• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Daniel Dauncey

Jules65

master brummie
I wasn't sure where to post this query, so if it is in the wrong place I apologise.

I have a George Daniel Dauncey born 18th April 1891. His father Alfred died in 1908 and his mother Clara Jackson in 1895. I have searched the 1911 census and have been unable to find anything for George.

I am wondering that if he was serving abroad in the army - could this be a possible reason for him being missing from the 1911 census? Other than the 1911 census is there anyway of finding him. I have him in 1915 when he married Violet Mason. I know he served in WW1 but is there anyway of finding out if he was in the forces before war broke out?

Any help/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a George Dauncey in 1920 and a George Daniel Dauncey (presumably the same) in 1925 , both at 4 Church cottages, St Georges place in the electoral roll. No other Daniels in that period, but a George Dauncey, pnr , 1st Staffs Regiment is registered in 1918 at 2 court 28, Great Hampton row. Only George Daunceys in 1912 were wrong middle names.
Mjike

Jules65

master brummie
There is a George Dauncey in 1920 and a George Daniel Dauncey (presumably the same) in 1925 , both at 4 Church cottages, St Georges place in the electoral roll. No other Daniels in that period, but a George Dauncey, pnr , 1st Staffs Regiment is registered in 1918 at 2 court 28, Great Hampton row. Only George Daunceys in 1912 were wrong middle names.
Mjike
Thanks Mikejee. It is my George Daniel Dauncey at 4 Church Cottages and also at 2 court 28, Great Hampton Row. I wish I had asked my dad more when he was alive. I am sure he told me that his father had served in the army when he was still just a boy. Possibly in Africa/South Africa.

Christine in Herts

proper brummie kid
There's a medal card for a George D DAUNCEY, but it doesn't say much more than his name, rank (Pte) and number (8339) - and that he was in the S Staffs Regt.

Christine

Jules65

master brummie
There's a medal card for a George D DAUNCEY, but it doesn't say much more than his name, rank (Pte) and number (8339) - and that he was in the S Staffs Regt.

Christine
Thanks Christine - yes I have a copy of his medal card. I'm just at a loss to know where he was in 1911 as I cannot find him on this census. I have him on the 1901 census. Family legend has it that he served in Africa. I also wonder why he joined the South Staffs Regiment when he was born and lived in Birmingham.

Christine in Herts

proper brummie kid
Thanks Christine - yes I have a copy of his medal card. I'm just at a loss to know where he was in 1911 as I cannot find him on this census. I have him on the 1901 census. Family legend has it that he served in Africa. I also wonder why he joined the South Staffs Regiment when he was born and lived in Birmingham.
South Staffs and Birmingham are much closer than Southampton (where my grandfather lived) and Yorkshire - the regiment he joined. The army didn't always match people up geographically.

This link might lead you somewhere useful:
https://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.html
It might give an indication of where the South Staffs Regiment was deployed at the time.
Or you might find the Regimental museum curator can get you a copy of the Regimental Diary for the period:
https://www.armymuseums.org.uk/
I don't know how reliable this Wikipedia article is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_South_Staffordshire_Regiment
It looks as if your man may have been in Gib for the 1911 census. He should be in the Overseas Military section which is currently described as "coming soon".

Christine

Jules65

master brummie
Thanks for the links Christine. It seems that the 1st South Staffs were in South Africa both before and after Gib. So it is entirely possible that he was there. Will keep a look out for the Overseas Military section. Thanks again.