• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Snook, thimblemaker of Floodgate Street

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any information on a small factory in Deritend, George Snook of Floodgate Street?

George Snook was the owner of the factory which made thimbles and hat pins (and possibly bicycles as a side-line!). His ownership of the factory seems to have stretched from the mid-1880s to at least the 1920s. The 1888 Kelly's shows this factory located about midway between Deritend and Fazeley Street near to a tavern called Spring Gardens. (Also in this street, in addition to a number of other small factories, workshops, shops and pubs were Alfred Bird's baking powder factory, the Helping Hand Institution and the Shaftesbury Hall).

Any information would be much appreciated.

Chris

I have just found this site and am interested in 'SNOOK' in and around ASTON in the late 1800s. First, would you tell me if the George mentioned above is the George SNOOK at 195, Coventry Rd, Bordesley (as in Census for 1891). I have still to trace this latter GEORGE SNOOK (born Salisbury, 1840) back in to my tree at or around 1811 - where another George Snook was brother to my Great great grandfather HENRY SNOOK.

I hope that this is the kind of information you will appreciate.

Philip SNOOK

Back