• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Dixons Grammar School

Hi Terrypin,
Was he the maths master who made us do pretty little pictures with coloured in crayons of right angled triangles trying to demonstrate the pythagorus theorem ,talk about boring!
Bodge

Last edited:
Hi terrypin, Its just come back to me now.The maths master was I think a Mr Dutton.He did drill into us the basics of trig.
Toodlepip
Bodge

When we were in the 6th form,at lunchtime,we hated school dinners so we used to walk straight past the dining hall entrance and continue walking up City road,up to Bearwood,into Woolworths to buy a packet of biscuits with our dinner money then go and play bowls on the bowling green at bearwood park.We would the sneak back to scchool in time for afternoon lessons.Once we saw old Rumbo on City road but amazingly he didnt say anything, he was some way off!
Bodge

Old Summerton was a good teacher. He used to dictate the notes slowly so that we could all write it down.I did quite alright in Physics in spite of my doing Biology instead of A level maths.He used to sit right at the front upstairs on the Portland rd 7 bus, which was the one I used to take from the Council House square in the centre of Brum up to GD.I made sure I was wearing my school cap when he was on the bus!.He used to carry the most battered old briefcase. A real eccentric but quite friendly.
Bodge

Who was the chap who used to come in from outside to teach the violin .I will always be grateful to him.Im still playing it now.I left in 1957.I remember old Fletcher, he used to play the organ in the church next door and he assembled a brilliant school choir.I think we used to go into that church at least twic a week after morning assembly.We used to march out to his favourite piece of music, The toccata and fuge in D minor by Bach.Very rousing.It is a poignant reminder of GD every time I hear it!
Toodlepip.
Bodge

I think the violin tutor was a Mr Williams not to be confused with one of the masters with the same name. He also acted as the Leader in the school orchestra.

Cecil Fisher, who was the senior English master, conducted the school orchestra and composed music for school plays. Personally I think he was a better musician than Geoff Fletcher, the music master who in my recollection only taught us music theory once a year and spent all the other music lessons as hymn practice. Geoff Fletcher was also organist and choir master at St Martin's-in-the Bull Ring and used the school choir as a recruiting centre for the church choir. The combined school and church choir were good enough to have their own programme on BBC Radio one Christmas when they were billed as the Geoffrey Fletcher Singers.

I would have loved to have seen the school choir competing in the present day BBC School Choir of the year competition as I know they could have won it, especially singing 'Let us now praise Famous Men' which in my day was effectively the school song,
A not very good quality recording of the song by an American choir

Thanks for that David,
GD was a good musical school.It made for a good ethos and infiltrated into school life in many ways.I rememember the orchestra going up to Manchester to play in the famous Methodist
Great Hall in front of a large audience.We were all nervous but I think we did alright.Fisher conducted us there.Do you remember having a lesson once a week I think singing English folk songs in front of old Fletch? We played for the school production of Iolanthe and The Pirates of Penzance, Ive still got the old programme somewhere.
Bodge

Geoff Fletcher in my day never had us singing folk songs, the music lessons were always hymn practice except as I said once a year we either got a record of Dvorak's New World Symphony or a lecture on the history of music. Although there was a stack of records in the cupboard in Room 1, Dvorak was the only one I heard playing.

Wednesday morning Period 1 was the full school's hymn practice which would be lead by Geoff Fletcher with Ces Fisher taking over on the organ if we were in church or on the piano if we were in the school hall. If Ces Fisher was conducting the orchestra then Geoff 'Sandy' Sandercock, the history master would play the piano.

I remember both Iolanthe and The Pirates of Penzance as the annual school plays. I don't remember any of the years when we had straight plays. The Parents Association also put on an annual play for which the school orchestra played.

A few years ago, I had an occasion to attend a Sunday morning service in St Martin's. No choir, just a cantrix leading the singing and the organ had not been played since 2004. Geoff Fletcher must have been turning in his grave.

David
Blimey youve got a good memory! In the lecture theatre the door to the girls school I seem to remember was occasionly opened by one of the girls and one of the girls was shoved into the theatre by another girl accompanied by her protestations and laughter by the boys,who were listening to a lecture by the likes of Kipper or Wally!
Bodge

Yes technically the Lecture Theatre, which also doubled as a science class room was shared between the two schools but I think the boys school monopolised it. I think the lecture theatre was shared with both boys and girls sometimes after school hours for film shows but the only film I can remember seeing was of the Thomas Hardy novel The Mayor of Casterbridge but only because we were doing that book in English Litt.

