• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Matthews

W

weirdandwonderful

Hello
Can any tell me if they have any info on George Matthews.He had a stall for many many years.Any photos would be great as well.

No he had many stalls one was watches and then cakes and biscuits

Hello WandW,
I knew George very well through business, send me a private message...Cat

Hello Malvern yes i think their stall was there, he had brothers and they ran stalls too...Cat

Hello
I am George's grand daughter.Do you have any photos?

Thought so, I remember the one brother or son he was a friend of Barry Eustace (Joan and Bill Eustace Fruit and Vegetables) they had most of the far end of stalls nearest the church.

What happend to Matthews--they didnt seem to transfer to the new market?

I am in the Rag Market and Johnny is still on the outdoor.

George, used to come to our warehouse to buy goods he was/is a super guy, i have not seen him for years...Cat
We ran a large family business, wholesale and retail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny will remember Barry who I went to school with. I worked for them for about a month(as a favour) selling Tomatoes!!!

The EUSTACE family (Bill, Joan & Barry) were very well known in both the outdoor and indoor markets at the 60s Bull Ring having a fruit and veg stall in both.

Joan Eustace started on a barrow outside the old roofless market hall. Joan's son, Barry, went to Lordswood Boys Technical School, he knew Johnny Matthews well. Barry married Jennie who lived aroound Hollday Street and worked for the Eustaces in the indoor market. At that time they all lived at Sandpits Farm in Powick near Malvern, a long drive in every day!

Bill & Joan eventually gave up the markets and managed a pub on tbe Redditch - Alcester Road.
Barry & Jenny moved to Portugal and ran a meat business.

some nice pics here, Barry is on no 6

Back