• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

In 1998 54 Allison Street is mentioned as The Warehouse Cafe, above Friends of the Earth.
Yes, I know the cafe above the Friends of the Earth shop. I can't remember if there was a painting on the side of the building, I've not been down there for quite a few years.

The firm existed before and after this, but at different addresses, but are described somewhat differently:
1873* Cadby George, silver & electro plate polisher, Borough saw mills; home 14 Brighton terrace. High street, Harbornc
1876 Cadby George,cabinet,mediaeval art metal & general polisher,
24 Summer row & 23 George st. Parade (established 1834)
1878,79,80 & 82 Cadby, George, metal & general polisher, 24 Summer Row
(Between 1882 & 1883 summer row was renumbered and 1883 is same site)
1883 Cadby, George, metal & general polisher, 62 Summer Row
1884, 1888, 1890 Cadby George , metal polisher, 62 Frederick St
1892,95,96, 97 Cadby George & Sons, metal polishers, 38 Albion street
1889, 1900 Cadby George & Sons, metal polishers, 28 & 29 Tenby St.
After 1951
1955,56,62,64,65 Cadby George & Sons Ltd. electroplaters,bronzers, polishers & enamellers, Barr st 19
1967 Cadby George & Sons Ltd. electroplaters,5.6 & 7 Harford st & (works) Barr St.
1968 - Not listed in Birmingham Kellys directory
The above come from Birmingham directories. All except that for 1873 (*) , which is William White's Directory, they refer to the Post Office Directory, which after 1879 became Kelly's Directory.
Attached is an advert from the 1967 Kellys, which seems the lastb year they ar elisted in Birmingham directories
I have passed this on to Ann Compton at the Sculpture website, and asked if they are aware of any extant work of the firm.

George_Cadby_advert_from_1967_Kellys.jpg

I have a reference given by the firm of Cadby & Sons Ltd. Barr Street for my mum dated February 9th 1940 signed by L A Willing Director.

Mum must have worked in the Lacquering room from Nov.1938-Feb 1940
May I use the photo of the building with mums profile please?

Acquinus House at 63 Warstone Lane. Surprisingly this has some nice features inside despite its use as offices (see below). It's Grade II listed.

It was built in the 1880s as a state of the art jewellery factory, with central heating and concrete floors, for the firm of Manton & Mole. The three-storey corner block housed the firm’s offices and warehouse, whilst the two-storey section fronting onto Tenby Street North accommodated workshops. Vv.

View attachment 110077

06136284-3736-4787-A796-1A0E5B5E1DE0.jpeg

Interesting as the premises of 63 Warstone Lane is referred to Aquinas House only relatively recently. Messrs Manton and Mole moved there from former premises in Edmund St between 1882-4. The earliest reference I can find is 1999.

“The Italianate-style former jewellery factory of Manton and Mole now Aquinas House, built in 1882 on the corner of Warstone Lane and Tenby Street North .This state of the art works consisted of three-storey corner block rent containing
offices and warehouses. and an adjoining two-storey workshop range…”

Birmingham Jewellery Quarter : an introduction and guide by Cattell, John. Publication date 2001

View attachment 179685

Interesting as the premises of 63 Warstone Lane is referred to Aquinas House only relatively recently. Messrs Manton and Mole moved there from former premises in Edmund St between 1882-4. The earliest reference I can find is 1999.

“The Italianate-style former jewellery factory of Manton and Mole now Aquinas House, built in 1882 on the corner of Warstone Lane and Tenby Street North .This state of the art works consisted of three-storey corner block rent containing
offices and warehouses. and an adjoining two-storey workshop range…”

Birmingham Jewellery Quarter : an introduction and guide by Cattell, John. Publication date 2001
The weather vane is rather interesting. I'd be interested in what people think it is!

Viv - I just tried the same thing. It is too high to get a clear view. From one angle it almost looks like a face. I wondered if it was connected to Manton and Mole's logo but can't find what that was.

Right here's my ultimate speculation!

I think the face is Thomas Aquinas (A canonised Saint).

One of his Sisters was killed by lightning and he developed a great fear of thunderstorms as a result.

An obvious candidate to be the face on this weathervane, which I suspect doubles as a lightning conductor.

If so well done to whoever put that on Aquinas House.

If not, well it's a good story regardless.

Last edited:
Following on from yesterday's posts on the weather vane. I've had a good look around Aquinas House just now and attach some pics of nice features.
I'm sure the weather vane is actually two faces now!
The one with the arrow is blowing the storm away in the direction of the arrow. This fits in with yesterday's post about Thomas's fear of storms. The other face is I suspect the Saint himself and at the right angle does look to be wearing some form of clerical headwear.
I might be completely wrong but hey it's fun!IMG_20230425_113709.jpgIMG_20230425_120649.jpgScreenshot_2023-04-25-12-36-13-823-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpgScreenshot_2023-04-25-12-37-15-086-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpgScreenshot_2023-04-25-12-38-28-907-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Back