• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

It is a former Birmingham Co-op Society shop. I am sure I have posted about it on here before. Maybe on a Co-op thread. Every time I go past I feel so sad about its decline.

yes another co op out of action...like jan i also find it sad..very distinctive shape to most co op shops..think there are 2 near me..one is now a tyre fitting place

lyn

Now that looks a reasonably attractive commercial building, Jonob, whilst its successor, like many buildings today with their steel shutters, remind us of what criminal places most of our cities have become.

Maurice :cool:

Another look at the Food Market building on Lakey Lane in Hall Green. It's been closed for a very long time.

At the top it says: BCS (or C BS).

I previously took it in the snow of March 2018.

There are several old Co Ops in Coventry like this. One has become a place of worship, an old depot. Two are DIY outlets. One is a charity shop. They were distinctive weren't they. And painted light blue. The main one was going to be a Student Cyber Café. Something studenty. Everything is geared at students now. The Fletchhampstead pub and Canley WMC - student accommodation and a student village. Would have made lovely homes.

I thought the lettering was gold.
I can't remember, when you are little you don't look up. Not high up. Well I didn't. I know what the counters looked liked. Dark polished wood. Sawdust floor in some with black and white mosaic tiles. Or was it blue and white.? Ladies in pale sad blue cotton overalls one man in a brown cow gown sliding across the high shelves on a ladder or a white cow gown if they were patting butter or slicing bacon. Usually the boss. The smart ladies wore coats over theirs in the winter. Bow fronted windows. I am remembering gold somewhere on the windows. On the wood surrounds I think. They did a ticket queueing service. I thought Nan had one a prize! I can even remember Nan's divvy 5 digit number and the cut thicknes number she had her bacon. She bought milk checks. Green ones. Loose biscuits in glass topped metal tins in the middle of the shop. "Don't touch!" Brass weighing scales like the Libra horoscope sign. They were on a pale grey marble counter. It had a special smell too. Gold letters I think in fine capitals. ramble! ramble!

Back