Another musical connection at GD was Kipper Print (full name Harold Celestine Print) who was a past Chairman of West Bromwich Operatic Society. I liked old Kipper, whose chemistry lessons were usually quite entertaining. He was also very easily distracted - as he'd been in the RFC and RAF in WW1, all you had to do was put your hand up and ask him something like 'what engine was in the Sopwith Camel'....

G

I remember being shown the film in the lecture theatre of Henry V with Laurence Olivier,quite inspirational.During lunch break we used to sit around in the lecture theatre and there was one bloke who used to do A level maths problems as a hobby! He went on to get 98% in A level maths and a v good mark in Scholarship Level maths.He got the only State Scholarship
grant,the rest of us got City Majors in that year.I know he went to Birmingham University to the department of Mathematical Physics.Phew! Ive no idea where he is now, I would like to know.
Bodge

Another genius was a character in the year above us when we were in the 6th Form.
His name was Thompson,a good name for a potential scientist.He was very laid back,he used lounge against the wall and speak with a drawl! In those days it used to be the done thing to give the appearance of doing very little work and still getting good results in the finals.It used to drive Wally mad,he used to lambast us,trying to galvanise us into action!
Bodge

The school captain was in my year.He married a GD girl,Monica I think her name was.
Roy played rugby for the North Midlands as well as for the school.I met him and his wife about 25 years ago.He was awarded the CMG. for services to the Commonwealth.
Bodge

Last edited:
David
I have emailed the school to see if their archivist can unearth one which I can buy.
I phoned them up first. They were surprised and puzzled, but said send an email.
Bodge.

Hi grandslam03 and Terrypin.Sounds like you play bridge 03. Hi from Cranleigh!
Toodlepip
Bodge

Theres a story going about that the producer of Dixon of Dock Green went to GD.Hence the character George Dixon, the policeman played by Jack Warner.Can anybody confirm this?
Also a character called Oscar Deutch created the Odeon cinema chain, viz. Oscar Deutch Entertains Our Nation!?? He also supposedly went to GD.
Toodlepip,
Bodge

Sir Michael Balcon the film producer was educated at GD. There is a plaque on the school in City Road commemorating this fact. He is also recorded as playing in the first Rugby match between the school and the Old Dixonians. The original George Dixon character was killed in the film The Blue Lamp but the name was used again in the TV series.

Oscar Deutsch went to our arch rivals King Edwards Five Ways

Does anyone remember the school dance in the boys hall? I think they held it at the end of a Christmas termThey dimmed the lights down, so much you could hardly see across the room! What was the idea of this?! They had a record player and played Victor Silvester records.
Unfortunatly the girls and boys did not mix and I dont think anyone danced.perhaps one or two who knew each other. The experiment failed! Shame!
Bodge

No I don't remember any dances with the girls school but I do remember cutting up tomatoes for a party in the kitchen at the back of the hall using a cut-throat razor borrowed from the Biology Lab. The girls working with us were not best pleased.

Back in 2004 when the school was celebrating 100 years at City Road, I went back for an open day and walking along the corridor, I remembered that the next door on the left was the gym. When I got there I found it labelled 'Dance Studio'. I suppose that what comes of making the school co-ed.

I can confirm the visit of Sir Michael Balcon to GD in 1947/1948 as I was in the Form Room in the corridoor wing, Lower 1 or 2C, when he was introduced to my Form. The story then came out that he used the name George Dixon in the film and TV series Dixon of Dock Green.
A few years ago there was an open day for ex pupils to visit and revive old memories. Perhaps time for another one?

I certainly remember a 'music' night in the hall, when a number of the pupils performed on stage - a jazz group including a brilliant six former playing the clarinet (I think he was in the school orchestra - if I remember right he was handicapped and sat in a wheelchair), but he was just as at home playing Chris Barber melodies! Also a rock band and one of my classmates playing the trumpet. I don't remember whether the girls were invited, in fact I'm pretty sure they weren't. Anyway, I and a couple of my mates got turfed out for smoking in the hall! For us it was our last year at the school (1964) since we left after O levels and didn't go on to the sixth form.

