• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Dixons Grammar School

When I was at GD in the late 1950s boxing was an optional after school activity never part of PE. But even then I think there was the start of of a feeling that it was not an appropriate sport.

Guess what I got for Christmas. A present from my sister, also ex GD.
View attachment 121719

A biography of George Dixon written by his great great grandson
Thats interesting as I worked for George Dixon (jnr) in Selly Oak - Rabone Petersen and Co Ltd. He had a photo of his father in his office. At the time of his retirement the unions were coming to the fore and as he was anti union so we were told that if the union was brought in he would sell the company name only but if the union didnt come in he would sell the company - which he did to a merchant bank and we all moved to Neville House, Five Ways.

I look at that calendar and remember many of the teachers. Mr.Hanney taught me Spanish (got my Spanish O'Level thanks to him) ; Madame Barsoux taught us French as did Mrs.Chatwin ; Miss Holmes was my form tutor (1D) and taught us geography - I will NEVER forget her first words to us in class first day at GD September 1974 - 'Form 1D remember you are at George Dixon Grammar School - you are therefore better than the rest so the school expects from you !' I thought 'Bloody hell ! We've had it now !" Big Mr."Daddy' Giblin took us for rugby (think he taught 1F geography ?) Mrs.Hall taught us biology - a big, ginger haired lady ? We never played up in her lesson for fear of being crushed like walnuts ! Mr.Sandercock taught us history - we did the English civil war in great detail with him; Mends, Jewkes and Gibson were the top three. Mr.Mends caned us a few times but that was nothing compared to the fear of seeing the black cloaks of Mr.Gibson and Mrs.Jewkes flying down the corridor like a pair of vampires on the war path ! Ha! Ha! Ha! It was a great school though - we were mischievous but WE WERE EDUCATED, WE LEARNED AND COME WINTER COME SUMMER WE WERE OUT KEEPING FIT - all of us did sports - sports day was massive - I was captain of the rugby team till about the 3rd/4th year. We did cross country down at Edgbaston reservoir. GD set me up for life - hard work brings results - that's what it taught us. I shudder when I see what became of that once, great school.

You must have started GD the same day as me; my 1st form tutor was Mr Noone, a Quaker I think. I particularly recall Mr Swain, Welsh PE/Rugby master who played for Moseley, Mr Paul who taught Technical Drawing, and Mrs Cutler, my favourite Geography teacher. I was one of the very few who left at the end of the 5th form (got 7 'O' levels though) to make my way in the world. I've recently taken an early retirement deal after over 40 years in the Civil Service. You are absolutely correct when you say that the GD education was a huge part in our formative years. (mostly) Happy Days.

Welcome Bob. Enjoy your retirement. This Forum keeps many of us busy, so do keep posting. Viv.

Big Mr."Daddy' Giblin took us for rugby (think he taught 1F geography ?) ; Mends, Jewkes and Gibson were the top three. ... the fear of seeing the black cloaks of Mr.Gibson and Mrs.Jewkes flying down the corridor like a pair of vampires on the war path ! Ha! Ha! Ha! It was a great school though - we were mischievous but WE WERE EDUCATED, WE LEARNED AND COME WINTER COME SUMMER WE WERE OUT KEEPING FIT - all of us did sports - sports day was massive - I was captain of the rugby team till about the 3rd/4th year. We did cross country down at Edgbaston reservoir. GD set me up for life - hard work brings results - that's what it taught us.

Mr Giblin, not Gibson. I hated sports, cross country at Edgbaston reservoir nearly killed me every time.

I shudder when I see what became of that once, great school.

I absolutely agree with you there.

Lloyd,

You must have been a boy after my own heart as I hated sports and cross country too. It's been fascinating to read this thread from end to end, though I was a Moseley Grammar School pupil myself from 1947-53. Whilst we have our own website and twice-yearly magazine, I don't think we have sufficient members on BHF to justify a separate thread, and if we did, much of it would be a repetition of material that can be found on the two sources mentioned.

But it's given me much pleasure to read about GD - keep up the memories.

Maurice :)

Carolynn,

I remember a pal of mine, ‘Derek’ , roughly during that period, but the surname that comes to mind was ‘Acock’, not Taylor. Just in case I’m wrong, did your brother ride a Vincent 1000 motor bike to school in the later years?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Viv,

Thanks for reminding me of that attempt to start one. However, it never came to anything as there was no one from Moseley Grammar and only three, who attended the Secondary at differing times. The Secondary has now been demolished and the Grammar is now a very much extended Language School, so I think I will let sleeping dogs lie!

Maurice :)

When I was at GD cross country was Lightwoods Park and twice round Warley Woods. never did that as I would have been tempted to run home as I lived by Warley Woods.

Carolynn,

I remember a pal of mine, ‘Derek’ , roughly during that period, but the surname that comes to mind was ‘Acock’, not Taylor. Just in case I’m wrong, did your brother ride a Vincent 1000 motor bike to school in the later years?

No sorry he didnt ride a motor bike.

My mum Sheila Ovens went to George Dixons. Not sure what years she was there though. Would love to know if any one who went there knew her.

I haven't been on this forum for years but have just found it again. You have brought back some memories by mentioning those names. Yes, you are right about Miss Saul. She spent ages trying to instill some mathematical knowledge into me. Someone mentioned that Miss Ore became head after Miss Organ. Do you know anything about that? Do you remember Miss Barber, a wonderful music teacher? Do you remember Miss Whelan who became Mrs Fox? Who with Miss Mason and Miss Gray took a group of us to Paris and the French Alps in 1956 on a bi-lingual camp with a group of girls from Evreux. I think it included Monica Elton and Suzanne Gooden whom you mentioned.
In my class there were Judith Wilson. Mary Willetts, Joy Williams, Andrea Williams and me, Janet Williams but my nickname was Fuzzy because of my unruly hair. I would love to know what happened to Mary Willetts. She left GD after two or three years as her family moved to Oxford. I went to stay with her there once and we corresponded for some years but eventually lost touch. I left Birmingham fifty three years ago.
I haven't been on this forum for years but have just found it again. You have brought back some memories by mentioning those names. Yes, you are right about Miss Saul. She spent ages trying to instill some mathematical knowledge into me. Someone mentioned that Miss Ore became head after Miss Organ. Do you know anything about that? Do you remember Miss Barber, a wonderful music teacher? Do you remember Miss Whelan who became Mrs Fox? Who with Miss Mason and Miss Gray took a group of us to Paris and the French Alps in 1956 on a bi-lingual camp with a group of girls from Evreux. I think it included Monica Elton and Suzanne Gooden whom you mentioned.
In my class there were Judith Wilson. Mary Willetts, Joy Williams, Andrea Williams and me, Janet Williams but my nickname was Fuzzy because of my unruly hair. I would love to know what happened to Mary Willetts. She left GD after two or three years as her family moved to Oxford. I went to stay with her there once and we corresponded for some years but eventually lost touch. I left Birmingham fifty three years ago.

Janet,
Just got onto this site, not very up to date with my iPad and it’s capabilities!
I am Gillian Richards and was in the group with you in Vallouise. Lots of nostalgia when smelling hay
and fresh coffee which we sometimes ate with French bread ( no butter! ) and dark chocolate squares. Do you remember? Other teachers I recall were Mrs Sweet ( art ) and Mrs Whitehead
(English) who used to enact Lady Macbeth with wringing hands.
I can recall every single name in the “ b” group but have only come across June Poynten,
Judy Wilson, Gina Knight and Nesta Clarke , the latter two at Cadbury’s as juniors.

I think maybe you may have met my mother too- she worked in the baby/wool shop by the bus stop
on Linden Road Selly Oak, and I think your mum might have shopped there.

I am so pleased to find someone from the old class, ogling at the boys through the window, being permitted to push desks back to dance to our music- ( I think we may have been pioneers for this activity! ).etc.. Barbara Sherwood taught me the Square Tango!

Hope you see this soon, I would love to find out more.

Strenue agas be it dark or bright
A friend to help or a wrong to right
This motto shall live in the hearts of all
Who worked or played in the old school halloo9op
The home of the red and green

Yes I remember Mrs Chatwin, a very cheerful lady. Mrs Fox taught French but she left during the time I was there to start a family. She may have begun teaching there the year I started at the school. She took us on a wonderful bi-lingual camping holiday with about twenty French girls to a village called Vallouise in the French Alps.
What about Miss Mason who taught English. A lot of our teachers were middle aged single ladies. There probably weren't any men for them to marry in the years after WW1
Janet
Hi Jeff remember me, Bill Walkey from GD. I certainly remember you, you were such a big guy and good at sports and rugby etc.
I moved to Canada in 1965 after working at Cadbury's in Bourneville, but moved to Australia in 2004, currently living near Adelaide. I only have pics from the annual, but understand the government took away the Grammar School status with the "comprehensive" change in schooling.
Would love to catch up. Where are you living and how long have you been in Oz.
I tell lots of people about Mr Walker and his discipline.

Keep in touch -
Hi Jeff remember me, Bill Walkey from GD. I certainly remember you, you were such a big guy and good at sports and rugby etc.
I moved to Canada in 1965 after working at Cadbury's in Bourneville, but moved to Australia in 2004, currently living near Adelaide. I only have pics from the annual, but understand the government took away the Grammar School status with the "comprehensive" change in schooling.
Would love to catch up. Where are you living and how long have you been in Oz.
I tell lots of people about Mr Walker and his discipline.

Keep in touch -

The thread's nearly 5 years old now but just in case... I was at GD 1952-1958.

I'm trying to recall our maths teacher's name - anyone?

--
I too was at GD but from 1946-1952. Note Terry you live in East Grinstead so “Hello” from Horsham!!
Recently received a speculative letter from Australia from another O. Dixonian, Dave Allen, who was in my form and now lives in Sydney
Teachers in my years were “Moss” Mullett (English) Mr Rumsby (Head) “Piggy” Walker 2 i/c and Mr Varley.
Don C.

Hi I went to GD from 1951 to1957.I was in the 6th form Science for the last 3 years Wally Walker was our Chemistry teacher.He used to wrap his gown round himself and often say Im not only here to teach you Chemistry and he would come out with some homespun bit of philosphy.He was always going on about Oxbridge and the Tripos scholarships but no one ever went!
Does anyone ever remember the chemistry demo. with mercury when the stuff brke out through the bottom of the glass flask and was splattered all over the lecture theatre floor.Great hilarity all round except for Wally andKipper.
Bodge

Last edited:
Hi Bodge and welcome. We partially overlap as I was there 1955 to 1960.
I was thinking of mercury the other day and how people now avoid it as a toxic substance. I remember science masters demonstrating to us how to make a barometer by filling a glass tube with mercury, then inverting the mercury tube with a finger over the open end and lowering it into a bowl of mercury. Then clamping the tube on a vertical stand with a metric ruler. This meant that they were in physical contact with a dangerous element. Bet they do not do that today.

When you say that no one ever went to Oxbridge, I thought that was why the school captain had an extra year in the sixth form to groom him to get into Oxford.

Hi Bodge and welcome. We partially overlap as I was there 1955 to 1960.
I was thinking of mercury the other day and how people now avoid it as a toxic substance. I remember science masters demonstrating to us how to make a barometer by filling a glass tube with mercury, then inverting the mercury tube with a finger over the open end and lowering it into a bowl of mercury. Then clamping the tube on a vertical stand with a metric ruler. This meant that they were in physical contact with a dangerous element. Bet they do not do that today.

When you say that no one ever went to Oxbridge, I thought that was why the school captain had an extra year in the sixth form to groom him to get into Oxford.
Hi David Thanks for your reply. The school captain went to
Birmingham University to do Chem. Eng.Ther was only one pupil cant remember his name, who tried for Oxbridge but he had several goes at latin,which was obligatory even if you did Sciences but failed each time.
Toodlepip,
Bodge

Thanks for your welcome.I think the h and s
boys would have a field day with that demo!
he did in fact go to Imperial College to study Chem Eng. I only know one boy who tried to get in to Oxbridge but failed the latin which you needed to get in, even for Science.
Toodlepip
Bodge

Last edited:
Back