• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I too remember well Hiron's on Stockland Green, we had many plants from there. Can't remember the one on Wellington Road though although used to cyvle down there very often. Another bit of history bites the dust !!!

having watched central news item about ghost signs and their aim to set up a data base for them i contacted historic england to let them know that many of our members had been spotting them and posting them on the forum for many years and they sent me this reply...so if you would to send in your photographs giving the location of your ghost signs the info is below

Thank you for contacting Historic England Ghost signs can come in many forms but typically they are historic hand-painted advertising signs, or old shop signs preserved on buildings which have since changed use.

Often found in urban areas, ghost signs are an important part of the historic fabric on our high streets. These faded relics can tell us much about our collective architectural, cultural and social history.

Upload your images and stories to the map below https://historicengland.org.uk/whats-new/features/ghost-signs/#map to help us understand more about where these pieces of our past can be found.

If you are having issues submitting your ghost signs, please send your images, stories and the location of the sign to [email protected]

Kind Regards

Andy

Customer Services Advisor

Historic England, The Engine House,

Firefly Avenue, Swindon SN2 2EH

Tel: 0370 333 0607

Looks like Decorator to me Viv.
It definitely does so must advertise the services of a painter and decorator, above is probably his name in small lettering and then higher up is more large lettering which might be another tradesman sharing the advert.

Alternatively of course it might read as

WALLPAPERS
PAINT and
everything for the
DECORATOR
I tried to enhance it a bit but maybe someone has better means to enhance the lettering

Last edited:
This one is on the top of a building on Summer Hill Terrace (corner of Powell Street). I can make out the word 'Bros' and 'Silversmiths' but not the rest. Once, a very nice decorative sign.

Screenshot_20240115_201825_Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_201930_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_201930_Maps.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 11
i would be very surprised if this sign is not on this thread but its too long for me to go through although blink and you could miss it as its taken from where there are only 2 disabled parking spaces and the steps leading up are gated and locked...taken on the side of the station pub in sutton..i can make out most of what it says its a bit easier when viewing it in the flesh..the last photo is of a sign on another wall of the pub..photos taken the other day

lyn

ghost sign station pub.jpgghost sign station pub4.jpgghost sign station pub 3.jpgghost sign station pub2.jpgghost sign station pub 1.jpgghost sign station pub sutton.jpg

Last edited:
At the junction of Pershore Road and Fordhouse Lane. A partial sign that's fading fast, advertising Capstan cigarettes. The sign above the windows tells us it was once the tobacconist and newsagent shop of J & J Dale. Something tells me the days are numbered for this and the adjoining building.

Screenshot_20240223_073454_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240223_073402_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240223_073320_Maps.jpg

Could be barking up the wrong tree here, but could this sign be for Deutsch and Brenner ? (Involved in the construction of Odeon cinemas ?). This is a substantial building on Barr Street extending around onto Harford Street. The sign is only just visible, but it's partial and there's more letters before the 'Brenner'

Screenshot_20240223_200326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_094453_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_094453_Maps.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240224_094309_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_094309_Maps.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 11
That's great Pete, thanks, probably a 1930s building ? Looked better when it had the ground level windows.

Could be barking up the wrong tree here, but could this sign be for Deutsch and Brenner ? (Involved in the construction of Odeon cinemas ?). This is a substantial building on Barr Street extending around onto Harford Street. The sign is only just visible, but it's partial and there's more letters before the 'Brenner'
Deutsch and Bremner were a metal company. Oscar Deutsch although involved with the family company built up the Odeon chain of cinemas separately.

Deutsch and Bremner were a metal company. Oscar Deutsch although involved with the family company built up the Odeon chain of cinemas separately.
Odeon Cinema Coventry I think is an iconic building with a spectacularly dome now preserved thankfully as part of Coventry University.

Three in the Small Heath area. Johnston in Grange Road, I think, look to have been furnisher suppliers. Not sure about the other two on Green Lane. The B&W sign looks like it might have 'Andrews' in the name', the one next door might have 'music' in the name

Screenshot_20240226_185138_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240226_184735_Maps.jpg

Back