• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Dixon Grammar School for Girls

Anyone out there from the 1949 to 1954 time slot who went to G.D.? I'm looking for old school friends to correspond with. I'm in Phoenix, AZ, USA - have been since 1964. (Pam) Alex Middleton-Dunshee.

Alex, sorry no girls, but my brother was at the GD Boys school the same time as you. I have a cousin the same age as my brother and she lived by the school, but I am not sure whether she went there. Elaine Ventham was her name.

Alex, sorry no girls, but my brother was at the GD Boys school the same time as you. I have a cousin the same age as my brother and she lived by the school, but I am not sure whether she went there. Elaine Ventham was her name.

Hi Carolina

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the boys and girls schools, although next door to each other, were kept pretty much seperated, so I didn't know any of the boys. My brother, Ed (Ted) Middleton was there a couple of years before me, so maybe he knew your brother, or knew of him.

As for Elaine Ventham, I don't recall that name. She may have gone to the school, but I was in the "C" stream and there were also "A" and "B" streams.

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to our forum. Have you looked at the Friends Reunited website? If not it might be worth trying on there too.

Hi Pollypops

Thanks. That's where I started my search and found one friend.

I love the picture of your cat. I have a cat too, and I love her - in fact I love all cats.

Alex

I don't know anyone who was there after I left in 1954. I went to work right away after that and didn't keep in contact with any school friends. All my friends would have left by 1956 even if they went all the way to the 6th form.

Dear Pam ( Alex),
I came across your message today. From 1953 to 1957 I was a pupil at G.D.'s. I have happy memories of my schooldays there - a large circle of friends, large playing fields, sports days - it all came to an end when my family moved to London where I completed my schooling. Unfortunately I don't have any contact with my old schoolfriends. The only teacher's name I can remember is Miss Mason (English) and I think our German teacher's name was Firth.- Oh yes, and MIss Hobb's ( needlework) who was much admired by us girls for her smart attire.

I have lived in the South of Germany since 1962. I know the States quite well as I was married to An American from South Texas for 16 years.
My maiden name is Pugh, by the way, Norma Pugh. I was friends with Jeanette Jones, Eta Brookes, - I can't remember the surnames of other friends.

I'd be interested to hear from you.
With best wishes,

Norma (Lahmeyer)

My sister in law Carole Wallis went there in about 56 onward.
Is your sister in law Carol Wallis the same person who was my bridesmaid in March 1967, if so I would love to hear from her especially as our Golden Wedding Anniversary is the year after next?

Hi does anyone know my sister Kalavati Chauhan she was at the school from 1967 She passed away in 1976 i want to get the school photo taken in 1970 but having an issue identifying her. She is the one on the right with the long hair. In the school photo i am told she is the one in the centre?

Yes I knew Kalavati she was in my class at school. She was such a lovely girl and I was shocked by the tragedy of her death. I will look at my old photos to see if I can find the one you are looking for.

Hi Gill thank you for contacting me I am hoping to buy the year photo from 1970. In the sample sent to me by Gillman & Soame. She looks different but she was probably having chemo so a change in appearance would be expected.

Attachments

• DD214198-7177-4B95-8E94-89EC51124DE6.jpeg
    DD214198-7177-4B95-8E94-89EC51124DE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 08182866-92D8-4D0C-B032-6A27A3547008.jpeg
    08182866-92D8-4D0C-B032-6A27A3547008.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
I recognise a couple of girls in the school photo. I started GD in 1965. Miss Eddy was our form tutor hence we were 1E.
I'll have a look if I have a photo of our class

Hi does anyone know my sister Kalavati Chauhan she was at the school from 1967 She passed away in 1976 i want to get the school photo taken in 1970 but having an issue identifying her. She is the one on the right with the long hair. In the school photo i am told she is the one in the centre?

View attachment 133460View attachment 133461
Hi .Yes I knew Kalavati > She was in my class at GD and a good friend of mine . The girl in the picture to the left of the little girl was Suman Ratti who was also a friend of your sister and in our year .
The school photo you have above , do you have the bottom half of it please .
I have attached a photo I have found which shows I believe your sister next to Suman , next is our form teacher Gill Bateman and next is me Theresa Borg . Hope this helps .

Attachments

• Picture14.jpg
    Picture14.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi .Yes I knew Kalavati > She was in my class at GD and a good friend of mine . The girl in the picture to the left of the little girl was Suman Ratti who was also a friend of your sister and in our year .
The school photo you have above , do you have the bottom half of it please .
I have attached a photo I have found which shows I believe your sister next to Suman , next is our form teacher Gill Bateman and next is me Theresa Borg . Hope this helps .

Hello Theresa thank you for replying it is so good to hear you knew my sister. We have been in contact with Suman but I believe they had a falling out and and Suman was not keen to talk. I have attached the link to see the full photo but I am struggling to see my sister in it. My older brother said she is the one in the photo below the top row. But as she was having radiation her jaw was damaged. I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you again for the response.
I have opened the image on the laptop and it looks better there. I look forward to your reply.
Regards
Bhupendra Chauhan
https://www.myschoolphoto.org/status/?id=W1898911&pass=518340

Hello Theresa thank you for replying it is so good to hear you knew my sister. We have been in contact with Suman but I believe they had a falling out and and Suman was not keen to talk. I have attached the link to see the full photo but I am struggling to see my sister in it. My older brother said she is the one in the photo below the top row. But as she was having radiation her jaw was damaged. I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you again for the response.
I have opened the image on the laptop and it looks better there. I look forward to your reply.
Regards
Bhupendra Chauhan
https://www.myschoolphoto.org/status/?id=W1898911&pass=518340

Hi . I have tried to open the link for the photo but nothing is coming up . Do you want to try and send again please .

Hello please find email sent to me this should work.

Dear Mr Chauhan,

Your preview image has now been created and you can view and order the photograph online using the following details.

www.gillmanandsoame.co.uk

Login: A43796

Password: 736709

Sorry to hear about Susan . Thank you . I have managed to open it . Do you mean the girl on the right , second row . If so I don’t think so but can‘t be sure I’m afraid . I don’t have any photos of us earlier at school I’m afraid . Do you not have any of her when she was younger ?

Good evening Ashtya .
I have had a look at the photo again on my big screen .
Yes I think that your brother is correct and Kalavati is the girl in the second row in the middle of the picture . It would be good if you could get more group school photo's so that you could compare it with the one I sent you when I believe we were in year 5 .

Good evening Ashtya .
I have had a look at the photo again on my big screen .
Yes I think that your brother is correct and Kalavati is the girl in the second row in the middle of the picture . It would be good if you could get more group school photo's so that you could compare it with the one I sent you when I believe we were in year 5 .

Thank you BarnesHill
Appreciate your opinion as I was keen to order the photo. She had so many friends that lost contact, there was Nishi, Vabuti and Nisha. It would be great to contact them but a big task are you still in The UK?
Regards
Bhupen

Back