (Kettle) came from Goldenhill Staffs,and moved to Birmingham to Erdington at the turn of the 20th cent.My great grandfather was Edward Evans Kettle and his wife was Mahetable ,do these names ring any bells in your tree. My grandfather was Percy Kettle and he married Sarah Medlam.

hi polly
The kettles in my tree are
Edith Born 29-4-1894
Helen (Ellen) Born 1895
Emma Born 12-1-1897 and
Minnie Born 7-7-1899
These are all daughters of Emma Higley and Thomas Kettle
Emma was born in Bromsgrove Worcs and Thomas in Droitwich The daughters all born in Oldbury
It was worth an ask.
Thanks for quick reply.

Hi

In 1912 there is a Louisa JILKS 20 Wharton Street
in 1920, 1925, 1930 and 1935 it is Louisa Gilkes.

Suzanne

Dear smtr ,thank you for the info ,thats,s my great grandmother.I cannot find her death in Ancestry ,but as you can see Gilks can be spelt several different ways.I obtained her marriage cert.and thats spelt Jilks.Her maiden name was Hunt and her father is down as john Hunt deceased .She was born in 1858 in Birmingham ,when she married in 1882 she lived in Moland St.She was married at the "parish church in the parish of Bishop Ryder Birmingham"where ever that is,on 1 Oct 1882 .I just can,nt find her in the 1881 census.Thanks for your reply regards Polly.

Hi Polly

I think I have found Louisa's death. Louisa GILKES
1941 Bham Aged 83, which matches her birth of 1858.
Ref JFM quarter 6d 347.

In 1920 at 20 Wharton Street, a Thomas Cook is also listed. Did she have a daughter named Louisa A Gilkes who married Thomas?

In 1925 Thomas and Louisa Annie Cook are living with her.
In 1930 Just Louisa Ann Cook is mentioned as living with her.
In 1935 same as above
In 1939 Louisa Ann Cook, Florence Violet Cook and Doris Cook are there.
Louisa Gilkes is at 43 Cato Street North with Reginald A Gilkes, Edna Beatrice Gilkes and John James Gilkes.

In 1945 at 20 Wharton Street is Louisa Cook and Florence V Cook.

Hope this helps.:)

Suzanne

Dear Suzanne,Thank you so much for your time and effort.Doris Cook was my Mom and she married in 1944 .My Aunty Florence did,nt marry till 1951.Thomas Cook was their father and 1901 appears as a lodger in the Gilks house.He died when my Mom was about 12 which makes it about 1930.I can,nt find his exact death details.Kind regards Polly

Glad to help Polly:)
There is a possible death for Thomas C Cook Bham 1929 JFM Quarter ref 6d 48 aged 47 which makes his birth about 1882.

Suzanne

You,re so quick Suzanne.Just had one more look at the site before I went to bed and you,ve already replied .I will order the death certificates tomorrow and hopefully fill in some gaps.Thank you and G,night from down under.regards Polly

Back