• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

gilbertstone avenue south yardley

mah

master brummie
does anyone remember me.i lived in gilbertstone avenue from about 1939 to 1958.my name was margaret wilson and i had two younger brothers michael and geoffrey,we lived at 93 between the vine family and the taylors,opposite the park.i would be grateful to see any photos of ve/vj street parties that we might be on.

Hiya Mah

I remember the Vines - Linda Vine was my best friend, but when she got married and moved to Wolverhampton we lost touch , if I remember correctly her Aunt and Grandma both lived in the house as well. Did you go to Gilbertstone School?I knew quite a few people who lived in Gilbertstone Avenue.

Thank you for your reply oldgoose.When l was a child Mr and Mrs Vine lived there with three daughters,Phylis,Mary and Poppy and son Bill who became Lindas dad.I only remember Linda as a baby.Idid not go to Gilbertstone school as it was not built.My brother Geoff went there in 1955 though, my other brother and l went to Church Rd(now Yardley school)Some of neighbours l recall were Fellows,Richardson,Hoyland,Last,Witts,Hawkins,Wilde,stretton,Dexter and Belchamber.

Margaret

I had a cousin - Colin Maddox, who lived with his family, for a long time in Gilbertstone Av, can't remember the number though.
Jan

Hi Jan ,afraid l dont know your cousin.lf he lived there after the early sixties my mother moved so l no longer visited and lost touch. Margaret.

Hi Jan, I'm not sure but I think Colin Maddox was my Uncle! I don't know where he used to live but it could be a coincidence!

When I was a twelve-year-old in 1959, my St Johns Ambulance Brigade leader/ instructor lived in Gilbertstone Avenue. Although I went to his home on two or three occasions, I've no idea of the number, but the surname was Shaw. Our weekly meetings were held below Billy Pond’s Dance Hall in Green Lane, Small Heath, a redbrick building set back from the road almost surrounded by what I remember as allotments.

Last edited:
Mah,

Thank you for your reply oldgoose.When l was a child Mr and Mrs Vine lived there with three daughters,Phylis,Mary and Poppy and son Bill who became Lindas dad.I only remember Linda as a baby.Idid not go to Gilbertstone school as it was not built.My brother Geoff went there in 1955 though, my other brother and l went to Church Rd(now Yardley school)Some of neighbours l recall were Fellows,Richardson,Hoyland,Last,Witts,Hawkins,Wilde,stretton,Dexter and Belchamber.
Margaret

Can you remember any of the Christian names of the Strettons?

hi Fashions, the Strettons were Gary and his sister Norma. Gary turned up on my doorstep last year having met an old friend during a visit to the doctors, who gave him my address. We did not recognise each other at first as it was about 50 years since our last meeting! He was a friend of my brother and they have since met up .

I lived at 112 gilbertstone avenue from 1945 to 1953

our neighbours were err...a couple mr and mrs Tustin at 110.. mr and mrs mosely at 114 wendy ?? err at 108 roger headley at 122 ish

I lived on Moat Lane and I think Robin Kendall who is now 90 like me and lives in Worcester now; lived on Gilberstone?

Back