An interesting forum I have discovered upon seeking news of old school chums. I attended the Boys' School between 1962-69. Numbers of staff mentioned are remembered with mixed views. Re the question of staff that attended as pupils, one such was Pat Hanks the Art Master. He had a disagreeable encounter at that time with the aptly named Trout which resulted in his denunciation as a 'Winson Green Gutter Snipe'. Trout was an extraordinary fellow. He 'borrowed' my copies of Mein Kampf and The Little Red Book of Mao Zedong (begun but never finished) they were never seen again; no comment!

Perhaps this related to an occurrence when Trout led a joint Scout/Duke of Edinburgh camp trip to the Malverns. Although camped on opposite sides of a deer park we were all attracted to the bellowing of a distraught master (said Trout) who had the misfortune to have been knocked into the latrine by some passing horses. Somewhat discommoded by this he took it upon himself to continue his daily ablutions in a near by inn. News soon spread that he had the additional misfortune to leave his scout belt and knife hanging on the back of the lavatory door. The other staff were amused by this and when a campfire song; 'Oh Dear what can the matter be, Trout left his belt on a hook in the lavatory' rang out at night around the Duke of Edinburgh campfire staff supervisors were sent for and suitably chastened; evening pub visits for staff were banned!

And so it fell to me to approach Mr Trout (staff hiding in the food tent Mr Madden, PE and Mr Ennis, jolly chap, with their jumper sleeves in mouths to stifle laughter) with the charitable news that the boys, on hearing of his loss, had a whip around and had come up with sixpence (date hint) in order that he may have six more visits to the inn lavatory and endeavour to lose his shirt. Oh Dear! However, from that day forth, irrespective of academic effort on my part, the staff room seemed favourably disposed toward me.

Attached a photo from 1968 I found on the web somewhere a number of years ago that shows a few peers.

Attachments

• GD1968.jpg
    GD1968.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 78
welcome to the forum amigo pedro hope you enjoy it...thanks for your memories of george dixons....smashing photo you have posted i wonder if any of our members are on it....

lyn

Nice to see the uniform with the old badge on it. I am surprised how dark the green blazer looks on a black & white photo. I never did get to like Trout although his good point was that he ran the school scout troop, 16th Birmingham. The fact that the scout troop had such a low number tells you something about the quality of the school in those days.

Hi, I was at GD Boys from 69 to 74; in forms 1A, 2F, 3F, 4F, & 5B1. I found this old school calender from the last term I was there if anyone is interested in the staff names etc. It still has my lessons timetable on the reverse and details of my 'O' level exams to sit!

View attachment 123499
Hello Bob D, thanks for sharing this, countless memories flooding back reading some of these names. I attended GD from 71-76. Remembering when we amalgamated ( don't think I ever use that word since) with the Girls Grammar school in 72. Hormones off the chart for a 12 year old boy. Teachers that I remembered include Mrs Madison who pushed me to go to Art School, alas my Dad thought it not such a good idea and that was that. Boulton,Eley,Fletcher Gough, J.Paul, Miss Stephenson ( who I must apologize to for my awful behavior which brought her to tears) Hanney, Trout and the quite brilliant Mr Long. Another teacher comes to mind but I not quite certain on this fellow, Mr Hyde, I recall, was the teacher from Liverpool, who I think taught French. He was a young teacher and a likeable man but left the school abruptly. There was no great explanation or reasons given out when it was announced by one of the head teachers at some form of assembly but those of us who witnessed his meltdown in class that day will never forget how he took his frustrations out on one particular student. Students I remember, Des Beehan ( who I've just shared this calender with) Gary Cole, Johnny MacGuire, Aki Meehan,Andy Rodgers, Barney the skinhead (cant remember if he had a 1st name, that's all we ever called him) John Green, Lee Harvey, Frank ( Boff) and some of the girls Lynn Steel, Gillian Martin, Susan Humphries ( she broke my heart) and countless others I can see but cant quite remember the names. Any info you have or other memories of George Dixon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Phil Curran

Who was the chap who used to come in from outside to teach the violin .I will always be grateful to him.Im still playing it now.I left in 1957.I remember old Fletcher, he used to play the organ in the church next door and he assembled a brilliant school choir.I think we used to go into that church at least twic a week after morning assembly.We used to march out to his favourite piece of music, The toccata and fuge in D minor by Bach.Very rousing.It is a poignant reminder of GD every time I hear it!
Toodlepip.
Bodge
Yes, Fletcher! I remember him well! Most famous saying.., " you dumber - headed lump of green blazered twerpery" Anyone remember being called that? Today the PC brigade would no doubt consider that child abuse!

Back