• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George STEAD marriage in 1868

Pat Hase

Brummie babby
Familysearch has this marriage - 18 May 1868 - but does not include fathers' names in their transcription. I am particularly interested in the father of George STEAD - was it Thomas or William?
Many Thanks
Pat

Do you have some reason to doubt it was Thomas? George Stead born about 1849 Kingsbury?

On both the 1851 and 1861 he is listed as Thomas. And though there's no father's name given with George's marriage, father's name is given as Thomas on 2 of his sisters marriages.

George b1846 Kingsbury is with his wife Emily in 1871 at Bell Barn road with children Laura and George Philip.

In 1851 at the Station house Kingsbury,
Thomas Stead Station master
Elizabeth wife
children
Mary ann 6
George 4
Harriett 2
Philip. 1

Thomas Stead's birthplace is listed as Wollaton on the 1851 census and there is a baptism record for a Thomas Stead, parents William and Sarah - 2 Feb 1823.

There's also a marriage listed between a Thomas Stead and an Elizabeth Matthews, St Martin 25 Dec 1843 and a baptism for an Elizabeth Matthews, Kingsbury 20 Mar 1824.

The marriage record of George Stead to Emily Brown at St Martins on 18 May 1868 lists Father as THOMAS. He is listed as a Clerk. George's address is given as Sherlock Street.

Janice

Many thanks for all your replies. My concern was caused by a handwritten family tree which I had been given which had George's parents as William & Isabella. From the censuses this didn't make sense so the only way which I could see to check this was the details on his marriage record and I'm very grateful - even if it does mean that half the tree is wrong!!

Pat

Thomas Stead's birthplace is listed as Wollaton on the 1851 census and there is a baptism record for a Thomas Stead, parents William and Sarah - 2 Feb 1823.

There's also a marriage listed between a Thomas Stead and an Elizabeth Matthews, St Martin 25 Dec 1843 and a baptism for an Elizabeth Matthews, Kingsbury 20 Mar 1824.

Although Elizabeth MATTHEWS appears to be illegitimate is there a father's name for Thomas STEAD when he married her at St Martins in 1843? (Hopefully the William of William & Sarah)

You're being very helpful.

Pat

The record shows that the Father of Thomas is William, a carpenter. For Elizabeth it lists the Father as Thomas, a labourer.

Janice

Back