• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

There used to be a chain, I think it was London-based, but they had a branch in Bournemouth - Threadgold? or some such name - same mixture of smells and now long since gone. One or two delicatessens that also sell coffee also have a similar smell.

Maurice :cool:

Fine Fare and Maypole smelled like washing powder and off cheese and cardboard. The Co Op, I don't know, maybe bacon, fresh cheddar and butter? Not coffee. Loose tea maybe. I don't remember them selling bread. Bead was from the bakers.

This was sent to me by Nico, who asked me to resize the photo for him he took in Kenilworth. For Ghost Signs. Of George Masons Green Grocers. It is in the High Street.
Broken biscuits in tins with glass lids. I remember when they went walk around with a woman at the till all
new fangled.

George-Masons2.jpg

14 years living in JQ and never ever noticed this on Albion Street before!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-11-16-39-59-322_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-11-16-39-59-322_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 43
thanks bri i took a photo of that one a couple of years back...think i posted it on here but too many posts to go back on to check lol

lyn

Some ghost signs have virtually disappeared and are illegible. Some original images of buildings with signs that have later become ghost signs have been made available on this thread by member SteveBhx here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-birmingham-photos-from-stevebhx.52814/page-4. Member pjmburns has matched them up with the current Google Streetview. These are reposted here for future reference. Viv.

61 Anderton Road “Stratford House”
1E7C3FD3-AF85-464A-9650-4273370930F0.jpeg

149 Soho Road
A8E65ADF-EC6B-4FB0-93A5-6B4395FB0FAA.jpeg

377 Soho Road. No obvious signs of a ghost sign, but there’s the possibility of there being some evidence of the sign underneath the boards. Boards and fasciae often preserve a sign beneath them.
5474C531-06CB-4CD8-86E1-49377597EE7C.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m reposting this one of SteveBhx’s photos from the Corner Shops thread because it did have a ghost sign, but due to the changes to the roof, all traces have now gone. But you can see the fixings for the sign on the corner in the B&W photo and another oblong sign to the right.

A4869F78-9369-4FB9-B793-11D81AE382DD.jpeg

Back