• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Howell c1818

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Please can someone help me find George on the 1851 (and 1841) census?
I have him on 1861: RG9/2180/98/8 - born in Bidford on Avon.

Am also trying to find his marriage to Elizabeth, with no avail...........

Any help appreciated :biggrin:

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
I think this is your family. Although George says he was born in Broom, it is a part of Bidford. I find it hard to separate the two as some records say Broom and others say Bidford on Avon. I have ancestors who came to Birmingham from Bidford. In 1851 George and Elizabeth were not married. she gives her maiden name, which I think reads Bilingay, but their children are all named Howell. The young child, John relative called Billingay, possibly Elizabeths nephew? Elizabeth says that she was born in Badger Shropshire, as she did on the 1861 census and gives herr occupation as domestic.

Name:George Howell
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1817
Relation:Head
Where born:Broom, Warwickshire,
EnglandCivil parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Matthew
Street Address:6 Court Richard Street
Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district Duddeston
Household Members:
Name Age
George Howell 34
Elizabeth Belingay 30
Maryann Howell 11
Caroline Howel l9
Emma Howell 7
James Howell 6
John Billingay 3

Last edited:

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Thanks Di!
I'd found this one before, but had discarded it - I'd googled Broom, and it came up as a totally different county :rolleyes:.............

I think Elizabeth was what it says - the family domestic, but then stayed on..........

On Ancestry, I got a link up with another tree, showing George with a wife Jane, who died in 1848 - so I went to the 1841 census and have found him with Jane and daughter Mary in Factory Road, Birmingham.
So...I think the other kids born in the '40's also belong to Jane......

Now to try and find a marriage for George and Jane :smile2:

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hi Di,
Bit of a postscript here in case it's of interest to you....
George Howell b1818 is the GGGrandfather of Ronald - who married Laura Lorton, who's mother was Jessie Horton...........b1895.

I'm sure we've got a link between us somewhere....as I said, your photo blows my mind!!!

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
I wonder if there is a missing link.........

I saw George and Jane on the 1841, well done for sorting that out. The 1841 is so short on info, they could have been married anywhere. I'll also have a look .

Last edited: