• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Dixons Grammar School

I was at City Road 1st, 3rd and 4th years, with 2nd and 5th at Five Ways.
Rumsey was a very good head. I can still hear Walkers footsteps as he came out to the inter joining single story buildings where we 'fags' were housed for our first year, and I can still feel the silence which came over the place as he approached. Pity he didn't stay, the place became a lot worse as a school when that discipline wasn't around. Was it Dilworth that took over from him?

Hi Lewis,

I was at GD from '57 to '63, like you at City Road until the 4th year, then 'transported' to Five Ways, which didn't have the same atmos. Wally Walker was indeed a holy terror, but he had a kind side to him, which not many saw. We could do with a few Wally Walkers today...

Dilworth was deputy beak in charge at Five Ways. He had terrible diction, and I could never understand much of what he said, which just infuriated him. But he wasn't a bad old stick, just terribly out of touch with the times (but weren't most of the teachers back then?)

My favourite master was 'Toffee' Sharp (who eventually became deputy beak, I believe). He taught English, the only subject I was any good at.
Toffee thought the sun shone out of my bottom, and told me repeatedly to make every effort to get into journalism. I didn't, and I regret it - my dad had other ideas for my future... Toffee used to read passages from great literary works, and he was so good he could keep a class of 32 hormone-developing rock 'n' roll crazy teenagers enthralled and in total silence. I could tell lots of good stories about Toffee, but maybe not here.

Do you remember a physics 'teacher' (inverted commas deliberate) called Chadwick?

Big Gee

Jeff:

As I recall you were a fine athlete. I think this story has to be about you. You were batting for the school in a cricket match and Cecil Fisher (the English language teacher) was one of the umpires. You pushed a shot into mid-field,and called to the non-striking batsman, "Run - quick." Mr. Fisher boomed out, "No, Holloway, "Quickly.'" You hesitated a moment and completed the run.

I think you were completely clear in your use of English. Mr. Fisher was being his helpful self and nearly got you run out, but I think it stunned the fielding team, too.

Didn't you run for GD on the Athletics team? I think we ran the 100 yards v. Five Ways GS together.

I have lived in the States since 1970, now in Utah. Somewhere, I have a photograph of the Athletics team and think you are in it. If you'd like a copy contact me at [email protected]

Did you keep involved with sports in Australia? Where do you live?

Very best wishes,

Richard Davies (1954-1959)

• Appreciate
Reactions: DPD
I was at Five Ways from 1958-1964, lots of fun playing soccer and cricket in the yard. "Wally" was a character with his sayings like "the ball's in your court", "in the main" "so to speak".

I've only just discovered this thread concerning GD and intrigued to perhaps meet up with old colleagues. I was there from 1960-1967 and was wondering if any reunions had ever occurred for past pupile of that era or if any are planned in the future. I too remember many of the teachers for both good and bad reasons. Are any of that vintage still with us? For some peculiar reason I was called Arnie or Arnold at school-it being my third christian name Anybody out there who remembers me perhaps get in touch. BW
Robert H. Arnold Coutts

On the edge of the city mid meadows green
The towers of the school to the north are seen
Sturdy it stands neath a wintry sky
Unmoved by the winds as they whistle by
The home of the Red and Green

Strenue Agas be it dark or bright
A friend to help or a wrong to right
This motto shall live in the hearts of all
Who worked or played in the old school hall

And all who were e're in the school enrolled
Shall its name and its fame for ever uphold

Hi Arnie, I likewise came across this thread by chance when I was searching for a picture of Five Ways (before the school was demolished by the Council, aided by form 5B). If I remember correctly we both did A Level Physics with Les Somerton (an inspiring teacher whose metal corsets used to interfere with any sensitive experiments involving magnetism). Did you also do Chemistry with (Penguin) Siddle? I am still in touch with several ex inmates of GD.. Jonathan Wickens (I saw him last week), Bob Board (who now lives the the Loire), Ian Pulford (Glasgow Uni) and Richard Hemus (lives up north). Jonathan is in touch with several others (including George Moffa). As far as I know there haven't been any reunions for our year. My brother Richard went to GD in 1965 and his year have met up recently. I live in Cambridgeshire now and work in Peterborough. I'm going to be in (central) Birmingham next Tuesday evening, if you want to meet up. Best wishes, George

Just joined and found this thread. I was at GD from 1963 to 1968. First year we were Miss Sowman's class 1E. Most vivid memories are Miss McColl for maths who was wonderful; Mr Colley for latin who was a novelty as the only male teacher at the time. Had some wonderful times there. Remember being in the school choir and winning the Bournville Schools' Choir competition. Swimming at Harbourne baths - so cold and I still can't swim! Happy days11

Hello.
I was there the very same years, '59 to '64. I did the first and last year at City Road with the years in the middle being spent obviously at Five Ways. On my last day I hopped aboard the outer circle, went home, and, save for a couple of blokes, I never saw any classmates again. Sadly, one of the lads I did keep in touch with, Alan Harper, passed away last year. Another I've seen out and about, Phil Mould, is now a prominent Redditch councillor and I think it was Phil who told me that Keith Rollason had also passed. Anyone wants to say 'hello', and please do, Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: DPD
Hello. I've just sent a message intended for you but I think I sent it to another old GD chap. ( I always mess up with these damned computers!) Anyway I was there '59 to '64 at City Road and Five Ways. Please feel free to make contact and we'll maybe swap a few stories. It is [email address removed by moderator - please contact by Instant Messaging]
Take care!! Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:
I started at George Dixons Girls in 1965 and Miss Organ was still head then with Miss Nash as deputy

RE: GD Have just found your message. I started G.D.'s in 1954 and had to leave in 1957 when my family moved to London. Miss Organ was headmistress, Miss Mason our English teacher. Miss Hobb (domestic science) was much admired with her smart attire. Miss Firth (German) wasn't so popular. I can't remember any more names.
I havelived in Germany since 1961.
Best wishes,
Norma Lahmeyer

The thread's nearly 5 years old now but just in case... I was at GD 1952-1958.

