• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Dixons Grammar School

Hello Christine,
We must have been in the same year but I was in 1E - Miss Sowman's form. I remember all the teachers you mention, as well as Mr Colley, the only male teacher, who taught Latin, and was teased mercilessly. Do you remember (very rare) dancing in the hall on wet lunchtimes to an old Dansette? Big green knickers for PE and being allowed to take the top off the pinafore when the form teacher conceded you had "outgrown" it
Very happy memories for me from 1963-70. I went back with my husband some years ago, told the receptionist I had been head girl there (true), and was allowed to walk around (out of term-time). I found it hard to get my bearings as it had all changed so much - no more ante-hall etc - where you used to buy lunch tickets and there was a PE office, where you went when you felt unwell. All felt very different - no more honours boards around the old school hall - too elitist, I guess!

I have still got my GD tie and it must be 70 years old. When are they going to have another open day

My dad went to George Dixon's. He would have been there in the 40s I think. His name was John Mason. His best mate at school had the surname Savage, not sure of his first name though.

An image of the City Road Edgbaston site. (From Library of Birmingham Archives). Viv.

image.jpeg
Edit. As per #150 below :
There is actually an error in the caption as the school started in the 1880s in Bridge Street in a former Cadbury's factory before moving to Oozells Street.

Last edited:
I just found the forum last night, but recognise some teacher/student names that have been mentioned.
I was there from 1963 until 1971 - started off in Miss Dyer's class 1D, when the forms were called after the teacher's name. Miss Organ was the headteacher, closely followed by Miss Orr, when Miss Organ became ill.
Miss Barber was the music teacher
Miss Davis taught English
Mrs Parkinson taught German
Mrs McColl taught maths
We had to do DS & needlework unless you opted to do German in the 2nd year !
We did have a reunion in Birmingham many years ago, but I only keep in touch with one friend from those days - Christine Lilley.
Have great memories of doing a Gilbert & Sullivan "Ruddigore" in 1971 with the boys school.
Very happy memories ! Can anyone remember them ?

Hi Christine,

I posted a reply some time ago, but incorrectly, so that it appears later in this thread. I think we must have been in the same fo.rm. I was there 1963-70

Hi there
I've just found Brummy babby's reply from July - so sorry ! Yes - we must have been there at the same time - there were several girls in 1E that I remember : Penny Cleaver being one of them. Your surname must have been A to G, because 1D started at H.
We did have a reunion about 20 years ago in Birmingham - did you go to that ? It was organised by Sally Hyde.
I still have my straw boater - remember those ?!
I'll see if you reply to this before writing any more obscure memories !

Hi there
I've just found Brummy babby's reply from July - so sorry ! Yes - we must have been there at the same time - there were several girls in 1E that I remember : Penny Cleaver being one of them. Your surname must have been A to G, because 1D started at H.
We did have a reunion about 20 years ago in Birmingham - did you go to that ? It was organised by Sally Hyde.
I still have my straw boater - remember those ?!
I'll see if you reply to this before writing any more obscure memories !

Indeed it was - I was Cynthia Cottrell - does that ring a bell? I remember Penny Cleaver, Noelle Bott, Pamela Forrest, Diane Crocombe - and so many others! Good to hear from you!

An image of the City Road Edgbaston site. (From Library of Birmingham Archives). Viv.

View attachment 119404

Thanks for that photo Viv. Actually I found a copy of it earlier this year in Staffordshire Archives (no idea why it was there as that area was never in Staffs).

There is actually an error in the caption as the school started in the 1880s in Bridge Street in a former Cadbury's factory before moving to Oozells Street.

Since we celebrate on Christmas Eve here in France, I'll get my Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year to everyone on here before the feasting starts! Alors, Bonnes Fêtes to everyone! Atlantic Oysters, Salade Landaise and Roast Goose on the menu!

I went to George Dixon Grammar School. I started September 1974. I was in form 1D and Miss Holmes was our form tutor - she looked like something out of The Avengers - Emma Peel : she also took us for geography.
I remember Mr.Hanney - I did Spanish with him - a great teacher. Mr.Lucas was the other Spanish teacher, equally good. If my memory serves me well our headmaster was Mr.Mends ? The deputy head was either a Mrs.Jewkes or a very tall gentleman (bald) called Mr.Gibson. Mrs.Chatwin taught us French. I was captain of the rugby team. Great school, a superb grammar school which vied with the King Edwards etc. We were proud of our green and red, so distinctive, and we were proud of strenue agas - our badge and motto. I was so saddened to hear what became of the school decades later - "international School/Academy" etc. Like others quite correctly said above, it is not the same school : the original fibre has been consigned to the history books of Birmingham.

Guess what I got for Christmas. A present from my sister, also ex GD.
DSCN3644.JPG

A biography of George Dixon written by his great great grandson

Hi, I was at GD Boys from 69 to 74; in forms 1A, 2F, 3F, 4F, & 5B1. I found this old school calender from the last term I was there if anyone is interested in the staff names etc. It still has my lessons timetable on the reverse and details of my 'O' level exams to sit!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back