• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghosting on Videos

jimbo

master brummie
Would anyone know why when someone send me a video the picture keep breaking up and a greenish ghosting effect disrupts the video?
Thank you all in advance
PS I have not altered any of my settings.
PPS how do you increase the volume? Some are so quiet I can't hear them.

OK, how are you receving them? It sounds to me like there has been a loss of data in the video when transferd, its quite a common thing to happen.

Morturn, they come as an attachment on emails. The sort of thing that plays either a song or a joke. It has only been happening the last couple of weeks.

Ok I thought so, email attachments are not a good way of sending videos because of data loss etc. If you can, either doing it directly with a USB memory stick or use a file transfer facility like we send it or drop box etc.

Morturn, they come as an attachment on emails. The sort of thing that plays either a song or a joke. It has only been happening the last couple of weeks.
If the problem has only recently appeared ..
1) Download the video into your device
2) Rename it - change one letter in the name - make sure you keep the file extension.
3) Email it back to the sender and ask them to run the renamed video on their device

It will either show perfectly for them or maybe faulty as you are seeing it
Depending on the results we can possibly offer solutions for different methods etc ... :)

If the problem has only recently appeared ..
1) Download the video into your device
2) Rename it - change one letter in the name - make sure you keep the file extension.
3) Email it back to the sender and ask them to run the renamed video on their device

It will either show perfectly for them or maybe faulty as you are seeing it
Depending on the results we can possibly offer solutions for different methods etc ... :)
oldMoawk. Thank you, will try that and hopefully get some success.

It has only been happening the last couple of weeks.
Has your windows 10 recently updated to 2004? I have just installed this latest version on a friends laptop and am getting a similar problem. I'm investigating!

Jumbo. Press Windows key + R , type winver (and enter) and it will display the version you’re using.

Windows 10 versions ... :)

The original Windows 10 Version 1507 issued 29 July 2015
Version 1511 issued 10 November 2015
Version 1607 issued 2 Aug 2016
Version 1703 issued 5 April 2017
Version 1709 issued 17 October 2017
Version 1803 issued 30 April 2018
Version 1809 issued 3 October 2018 ...
Version 1903 issued May 2019
Version 1909 issued September 2019
Version 2004 issued May 2020

One way of sharing photos and videos with family or friends is to use the 'Screen Sharing' facility in either Skype or Zoom. If the other person runs the video in their computer, you see it on your screen.

I've been doing it with the other grandparents looking through all the videos and photos of the grandkids and other family photos. If I'm looking at the BHF they can see what I can see showing the old street pics etc. It is also useful for showing how to solve computer problems.

Skype is built into Windows so it is already in most computers and completely free and very easy to use. It can be installed in Apple devices.

Zoom has to be installed and has more settings aimed at business use but is free for home use. One feature in Zoom is the 'touch-up-my-appearance' button which gently smooths out any wrinkles you might have ... :rolleyes:

Both systems can put a virtual backgrounds behind users but really needs a very fast i7 processor for decent results. Add a nice bookcase behind or a beach scene.

I've been using Zoom or Skype nightly during the lockdown months.

One way of sharing photos and videos with family or friends is to use the 'Screen Sharing' facility in either Skype or Zoom. If the other person runs the video in their computer, you see it on your screen.

I've been doing it with the other grandparents looking through all the videos and photos of the grandkids and other family photos. If I'm looking at the BHF they can see what I can see showing the old street pics etc. It is also useful for showing how to solve computer problems.

Skype is built into Windows so it is already in most computers and completely free and very easy to use. It can be installed in Apple devices.

Zoom has to be installed and has more settings aimed at business use but is free for home use. One feature in Zoom is the 'touch-up-my-appearance' button which gently smooths out any wrinkles you might have ... :rolleyes:

Both systems can put a virtual backgrounds behind users but really needs a very fast i7 processor for decent results. Add a nice bookcase behind or a beach scene.

I've been using Zoom or Skype nightly during the lockdown months.
Thank you, that sounds like a good idea I will have to have a go at it with my grandkids, they are all quite techno minded. What are the differences in the windows versions and is it worth me trying to upgrade/change what I have?

Thank you, that sounds like a good idea I will have to have a go at it with my grandkids, they are all quite techno minded. What are the differences in the windows versions and is it worth me trying to upgrade/change what I have?
Version 1809 which you are using is two years old and I'm surprised Microsoft have not forced an update on you. The version updates take about 45 minutes dependent on how fast your internet connection is.

If you click 'Updates and Security' in 'Settings' you could see what Microsoft are offering. They would probably update you to at least 1909. The version updates can sometimes have problems and you usually get a 10 day 'roll-back' period.

I suppose if 1809 is running ok for you there is no need to change but they have supposedly built more security into the latest versions.

When I installed version 2004 (the day the issued it !) I did not notice much difference.

Last edited:
Version 1809 which you are using is two years old and I'm surprised Microsoft have not forced an update on you. The version updates take about 45 minutes dependent on how fast your internet connection is.

If you click 'Updates and Security' in 'Settings' you could see what Microsoft are offering. They would probably update you to at least 1909. The version updates can sometimes have problems and you usually get a 10 day 'roll-back' period.

I suppose if 1809 is running ok for you there is no need to change but they have supposedly built more security into the latest versions.

When I installed version 2004 (they day the issued it !) I did not notice much difference.
Thank you for explaining that. As you say my version seems OK so I will carry on with it for now, it's got nothing to do with me being useless!

Back