• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gilbert Family - Fruiterers

B

Boaman

I am currently carrying out family history research for my family and my wife's family.

My mother-In-law's Family (Gilbert) originate from Birmingham.

I know that my wife's Gt Gt Grandfather was Thomas A (Probably Albert) Gilbert brn c 1838 - he was a Fruiterer & a Farmer - with approx 9 acres of land.

He had at least one fruit shop - I have an 1881 census record for 398 Nechells Park Rd - not sure if this is a shop, house or both.
I also have an 1891 census record for what appears to be Sedsam Street (although I can't find any reference on the net for this)
Back Of No 62 - Fruit Shop by which time my wife's Gt Grandfather Charles Albert Gilbert brn c1869 & his wife Sarah brn c1863 were running this shop. Again I'm not sure if this is a second shop or they have moved.

If anyone is researching this area of the Gilbert Family please get in touch.

Glyn

I haven't heard of a Sedsam St but there is/was a LEDSAM St in the Ladywood area of Birmingham.
Good luck with your hunting. O0

Thanks postie

The census district is Ladywood - so it might be Ledsam - the Leading letters are always quite embellished so difficult to distinguish at times.

I've posted several threads regarding this - hopefully someone will be researching similar lines.

Thanks Again

Glyn

Hi. Boatman. Just saw this post with Regards Gilbert. I found a coin token in amongst some of my mother's old coins. You might find interesting. Unfortunately I have taken a photograph but it says the file is to big to upload. It says A. Gilbert 134 Wheeler street and says English and Foreign fruiterer. Value at 4d. Regards John

Hi. Boatman. Just saw this post with Regards Gilbert. I found a coin token in amongst some of my mother's old coins. You might find interesting. Unfortunately I have taken a photograph but it says the file is to big to upload. It says A. Gilbert 134 Wheeler street and says English and Foreign fruiterer. Value at 4d. Regards John
If you want to post the picture, open the picture in Paint, choose resize and reduce to 50%. and then save. Then post in the normal way. Hope this works for you.

Hello John Bev, Please note that Boaman is shown as a guest and is posting was made in 2006, and probably hasn't been on since then. Regards RobT

Back