• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GIBLIN Bridget

jjuj

master brummie
Hi, I am looking for help tracking down G G Grandparents
Bridget Giblin b abt 1829 Ireland
Richard Giblin b abt 1834 Ireland
Mary Ann Giblin dau b 1861 birmingham my G grandmother m Aug 1887 Henry Walls
Thomas Giblin son b 1865 birmingham
I have them in 1871 & 1891 in Pritchett Street. The only time I find Richard is 1871
I don't have Bridget's maiden name, they may have married in Ireland. I will have to get Mary Ann's birth cert to help there. Where are they in 1881?:rolleyes:

I would really appreciate any help.

Jean

hello jean, if you are looking on ancestry the family are transcribed as gittin still living at pritchett street, but bridget is a widow.

bridget 65 b. ireland, mary ann 20 b. bham, thomas 16 b. aston, and they have a boarder james hoban aged 26

Hi Shera, with that spelling no wonder I could not find them. Thank you so much.

Jean

in 1901 thomas is married to an annie and has a son thomas aged 7 mths. they are living in lower tower st. bham

hi Jean
below is my family tree as far back as i can get it , you will find the Giblins probably came from the Mayo, Rosscommon area of Ireland, in the days when they came to England of course it was all one country. Richard could easily be related to my gggf Michael, their ages sort of correspond, other names too were common......here they are

Just found her with her grandparents in Cecil Street.1891
Michael Giblin age 55 b. Ireland
Margaret age 54 b. Ireland
Thomas age 22 b. Birmingham son.
Elizabeth age 11 b. Ireland daughter. This must be Elizabeth their grandaughter as she is not on the 1881 census as their daughter my grand mother.

1881 New Summer Street.
Michael Giblin age 45 b. Ireland
Margaret age 44 b. Ireland
Mary 18 b. Ireland
Thomas age 12 born America, an error I would think.

1871 census
Shortheath road ,Erdington
Michael Giblin age 35my gggf
Margaret age 33
Bridget 15 went on to marry a Conolly also born ireland
Michael 13 my ggf went on to mary Anne Lamb
Mary 9 all born Ireland
Thomas age 2 b. Aston.

Hi Ozbrummie,
thank you for this information. I am stuck at Richard & Bridget and have not been able to find anything else about them. I don't have acces to the Irish records. It would be great if we found we were related. Again thanks very much.
Jean

hi Jean
below is my family tree as far back as i can get it , you will find the Giblins probably came from the Mayo, Rosscommon area of Ireland, in the days when they came to England of course it was all one country. Richard could easily be related to my gggf Michael, their ages sort of correspond, other names too were common......here they are

Just found her with her grandparents in Cecil Street.1891
Michael Giblin age 55 b. Ireland
Margaret age 54 b. Ireland
Thomas age 22 b. Birmingham son.
Elizabeth age 11 b. Ireland daughter. This must be Elizabeth their grandaughter as she is not on the 1881 census as their daughter my grand mother.

1881 New Summer Street.
Michael Giblin age 45 b. Ireland
Margaret age 44 b. Ireland
Mary 18 b. Ireland
Thomas age 12 born America, an error I would think.

1871 census
Shortheath road ,Erdington
Michael Giblin age 35my gggf
Margaret age 33
Bridget 15 went on to marry a Conolly also born ireland
Michael 13 my ggf went on to mary Anne Lamb
Mary 9 all born Ireland
Thomas age 2 b. Aston.

jjuj, I would get Mary Anns certificate to clear up some points because there are 2 marriages in Birmingham for a Richard Giblin
1960 to either Ellen Cain or Julia Grady
1968 to Bridget Cronin it could be a second marriage and she may not be the mother of the children.

Thanks Alberta, I will get the certificate soon. Been having a rest from FH for a few months - now I need to try to get my brain back in the zone.

Jean

Hi Alberta, I am even more confused now!!!! Have received Mary Ann's birth cert today and the mothers name is Maria Callighan. Her father James Giblin appears to be correct - his occupation is bricklayers labourer. The address on cert is back of 36 John Street Birmingham. Can anyone throw any light on this for me please. There was another Mary Giblin born 1861, but I chose the mary ann cert as she always appears to be addressed by that in all the censuses!!
Jean

jjuj, I would get Mary Anns certificate to clear up some points because there are 2 marriages in Birmingham for a Richard Giblin
1968 to Bridget Cronin it could be a second marriage and she may not be the mother of the children.

Hi Alberta, I have finally managed to get the correct birth cert for Mary Ann Giblin, Sept 1861- mother is Ellen Cain - also looks as if she died in 1862!! So Thomas could be Hannah's child!! The address on the birth cert was 9 court, Loveday Street, Birmingham. Is there anyone who can place them there in the 1861 census, as I cannot find them before 1871 ?

Thanks Jean

Hi
I wonder if this is Richard and Ellen in 1861?
Living at 14 court 1 house Glover Street
Richard GEBBIN aged 34 born Roscommon - lodger - labourer
Ellen GIBBIN aged 30 - wife - born Roscommon - vice maker
The head of the house is Patrick Seally aged 54 - labourer - born Roscommon
His wife is Catherine Seally aged 53 born Roscommon

Richard and Ellen aren't on the same page so if you search for Richard he is at the bottom of the page and Ellen is at the top of the next page:)

Hi
It looks like Mary Ann was christened at St Chad's according to familysearch.org
Maria Anna Giblin
christened 6 Oct 1861
Father: Ricardi Giblin
Mother: Helenae Kayne Giblin

Hi Alberta, I have finally managed to get the correct birth cert for Mary Ann Giblin, Sept 1861- mother is Ellen Cain - also looks as if she died in 1862!! So Thomas could be Hannah's child!! The address on the birth cert was 9 court, Loveday Street, Birmingham. Is there anyone who can place them there in the 1861 census, as I cannot find them before 1871 ?

Thanks Jean

There is a death for Ellen Giblin in 1867 Aston born c1834. If it is the correct person she still could be Thomas' mother as Richard Giblin married the second time in 1868.

Thank you smtr for all this information. Giblin has been transcribed with so many different spellings. I shall look at all the info, and if this is them in 1861, It will be useful to know where they originated from in Ireland.

Thanks again Jean

There was a thread previously for Giblin, I mentioned in that thread that we always thought my mother in law's maiden name was Giblin but in our searches we found that the Giblin name was somehow involved because she was illegitimate and brought up as a sister to her birth mother, her real name appears to be Barlow. Her first name was Ellen or to us Nellie. Eric.

Back