• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Road Erdington

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to in the early posts on this thread have been lost.
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1910 .

Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
And more specifically - 371 George Road .
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1920's.

Ian.

HI IAN
Many thanks for showing the pics of george rd houses in the period of the 1920s
so now i know what type of house my father was born in he was born in 1922 at george rd i am trying to think of the house number
i think mrs t may have had the number on her thread when a long time ago i asked about houses for that period but no one had a picture of them great
i must try and get a check on the family for that period the family was elisabeth stevens i do not know the fathers name at the time if any onme throw light on it it would e great
thanks every one and thanks ian best wishes astonian

There was a MEB office in George Road in the early 70s I remember we went to collect our Hoover Twin Tub from there, can't remember why they didn't deliver it, perhaps because we were out at work.

Hi Sylvia: Welcome back. Hope you had a great holiday. Nice to have you home safe and sound.

The MEB building was my Dad's headquarters. He was mobile and Chester Street was his headquarters for several years and then MEB built behind the park. I have a feeling that that building is now gone and houses or flats are going up on the site.

Hi Ian: So many memories from your George Road photos. Thanks for posting them. Spent so many hours playing in the park years ago. Taking bread from home to feed the ducks in winter and summer. Took my children there on visits to Brum.
I had friends who lived in Neville Road and I also worked for a couple of years and R.M. Douglas. I almost forgot I attended the Chapel as a small child. I was really glad when they removed the railings separating the park from George Road.

Does anyone remember the "Sons Of Rest" on the corner of George Road and Brookvale Road? When I was a nipper I could never quite understand what this meant, and I still have a mental picture of a bunch of old men snoozing in deck-chairs...

JennyAnn, my good friend David Allen worked at R M Douglas - did you know him?

Big Gee

HI BIG GEE
WHERE DID YOUR BEST FRIEND DAVID ALLEN LIVE WHAT WAS HIS POSTION
AS I HAVE A LIFE LONG FRIEND BY THE SAME NAME AS HIM MY FRIEND IS DAVID ALLEN SPELT THE SAME AS WELL BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN IN ABOUT THREE YEARS NOW
WHEN I WENT TO HIS SONS WEDDING
HAVE A NICE DAY GEE BEST WISHES ALAN Astonian

And more specifically - 371 George Road .
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1920's.

Ian.

Went to school and worked with a mate who lived at 263, and lost count of the times I walked down Park Road to the Magnet club.

Alan,

I know David Allen from Erdington Operatic Society where he's musical director. He was a director of R M Douglas Ltd, but left some years ago and is now retired and living in Streetly.

Big Gee

PS: for some reason my earlier reply didn't register on the thread

Hi Big Gee: I remember the Sons of Rest building at the end of the lake on the George Road side and as we only saw older men going in there came to the same conclusions as you did about older men lazing around in deckchairs. My father became a member in his later years only because a neighbour asked him to. That funny building was very nice inside it seems and they had billiard tables and tables for other games. They also ran coach trips to local places. David Allen must have worked at RMD after I left in 1962 as I don't recall that name.

Thanks for posting Two. All the photos were lost from this thread, so it's good to see some of the road. Viv.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Another one to add to the collection. Not sure of a date, but possibly 1910/20s ? Must have been lovely living so close to the park. Viv.

image.jpeg

Does anyone remember a theatrical costumiers and fancy-dress shop on George Road, on the left hand side just before the junction with Slade Road? I don't think they were in business for very long.

G

Does anyone remember a theatrical costumiers and fancy-dress shop on George Road, on the left hand side just before the junction with Slade Road? I don't think they were in business for very long.

G
I think there was a shop. I vaguely remember a skelEton suit in the window?

G
There was a barbers shop & next to that a grocers shop. A bit further down was a "store" full of junk & war surplus, & later to become a dodgy betting shop. Can`t remember a fancy dress shop though. On the opposite side to the barbers shop was a enterprising woman selling toffee apples from her house, & i must say they were truly delicious!

I 'found' this the other day on ebay. It shows the shops from Two's post again but from a little further away. (I typed this yesterday but didn't press 'post reply!)

It's very similar to your view Viv but not exactly the same - no cart in the road and a notice by the lake entrance. Also a bit more of the corner shop.

Attachments

• George Road Shops.jpg
    George Road Shops.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36
Big Gee, yes I remember the shop. It wasn't there for very long and I think it had something to do with 'The Joker' which used to be on New Sutton Road., Erdington. Many years ago there was a private lending library in the same block (way before our time though).

Thanks Pedrocut and Lady P. I remember the skeleton suit too! And you're right - the shop wasn't there for very long.

G

Love seeing these old pictures. I've been tracing my family tree, and my great grandparents ran the green grocers on George Road in the 1930's. I believe it was on the opposite corner to the newsagents? They were the Carters and lived at number 197.

Love seeing these old pictures. I've been tracing my family tree, and my great grandparents ran the green grocers on George Road in the 1930's. I believe it was on the opposite corner to the newsagents? They were the Carters and lived at number 197.
There were two greengrocers in George road. One was sandwiched twixt a butchers & a newsagents, the other was on a corner of George road & Mere road with a newsagents on the opposite corner. I think the greengrocers was run by someone with a name like Vanderpols? She wacked me good & proper one day for "borrowing" an apple.

There were two greengrocers in George road. One was sandwiched twixt a butchers & a newsagents, the other was on a corner of George road & Mere road with a newsagents on the opposite corner. I think the greengrocers was run by someone with a name like Vanderpols? She wacked me good & proper one day for "borrowing" an apple.

Was that the shop that had a soda machine?

Was that the shop that had a soda machine?
My grandad ran a confectioners /newsagent in George road in the 1920s- his address was 109 George road but I'm not sure if this was the address of the shop or a separate home . i have a post card of the shop but it doesn't look quite the same as the one in the picture . Any ideas ?

Postcard from c1917 showing location of 111 George Rd. (3 Shops in this block of houses)
113 George Rd - Was a Butchers (To the left of 111)
111 George Rd - Was Fruit and Veg Shop
109 George Rd - Was your Grandad's Confectioners Shop. (To the right of 111)111 George Road - Brookvale Park - 1917.jpg

Postcard from c1917 showing location of 111 George Rd. (3 Shops in this block of houses)
113 George Rd - Was a Butchers (To the left of 111)
111 George Rd - Was Fruit and Veg Shop
109 George Rd - Was your Grandad's Confectioners Shop. (To the right of 111)View attachment 152751
Yes it must be - thank you very much his name was Thomas Kinning and was there from at least 1910 to 1940- although he was in the Royal Engineers between 1902 and 1915 so not sure who ran the shop in his absence, if anyone . My dad and his siblings were brought up there. Not very good postcard picture below.grandads shop , George road .jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Back