• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gibbs, Joseph. At Debtor's Prison

Welshnwobbly

proper brummie kid
My great, great grandfather Joseph Gibbs, a brass founder, grocer and provisions dealer, of 136 Lawley Street, Birmingham, had to appear as insolvent on November 13, 1852, at 10am at the County Court of Warwickshire after some years earlier being imprisoned for six months for stealing paper, the property of Martin Billing.
He was ordered to report to John Guest, clerk to the county court at Waterloo Street, Birmingham, on that date for an examination into his debts, estate etc.
Does anybody know where I might find further details of the case or whether or not he would have been sent to debtor's prison?

There is a record on findmypast for a Joseph Gibbs in Prison Registers for 1852. No idea if this is your Joseph Gibbs though.

Gosh, sounds like the chap had a tough time. Does anyone know when Debtors Prison was done away with? I must admit I don't know anything about this but I guess this was a harsh form of punishment.

It would seem he had been in trouble in 1849 as well. Same address and a notice in London Gazette of August 1849.

Many thanks to you all for your help.
This helps me to find him in prisons.
I was very interested to read on this forum yesterday the post from the man researching Winson Green prison and the appalling incidents of abuse and cruelty to prisoners by the governor there.
It really does stink.

My great, great grandfather Joseph Gibbs, a brass founder, grocer and provisions dealer, of 136 Lawley Street, Birmingham, had to appear as insolvent on November 13, 1852, at 10am at the County Court of Warwickshire after some years earlier being imprisoned for six months for stealing paper, the property of Martin Billing.
He was ordered to report to John Guest, clerk to the county court at Waterloo Street, Birmingham, on that date for an examination into his debts, estate etc.
Does anybody know where I might find further details of the case or whether or not he would have been sent to debtor's prison?
Wasnt sure if my you have my message but i am also related to joseph gibbs and Maria or Mary freeth, my great grand father is your great great grandfather Williams brother :) phpto of joseph gibbs born 1850 and his wife Agnes steadman

Attachments

• 20210511_132908.png
    20210511_132908.png
    917 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210511_133133.png
    20210511_133133.png
    898.2 KB · Views: 8
There is a record on findmypast for a Joseph Gibbs in Prison Registers for 1852. No idea if this is your Joseph Gibbs though.
It could well be, as My father told me that he was told of the gibbs family running a grocers in London, not sure where but this confirms this history for me, i am guessing, he travelled between birmingham and London

Back