• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Twittey Ltd

Simon68

master brummie
Hello,

Simon here (the token collector from Ipswich).

I've come across 3 different style trade tokens for a George Twittey Ltd located in Birmingham.

Currently have them listed on an auction website but wondered if anyone knew anything about what sort of trade was the Twittey company and when/where they were based.

Appreciate any info my BHF friends can provide.

Regards

Simon

In the 1940 directory there are
Twittey George Ltd fruit salesman Smithfield Fruit & Vegetable Market T A Mimosa Midland 4054
Twittey Geo shopkpr 276 Garrison La 9

Hello,

I've come across 3 different style trade tokens for a George Twittey Ltd located in Birmingham.

Currently have them listed on an auction website but wondered if anyone knew anything about what sort of trade was the Twittey company and when/where they were based.

Regards

Simon

Simon
On 1st December 1870 a George Twitty (as written) gave up the licence to the White Swan Tavern, Allison St to William Heritage. there is no record in the 1868 directory of him
In the 1872 and 1873 directories there is a George Twittey ,greengrocer and fruiterer at 131 Gt Charles St. It is someone else there by the 1876 edition, and there is no mention in the directories of a George Twittey till 1890. when he appears as a greengrocer at 37 Mary St, Balsall Heath. Three years later the numbering of Mary St is changed and it becomes 93 Mary St. He remains there till 1903, but in the 1904 directory is listed as at no 93 Mary St, but also as Fruit salesman Smithfield Vegetable Market (in Birmingham , not London). In the 1905 and 1908 editions he is only listed as at the market, but in 1910 he also now has a shop at 34 Warwick St. However by 1912 the shop has vanished and he is just listed as a fruit salesman at the market, but now has a Telegraph address "Mimosa". The firm became George Twittey Ltd between 1924 & 1932, and continued uo to the 1960s

Last edited:
Hi horsencart and mikejee,

Many thanks for your valued input, my tokens state ltd on them, so must therefore be between 1924 and 1960's as the maximum age spread.

Regards

Simon

Hello,

Regards

Simon

Hi . Just read these articles on George twitty. He was my great great grandfather. This was very interesting reading and would love any more info on him if there is any. The coins are a big part of my history and hope one day I can see them . Thank you for posting this made my day. Thank you . Bobbie

Back