I'm trying to recall our maths teacher's name - anyone?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Although I have been a member of the forum for sometime I had never thought to look up this thread until I Googled George Dixon to look up some historical fact. I was at GD 1955-60 successively in forms 1D,2C,3B,4B,5B. All my time was spent at City Road but in my last year I made several trips to Five Ways officially on school business (which I never explained) drawing my bus fare from the office. I left at the age of 16 not having at that time any intention to go to university. However three years later I needed some A levels to do a university course which I did by private study but asking permission to return to the school to take the exams.

There have been several mentions of a school song on this thread. I think that was the Girls School song. At the Boys School we never knew in my time of a school song but one day on my ventures to Five Ways, I was in the library and discovered that there had been a school song which had died out by my time. However some years later when I applied for a job with a local company, the personnel manager, who turned out to be an Old Dixonian, challenged me to sing the school song with him and of course I couldn't. I didn't get that job.

Last edited:
Hi Doc and all you other Dixoldians,
I have only recently found this site but the names of teachers are very familiar.I was at G.D.from 1949 until 1955 and actually lived next door to Miss Sales,of Biological fame,in Hallewell Road.Mr.Noakes was my housemaster,blue badge Normans,And Mr.Sandercock,Mr.Alexander, 'Bant' the raver in the Nissen hut classroom where we threw rubber bands on the stove,'Chunky' Brookes our art teacher,and the most erudite Mr Fisher my English inspiration,to mention just a few.I played rugby in the 3rd,2nd and 1st teams,our biggest game was always v. Bishop's Vesey for whom John Young was my opposing winger! He went on to sprint and play rugby for England.I will confess,here and now, I was the person sent to see 'Piggy'Walker for releasing a balloon at the final assembly.He, happily for me, accepted my explanation that said balloon was passed along to me and knocked out of my hands by person or persons unknown, and I escaped with a caution.Hoping to read something from one of my contemporaries--yours Kespod
My name is Bob Brookes (I inherited the Chunky nickname from my mentor) and was at school from 1952 until 1960 and was also in the Normans. I think that Mr Dilworth was the housemaster during my time. I remember Miss Sales well,she banned "Hairy Hinds,in my class from her lessons because of his uncouth behaviour! I also played rugby for the school, loosing six teeth in collision with the boot of an under eighteen Welsh centre who played for Saltley Grammar(those were the days when we dropped on a loose ball!)but,as a hooker my prime job was to collapse the scrum on a lost ball. I do remember John Young both as an exceptional schoolboy athlete he would have given even Jonah Lomu a good test.
We were fortunate to have Mike Reynolds to look up to, a good centre and a very good four hundred metre runner in the inter-school sports.Re Piggy Walker, do you remember his insistence on walking along City Road to the dinning hall and hiding behind one of the trees en route to catch the rule breakers, I often wondered if he realised his belly protruded beyond the girth of the trees?

Hi Bob. Just to remind those who don't remember, Chunky Brookes was the art master at GD. I was never any good at art but I do remember him once praising my perspective which I did get right when I was trying to draw the inside of an amusement arcade. Otherwise I was rubbish at art. In about 1957 the entire school was redecorated and Chunky was put in charge of the colour chart so every room was a different colour rather than standard Birmingham Corporation colours. Chunky was also in charge of the model railway club and there were cheers in assembly one morning at an end of term when he announced that they would be running trains that afternoon rather than doing more rebuilding of the layout.

Miss Sales never taught us but she did stand in for a master who was away ill one day and we automatically greeted her with "Good Morning, SIR" then burst out laughing.

Hi Janet,
I started in 1953 in form 1B. The form master was Mr Wragg who taught French. I had a crush on a girl in the girl's school, her name was Norma Pugh.
calcbird

Only just joined this website, Janet, but I also started G D in 1953, the boys' side obviously. My 'girlfriend' for a while was a girl called Carol, who lived in Winson Green. Cannot remember her surname, but she would have been in the same year group as you and me. Seems a very long time ago now.

Hi, Calcbird. I also started in 1953, form 1A, down to form 1B for one term then back up to 1A. Think our form master was Mr Dare, who taught English. I can recall the little ditty 'How Dare Wagg Gamble' for the teachers' surnames. Polly Worthington taught maths and Geoffrey Fletcher was music. He was also in charge of music at St Martins in the Bullring.
Hi Janet,
I started in 1953 in form 1B. The form master was Mr Wragg who taught French. I had a crush on a girl in the girl's school, her name was Norma Pugh.
calcbird

Back